C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Free C1 disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Free C1 disc brake conversion

I have a C1 disc brake conversion from ECI that has been off my car and sitting in the garage for two years. I put less than 1000 miles on it before doing the full C4 conversion on my 57' The set-up worked great and everything you need is there.

The rotors probably need cut and one of the spindle adapters was slightly damaged during removal. I think it could be used but a new one can't cost much.

Must be picked up, possibly delivered to Carlisle or you pay for shipping.

I lost my father in Dec. and miss him and his stories dearly and would like to hear some good Corvette stories and or pics. personal pics/ experiences. not pics from mags. and no I'm not depressed or going crazy just having some fun and trying to help a fellow Corvette guy. So lets have some fun with this and someone will be stopping better soon.

I will show preference to C1 owners that are going use them but will consider all. I don't think I have any C2 parts left to give away but I will look and maybe add something

Louiem would have won if he had a C1. His track story and pics made me smile all day.

I will pick my favorite story or picture next Friday.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had I not already done a conversion for my '57 in '96 I'd be doing a backflip right now.

I wanted to be able to stop as well as go when I was leading the Cypress Gardens (and later Orlando) NCRS Road Tours.

Since the original owner "drove it hard and put it away wet" for 34 years (I bought it from his widow in '91) I have some catching up to do. (Just check out the avatar - that was in Colorado on the NCRS Road Tour to Monterey - yup, that's around 120. I buried the speedo two days later in NV but coudn't bring myself to take a hand off the wheel and snap a picture. Tyler - back me up here...)

I hope this goes to someone else who drives the stink outta their car!
Old 04-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio

My father and I met you at I think Bloomington or Bowling Green I don't remember. I had a 57 fuelie I drove from Jersey. My father loved your car and the history. You talked to him quite a bit telling him about the history of your car. People like you make me love the hobby and not "business" of Corvettes Thanks
Old 04-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

my fathers gunna be pissed when I tell him this..

he put his ECI kit on last summer
Old 04-07-2005, 03:17 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Bob, I sent you a PM with some pics and a brief history of my car. If you haven't found a home for the brakes yet, I'd be interested. Thank you, Wes
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C-1 Conversion

I have a 1960 vette, live in New Jersey ,will be glad to take them off your hands , Am retired as of last March , I love my car , think about all the time. redvette1960@earthlink.net
Old 04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Me too

Originally Posted by lovevettes
I have a 1960 vette, live in New Jersey ,will be glad to take them off your hands , Am retired as of last March , I love my car , think about all the time. redvette1960@earthlink.net

I live in Maryland and would like a chance at it also.. Thanks Gordon.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:17 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
My father and I met you at I think Bloomington or Bowling Green I don't remember. I had a 57 fuelie I drove from Jersey. My father loved your car and the history. You talked to him quite a bit telling him about the history of your car. People like you make me love the hobby and not "business" of Corvettes Thanks
Another good memory with your father. I'm really glad I had a hand (or mouth, as it were) in it. Thank you! Next time we meet I'll be happy to letcha do a burnout with my car, then !
Old 04-09-2005, 07:34 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Who is the lucky one.....(and why)....??
Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I have a good home for your rotors, if I was selected, I would tell my dad he had to come and help me put them on as that was part of the deal when I got them.....I would post pictures here for all to see of my dad and I working over the car....here is some of my life experiences with my dad and my cars......

When I was 17...and that was a long time ago, I had a 1966 bug that I used to run the daylights out of.....finally broke a ring and so began the work on the new motor.....my dad at the time was an Oldmobile Service Director at a local dealership....we worked together on getting that motor put back into shape...decided on bigger pistons and cylinders, cam shaft, dual port heads, headers and dual 2 bbl Holly carbs....my little screamer went down the 1/4 mile at 75mph in 18secs....we had a lot of fun putting that thing back together....I used to work at the garage for summer jobs....doing all the crap work like sweeping floors to cleaning the bathrooms (I hated that one!).

Fast forward 32 years and I still remember those days when I went to work with him and will always cherish those times...I remember driving to work with him and he wanted to listen to Pete Franklin on talk radio...me, I wanted to listen to the Rolling Stones or something else....he always cut me a break and we would listen what I wanted to...must have hurt his ears (ha-ha)...I have to laugh now, because here I am.....riding home from work listening to talk radio sports shows like he did.....

My dad is almost 82, but lives 400 miles away...I go to see him when ever I get a chance...my gal thinks family is really important, both sides, unlike my ex....so I am able to make up for some lost time...

I have bought a few vettes over the last couple of years and when I call and tell him what I bought...he just laughs....about a year or so ago, I found a 1960 vette in Maryland about an hours drive and asked him if he would go take a look at it for me....he said SURE! He found the owners house and went over the car with me on our cellphones. At the end, I talked to the owner and we settled on a price on the phone and my dad gave him a $500 down payment.

For the next two days, my dad called me 2 times a day and was worried that somehow he had helped me buy a piece of junk and was losing sleep over the idea even to the point of offering to just let the $500 deposit go and not pay him back (thats what dads do).....I had to reassure him that I had gone and looked at a lot of Corvettes and that indeed I fully understood what I was getting myself into.

Pictures are always better than the actual car, and this car was no different. In the picture it looked like it was ready for Bloomington, in person, I think it would be parked outside of Bloomington in an enclosed trailer out of sight....here is a picture of the car as I saw it and bought it...

The car sat for a couple of months and didn't run...I bought my dad a plane ticket and he came up to Ohio and we started working on the car together....it was like old times...I really enjoyed myself and sure enough we got the car running again and together (well mostly my dad) it was running VERY smooth compared to not running at all. We spent Saturday fussing over the car...here is a picture from that day...my gal and my dad....

I have the car at the shop now and have pulled the motor to start to do a transformation on the car....my dad asks how things are going, we talk and also laugh about my problem (too many Corvettes in the garage)...I talk to him almost everyday, sometimes we don't say too much other than how are you doing and whats going on in your life....but we always end the conversation with a goodbye and "I love you"........
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
71zman
Racer

Duntov-097
I too like corvette stories and documented the life and times of my 1960 Corvette - the "Georgie Mae" - on a website my brother did for me - check it out -it is a long story but was really fun to write - great memories http://vette.theinfogroup.net

Old 04-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default My '60.

When my Dad was about 15 (1966?), a guy down the street bought a '57 Vette, and after a conversation with the owner, my Dad told him he'd like to buy the car from him some day. In late 1970, he spotted ad ad in the Houston paper for the car and called him up. "remember me?" he asked and went and bought it.
Growing up, we had a blast in that car. It was Venetian Red with white coves. 283 2x4 and the 4speed. 2 tops. I loved all years of Vettes and especially solid axles.
Fast forward to 2004, I'm 33 and I've had a '92 Vette since '96. I would have bought an old one at the time if I had a garage for it. Still loving Vettes and going to all the Vette events I can find.
On May 7 2004 I was driving past a house that was having a garage sale, and spotted a big poster of a red/red white cove 1960 Vette. I got out, bought it for a whopping 25 cents and hung it on my garage wall.
The next morning, I went to a small Corvette club gathering in Ft Worth with my '92. I was enjoying the show and hanging out with friends when this car shows up. its a red/red '60 and its for sale. It is identical to the car in the poster and it was underpriced, I thought. I had a few $ saved up for a C5 'vert and I start to quietly freak out, because I think I can make it happen.
And I did. A few days later I bought it. My eyes welled up but didn't leak. I felt like a damn ninny. It fulfilled one of my greatest dreams, especially since the '57 had escaped the family. I think someone was telling me that car was for me by putting that poster in front of me. The personal plates on it say "IT WS F8." It was fate.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

Wellllll, here is a story I used to tell my fine son, and he believed me, at first anyway, afterall, I'm his Father, AND a Corvette owner and neither would ever stretch the truth, right?

Story begins:
Right after I bought my first new car(still own it), Ol Blue, a 1963 Corvette, the cops in the small town started harassing me, and of course I was NOT guilty of any wrong doing, especially speeding or dragracing. It was not my fault, it must have been one of my two cousins that also had Corvettes.

Sooooo, when I saw a cop car with it's light blinking and someone stopped I would drive down the side streets and come out ahead of them about 3 or 4 blocks down. Well, on my 63, you can push the headlight switch part way in and the taillights will go out. I would pull out on the highway with the taillights out, rev it up to 4 grand and pop the clutch and head out of town.

I could see in my rear view mirror the cop lights pulling out and heading after me. I pulled off the main highway and the cops did too so I headed for the crooked back roads. All of a sudden when powersliding around a 90 degree turn, my headlights went out!!!! Not a big deal since it was a moonlit night. I looked back and saw headlights coming a little closer behind me.

No matter how fast I drove or took corners, those headlights just kept on following me. After exhausting all of the roads that I knew I felt that I'd just better give up and wait for the cops and take my medicine, so I pulled over and waited. Well those lights were coming at me so fast that I thought they were going to hit me when all of a sudden, MY HEADLIGHTS CAME ON, but the cops that were chasing me had disappeared.

Then it dawned on me. My Ol Blue 63 Corvette was SO DAMN FASSSSST and cornered so well that I had outrun my own headlights and they could only catch up when I stopped.

True story? Well, the first two paragraphs of the story are true, many many times! WHATTA CAR!!!
Ol Blue
http://www.knology.net/~corvettes/63vett.jpg
Old 04-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Great stories. Any stories are welcomed doesn't have to be father son. Just cool Corvette experiences.

This will be a tough decision. Maybe I will give everyone a part of the system and then you will all have a little head start

Keep the stories coming
Old 04-10-2005, 11:53 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Bob, your offer of the brake kit is very generous and I'm sure some lucky soul will put it to good use. I have a story for you but I will decline being entered for the kit as I am kind of old school and am content with my drum brakes which I upgraded with premium carbon metallic linings a few years ago. They stop like crazy. Anyway here's my story.

In 1967, when I entered college I had a friend and fellow student who bought a 1961 Corvette from one of his friends who was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA.. I always saw my Friend, Larry, cruising the campus trolling for chicks. I think it was a fairly successful endeavor and most of the time I wasn't invited since it was just a "2 seater". At the time Larry got the Corvette it had a fuel injected 327 with 456 rear gears and it was a screamer. Students just didn't have those kinds of cars as most were poor like me (drove 59 bug). Anyway needless to say Larry was of the age where testosterone trumped good sense and he had a hard time keeping his foot off of the loud pedal. It wasn't long before the cops were keeping an eye on him and one night he was stop light racing and the law gave pursuit. He led them on a high speed chase through town and in the process of drifting around a corner he smacked a curb and broke something on the suspension. Larry had had a few brewskis and therefore promptly bailed and took off on foot and hid out in somebody’s hedge. Well the police brought out the dogs and it wasn't long before they were on Larry's trail and flushed him out. Larry went directly to the crowbar hotel for the night and ended up losing his license and insurance. He had no choice but to park the Corvette. It wasn't likely to be driven again soon as the police didn't much see the humor in his antics. Larry soon needed money and knowing he wouldn't have a license again any time soon sold the engine out of the Corvette to a guy to put in a hot rod. The Corvette then sat forlorn at a relative's house but Larry wouldn't entertain any offers to buy it saying that someday he would fix it up again. Larry then left college and entered the Air Force for a short stint and then moved to Tacoma and towed the Corvette down there. There it sat for 3 or 4 more years till Larry decided to move back north. Over the years we frequently visited and spoke about the Corvette but he was still not ready to part with it. When he moved back to town he didn't have anywhere to store it so he asked me if he could store it at my place. I said sure even though he had no intention of selling it to me. Although the Corvette was getting pretty weather beaten it was still pretty much intact except for the fact that it had no engine. We towed it up and parked it in my back yard and covered it up with a tarp. It remained there for about a year and a half and I was getting to the point where I had almost given up ever being able to purchase it from Larry. His intentions of fixing it up were genuine but he really wasn't that mechanically inclined and always seemed to be short on cash. Up till this time Larry had been a bachelor and now he was seeing a girl on a regular basis so his interest shifted away from cars and more towards settling down with a bride. One day he came over and asked me if I still wanted to buy the Corvette. He said he had proposed and was getting married and needed some money. I said I was still interested but I had no idea what he was going to ask for it. I offered him $550.00 for it and he accepted. Now back then $550.00 was a lot of money and a decent running Corvette could be had for $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 so it was a fair offer considering that I would have to rebuild everything from the wiper motor to the rear end cause it had sat for so long, much of the time outside. Anyway I spent the next 2 years rebuilding it. That was 32 years ago and wow what a ride its been since then. It saw the birth and growing up of my 2 kids, and now 2 grand kids. My son and daughter drove it in high school homecoming parades and to senior proms. We've driven it cross country and back on route 66, led the first leg of Stars and Stripes Across America from Blaine to Portland in 2002 and participated in track days and autocrosses. It is the only Corvette I have ever owned and someday I guess it will likely pass on to my son.

My dad was a pilot for Lufthansa before WWII and he lost a leg in that war. After the war our family immigrated to the US and we lived in New Jersey for two years. My parents always liked the mountains so they loaded up then 7 kids(soon to be 8) in our 41 Nash with attached trailer and two old army tents and cross country we came to the Pacific Northwest where we have been ever since. My dad loved airplanes and flew Stearman crop dusters here till the FAA found out he had a wooden leg and grounded him. He continued to build experimentals and continued to fly them till an unfortunate aircraft accident took his life in 1994 at age 84. His first love was airplanes but he also loved automobiles and I was fortunate to get a picture of us in the Corvette before he died. My dear mother who is now 92 also loved to ride in the Corvette. Recently she broke her hip and is now slowly recovering. I courted my wife in this car and my wife always tells me that she figured that I would take at least as good care of her as I do the Corvette. The Corvette now has quite a few road scars but it’s still eager to get out and go at turn of the key. I can truly say I have never owned a more reliable trouble free and more fun to drive car.

Hope I haven't put you all to sleep. Thanks for reading.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

K2 Great story. ! Thanks for sharing
Old 04-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry for the delay with the winner. My connection at home has been FUBAR all weekend. I just came in from working on the car and it is working I had access at work but didn't haveaccess to everyones entries.

This has been a hard decision. Personally I wish I had never done this. So many of you have taken the time to PM , email, or post great stories and I hope no one takes my decision personally. It was given much thought.

How about a hand for the people who shared stories and don't even want the brakes. Reminds me thta most of us are just in it for the fun.

My winner PM'd me and I hope its okay to share his story. I will assume it is since others asked me not to.

MY 58 is the winner.

"Your offer is very kind and generous and your feelings for your father’s loss are not unknown.

I know everyone’s experiences are unique and different and I always dislike it when someone says I know exactly how you feel so I will only say, I have very similar feelings from the loss of my dad. First since I believe I am probably years older then you let me share some experience with the loss of a father. Time really does help. I do not know if you have children but it is amazing how alive your fathers spirit is when you share stories with your kids or you see little traits of your dad in your kids. My dad has been gone 19 years in March and some days it seems like it and other days its like he is still here. You might have noticed in many of my posts I share my love of cars with my son. He is my sidekick just as I was to my dad. You could say I am emulating my father and my relationship with my son. Every car show or swap meet I go to with my son turns into “when your grandfather and I used to go to a show” Sometimes I think he hates hearing me tell the stories but I notice more and more he asks to hear them over and over. My son is now 11 and he has been going with me to shows since he was 3 being pulled in a custom wagon, on one of our recent outings in march to the pomona car and swap meet he said I cant wait for me and you to be pulling my son around in this wagon at the car shows. Wow, call me an old sap but that just about did me in. you see I always say the saddest thing in my life is my kids never got to meet my dad. My father died a few months before my wedding, the funniest part is he was the first to say I was going to marry the girlfriend that became my wife and he always used to talk at the car shows about when My son and I will be doing this someday, I never new how right he was going to be.

Just to let you know what a great guy my dad was, I will point out that when I purchased my 58 (a basket case of parts, It was the only way I could afford a corvette) at an extremely young age and everyone ridiculed me for being stupid and acting foolish (which in hindsight I probably was) my dad just gave me words of encouragement and offered his help any way he could. He helped me find parts by walking swap meets and making phone calls, this may not sound like much but let me point out that he was attached to a dialysis machine for 5 to 6 hours a day and was slowly dying from kidney failure. At swap meets hardly able to walk and to proud to let me push him in a wheel chair he struggled from isle to isle, he would walk down the center isle and I would go up and back each row and meet him at the end of each row. I felt so bad for him but I enjoyed having him with me more then words can express. The memories of our time spent together on many things but especially my basketcase 58 has carried me through many hard times over the past 19 years and he definitely makes me a better parent because I always strive to live up to his standards.
Unfortunately my dad never got to see the 58 completed with earthly eyes (I am absolutely sure he has seen it from up above and can even tell you he probably solved some of my problems from there) but every day that goes by he lives in my heart my kids hearts and that silly basketcase 58 that my son and I are trying to finally finish.

Sorry if I have rambled on. It is hard to share with someone something so special as their father in a short note, however I did want to try.

If you do not find a great home for the brakes I would love to transplant the ECI parts into my car. I will gladly pay shipping and even send pictures of the install. Either way thanks for giving me an opportunity to brag a little about my dad and share some of my feelings with someone else who might know what I am rambling about.

I will attach a couple of photos so you can see 2 of the biggest projects of my life.

Thanks, and always cherish the time spent with your dad. "

Great story. Thank you everyone. I like the Corvette stories and experiences you guys share just as much as all the tech questions.

My 58 pm' me. I am going to Carlisle and will try to get the damaged adapter I was talking about before I send it to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Free C1 disc brake conversion

Old 04-18-2005, 02:51 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Duntov097, I think your pasing on of the brakes was a good thing. I find my self passing some of my old parts (mostly early Nova and Chevelle) from time to time to some of the younger guys, and occasionally show them how to fix something on their cars. It's how I started and a great way to pass the knowledge along.

My58, I can relate to your story, except I used to go to the Harley swap meets with my Dad as a kid at the old I-70 Drive-In in KC. We never did the car thing together, but my son and I do... he loves watching the cars run at LACR. My Father's kidneys were bad since before I was born. He got strep throat while he was in the service. He was in the field and didn't report it. The infection travelled to, and ultimately ruined his kidneys. I was able to donate a kidney to him in May of 96. It bought him a few more years to ride his bike and tend his garden. Unfortunately, he's gone, but I still have his old bike.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Duntov-097,

Thank you very much. It truly is a generous thing you are doing.

I have to admit to you that giving me the opportunity to express openly what has been in my heart about my dad was a more valuable gift then the brakes. It felt really great to tell someone else just how I feel inside. It also helps to remind me to remain calm and patient with my son as he learns and grows.

I also enjoyed other people’s stories so much that I have read them over and over. They were all so touching. So much for the stereotypical Macho image often associated with gearheads.

Thanks Again,

Robert

Originally Posted by wesmigletz
My Father's kidneys were bad since before I was born. He got strep throat while he was in the service. He was in the field and didn't report it. The infection travelled to, and ultimately ruined his kidneys. I was able to donate a kidney to him in May of 96. It bought him a few more years to ride his bike and tend his garden. Unfortunately, he's gone, but I still have his old bike.
Wes,

My dad had his transplant in 1976 it was at the very early stages of transplantation and rejection medication was almost non existent. At that time there was a lot of experimentation and he was in the hospital 96 days and the transplanted kidney worked for 3 minutes. This might have destroyed some people but my dad always looked at it as a positive and said hopefully the knowledge gained from his surgery will help others in the long run. 20 years later I hope your dad might have benefited from something learned from my fathers transplant.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:49 AM
62forlife
Heel & Toe

My58 – did you start installing the brakes that you received from Duntov97

How is the install going?

I have been lurking on this board for a long time and this thread has really put a smile on my face. I like family stories and enjoy seeing Corvette people help each other out.

Do you have all the pieces you need? Let me know what pieces you still need, I was cleaning out my garage and found some left over Brake parts from a similar upgrade.

If you need them they are yours for the low cost of free.

Let me know and please keep us posted as to your progress and to any help you may need with the installation.

Quick Reply: Free C1 disc brake conversion