C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:33 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Shocks???

I'm ready to get shocks for my 63' driver with a 7-leaf rear spring and coil front (have no idea what the front springs are, but they are not stock).

Considering KYB gas shocks @ $150.00 or AC Delco gas @ $120.00 set. I know that the Bilstiens are pricy but not sure whether my use would justify the cost.

The car will be used only for cruising around town and an occasional romp here or there. No track racing or slalom. I don't have alot of experience with "road performance" as it were.

Any opinions as to shock performance vs price or any other input in this area would be appreciated!

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

The AC Delco are junk.... They are if I'm remembering my last conversation about them just Gabriel Gas shocks.. All that has been done is a AC Delco sticker stuck on them.. I put Bilstiens on mine and the difference is dramatic, well worth the intial buy in.. I have a composite rear spring though and that makes a lot of difference. If it was me buy the Bilstiens or the KYB's, there is another that Duke recommends but I can't think of it right now... Dave..
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Duke likes Spax, in part because they are adjustable, as I recall

I have the Bilstein Sports all around, and I toss my 65 into corners quite often and am happy with the results (of course, tires / shocks / springs should all be chosen to function well together, and will be as good as the weekest link.)
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Ooops!

Originally Posted by ctjackster
Duke likes Spax, in part because they are adjustable, as I recall

I have the Bilstein Sports all around, and I toss my 65 into corners quite often and am happy with the results (of course, tires / shocks / springs should all be chosen to function well together, and will be as good as the weekest link.)
Yeah, Completely forgot about the tires, mine are 20 years old. I do not have a problem putting out the money for the best, and that includes tires. But, What Dave mentioned is exactly what I want to avoid, spending big $$$ for something that could be had @ Wal-mart and is just re-labeled!

So, are these Perelli 4000 tires still available? I've seen alot of conversation about them. Whats a good combination when starting from scratch, Tires, shocks, etc.? Never heard of SPAX either.
Mike
Old 04-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,488 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

In your case the tires should come first since they are dangerously old. The shocks can be next, too many to choose from. Another simple addition is to put urethane bushings on the front sway bar and or install a rear bar. All add up to increased handling with min. cost and labor. Good luck! Dennis
Old 04-15-2005, 06:43 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Poly,

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
In your case the tires should come first since they are dangerously old. The shocks can be next, too many to choose from. Another simple addition is to put urethane bushings on the front sway bar and or install a rear bar. All add up to increased handling with min. cost and labor. Good luck! Dennis
I did get poly for the sway bar end links front, and poly for the rear leaf ends, and the t-arms. I had not considered a rear sway bar. I do intend to get new tires. They just seem to be so far into the future. But I guess I am getting close to a rolling chassis (with the old tires).
Old 04-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

I may be speaking out of turn but I thought that unless you go to a bigger front bar adding a rear bar was a bad idea?? Just thinking out loud here.... As for tires they make a BIG difference in handling... Dave...
Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Pirelli 400o tires are still available and worth the investment. There are reports of their demise but I had no problem finding them, installing them and for the last 2 weeks, enjoying the heck out of them.

And who cares if they stop making them, the set you buy now will be used for ___ years anyway.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:51 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Not set up for performance...

Originally Posted by 65nassau
Pirelli 400o tires are still available and worth the investment. There are reports of their demise but I had no problem finding them, installing them and for the last 2 weeks, enjoying the heck out of them.

And who cares if they stop making them, the set you buy now will be used for ___ years anyway.
...For the most part i.e. 3/4" front sway bar, unknown front springs etc. They may be touring springs in the front, 14-3/4" free height, .562" wire, with 6 coils, definitly shorter than the originals. An odd-ball 7-leaf spring an so on.

I plan on keeping what I have (hardware), but will need to find the best tire, shock combo that I can to work with what I have. Where did you get your Perelli's? Are they available at any tire outlet or can they be ordered from their website?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,267 Posts

FWIW I have Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks and love them. They ride exactly as I recall the original shocks riding back when midyears were new. I've gone to one track event, a driving school, and the shocks were not a problem at all. The two driving instructors who drove my 67 roadster said it felt great at high and low speeds to them. All of my driving is of the normal kind, except that I take one long drive each year, for several thousand miles. I have the 9-leaf spring. If you go with Bilsteins, make sure to get the Heavy Duty shocks, not the Sport shocks. The names are backwards, because the HD shocks are meant for the street and have a normal ride, while the Sport shocks are meant for the track/autocross and ride pretty rough for most folks.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:20 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thank You one and all...

Very informative thread for me!
Mike S.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:33 PM
sting66cp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgsouthard
I'm ready to get shocks for my 63' driver with a 7-leaf rear spring and coil front (have no idea what the front springs are, but they are not stock).

Considering KYB gas shocks @ $150.00 or AC Delco gas @ $120.00 set. I know that the Bilstiens are pricy but not sure whether my use would justify the cost.

The car will be used only for cruising around town and an occasional romp here or there. No track racing or slalom. I don't have alot of experience with "road performance" as it were.

Any opinions as to shock performance vs price or any other input in this area would be appreciated!

Thanks, Mike
I have a set of KYB shocks that only have about 2 thousand miles on them, they are in great shape. I will make you a super deal on them if you are interested...
Old 04-16-2005, 02:35 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
.......I have the Bilstein Sports all around, and I toss my 65 into corners quite often and am happy with the results ...
same here, with the 7 leaf setup........ i recommend them, that's the "SPORTS", i think Vettebrakes is now giving a 10% discount to CF members, and they have them.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 318 Posts

I did get poly for the sway bar end links front, and poly for the rear leaf ends, and the t-arms. I had not considered a rear sway bar. I do intend to get new tires. They just seem to be so far into the future. But I guess I am getting close to a rolling chassis (with the old tires).
what front bar were you planning on using? i have a very clean stock BB (7/8") front bar off my car if you're interested.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:07 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default My Original Parts...

Originally Posted by 66427-450
what front bar were you planning on using? i have a very clean stock BB (7/8") front bar off my car if you're interested.
...are what I'll try to keep on the car, as I'm not too savvy as to what modifications work best with other modifications. The mods on the car now (7-leaf and different front coils), were on there when I got the car 20+ yrs ago and the car has handled nicely.

Fact is, I don't yet know if a larger sway bar would be a benefit to me or not. Though I will keep this thread in the event that I learn more as I begin to drive this car a little harder.

I have always treated the car like it was made of fine crystal for some reason????? :o

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

...I plan on keeping what I have (hardware), but will need to find the best tire, shock combo that I can to work with what I have. Where did you get your Perelli's? Are they available at any tire outlet or can they be ordered from their website?

I did a google search for pirelli tires bremerton washington and it was not quite specific enough. I bet you can call tire shops in your area and they'll know who carries Pirelli and probably direct you to them.

I also got a few results from mail order shops ---here they are:

Pirelli Tire
Find the Right Pirelli Tires for
Your Car, SUV or Pickup- Learn More
www.us.pirelli.com Pirelli Tire Dealer

Shop for Tires & Wheels by Vehicle.
Research & Compare - Great Prices.
www.TireRack.com Pirelli Tires

Order Pirelli Tires Online With
Discount Prices and Fast Shipping
www.TireSavings.com

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put a set of bilsteins on a car and they make an enormous difference. Shocks that I have used in the past that suck-monroe and delco.

Get notified of new replies

To Shocks???

Old 04-18-2005, 01:29 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Goodness!

You guys are hitting me right in the wallet!!!

Sounds like everyone likes the "Bil's".

One good thing is, my wife asks me "what do all the guys on the forum say?".
Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Boogieman65
Racer

No intent to steal the thread, but a word on tires. I left the tires that came on my '65 on the car. They looked good, plenty of tread. Went several laps around TMS that May at 100-120MPH. The same July 4th my son borrowed the car, had a blowout and tread seperation that completely destroyed the LR corner of the car. Needless to say the damage was extensive. I rebuilt the rear suspension at that time. I'm not completely happy with the Delco shocks installed, but they're still there.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:14 PM
djclause
Instructor

Has anyone used the Napa Seno-trac shocks???

Bilstens are like $90 each, KYB are only $150 for a set of 4.. Napa is like $125

Quick Reply: Shocks???