C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Free C1 disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

62forlife,

No, the fun has not started yet.

Actually Duntov-097 was busy going to the Carlisle swap meet last weekend so he has not even sent them out yet. I am waiting patiently for him to contact me.

(Ok, who am I kidding. “Waiting patiently” I am on pins and needles like a kid on his birthday)

Thanks for the kind offer of your parts (the generosity around this forum never seems to end) However I have no idea what parts I am getting. I will contact Duntov-097 and see if I can figure out what I will need besides the stuff he is giving me and I will contact you.

Thank you also for offering to answer installation questions, I am sure this forum will be sick of my stupid installation questions by the time my son and are done with the brake conversion.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
62forlife
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 58,

Just checking in to see how the install went.

Do you have any photos you can post?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:54 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

62forlife,

Thanks for the interest but I have not started the conversion yet, a couple of things came up that delayed shipping of the parts, but as soon as I get them I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Like I said before I am sure you will no how its going by all the annoying questions I will be asking.

Thanks again for the interest, It is nice knowing others are out there who care.

Robert
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Robert,

The parts are going out today. Thanks for the understanding on the delay. Lifes a little crazy sometimes.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Bob (Duntov-097),

I received the parts today! Thanks again.

Since you know the condition they were in, can you recommend / suggest how you would go about the process before installing?

I will remove the bearings from the rotors and clean them up nicely, I know I need to have the rotors turned, so I will have that done.

Do I wire wheel or sandblast the surfaces of the rotors that will not get turned to remove the rust?

I will clean up the brackets and give them a fresh coat of paint.

I have No idea about the calipers, Do I just clean them up or do they need rebuilding? What about the pads?

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Bob thanks again!

Please anyone else that has any input please jump in, I can use all the advise I can get.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio

Robert,

Just a light cut on the rotors should clean them up fine. I would tape off the bearing area and bead blast the rest. I guess a wire wheel would clean them up too. The calipers should be fine, I would just clean them up. The lines were sealed off so nothing got in. The pads are new so no problem there either. I also found the valve ECI sent me
It is the one that goes beteween the front brake lines. I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Bob

Here are some links you might find helpful.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/image...brakefacts.gif

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/brake_facts.html
Old 05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Robert, I'm contemplating swapping a set of 4WDB from ECI to my '62. I'd be interested in hearing the problems and solutions you come up with. Wes
Old 05-25-2005, 05:17 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Bob,

Thanks for the info. It all helps.

Any idea what the rotors and calipers are actually from?

Originally Posted by wesmigletz
Robert, I'm contemplating swapping a set of 4WDB from ECI to my '62. I'd be interested in hearing the problems and solutions you come up with. Wes
Wes,

No problem. I will keep you posted. You are more then welcome to come by and see them if you like. I am only about 20 min (without traffic and a good tailwind) from the 118 and Ikea.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:36 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Robert, let me know when you're going to do the swap, and if possible, I'll swing by. Wes
Old 05-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=my58]Bob,

Thanks for the info. It all helps.

Any idea what the rotors and calipers are actually from?

The pads and rotors are off a Camaro
Old 05-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SebringBill
I buried the speedo two days later in NV but coudn't bring myself to take a hand off the wheel and snap a picture. Tyler - back me up here...)
The rest of the story, he had 4:11 speedo gear on a 3:08 rear!LOL It buried the neetle so far it broke the solder joint, we had to fix it in the parking lot.

Tyler
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
The rest of the story, he had 4:11 speedo gear on a 3:08 rear!LOL It buried the neetle so far it broke the solder joint, we had to fix it in the parking lot.

Tyler
Thanks a heap. The gear was only off by one tooth - nowhere near that difference. My guess is I had a gear for 3:36 (because I replaced the gear for the 3:70 rear when I replaced the rear).

Wise guy.

Quick Reply: Free C1 disc brake conversion