C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The mother of all questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default The mother of all questions!!

A plea to the Corvette guru's! I have recently acquired a cobbled together 63 convertible. While I should just turn it into a cool looking planter in my front yard, I have the desire to save it's sole and return it to the open road. My intention is to use a tubular frame utilizing C4 rear and C4 or C5 front suspension. That's the easy part.......the problem is the windshield frame has had some poor repairs (the frame had been cut off and replaced...if you can call it that!). At this point I do not know if it is dimensionally or angularly correct in terms of geometry and there is also rust thru on the bottom of the windshield frame. In short...it all needs to go. I do have access to a good front section of a cage that would make for a nice clean repair. I believe the best way to do this is to cut it at the hinge post and use the holes/openings for the alignment of the new repair piece. Has someone out there done a similar repair? I think it would be helpful if I had a brace made from a true and square cage (any takers?) that would run from the hinge post to the rear upright (door striker area) and cross side to side to form a square to ensure front/back side/side dimensions. I'm all ears!!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Default oh-oh

The silence is making me a little nervous here!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
1964coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's just a very very very big project you're thinking about taking on there. more power to you when you get it on the road but it's going to very expensive and require a lot of fabrication.

andrew
Old 03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
65RDSTR
Racer

There are three ways of going about what you are trying to do. First way is to sell the thing now as fast as you can. Second is to find a shop brave enough to do it and pay them two million dollars. Third is you can put your hat on sideways and get a patch that says Buba and go to work. Im took the third option myself. I have a 65 that looks as if it had been cart wheeled down a cliff. Most people wouldnt touch these things but I see it as a challenge. I starting at the bottom and worked my way up. I have a 1979 frame that I repositioned the body mounts on to fit the 65 along with some other modifications to the kick ups. Anyway on to the bird cage. If you know your body is straight you can use it as a jig. If it looks like your windshield frame was re-attached and things arnt right I would just hack it off again. Use your windshield, dash support and stainless trim to check the shape of the frame and bend where needed. I used a pipe wrench to twist places and a large pipe and wood blocks. I jumped on it and used every crude back yard buba technique I could think up. It eventually submitted and I went to work with a welder to reinforce all the week spots I created. I then temporarly attached the dash to the windshield frame and hinge piller post fiberglass and then attached the hard top to the windshield frame with the correct parts. Wala theres my Jig. Tack it in place so it stays put then you can remove the dash and top before going to town with the welder. It takes alot of putting parts on and taking them off again to see where things need to be but if you have the patients go for it. If not see option one or two.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:54 PM
64mike
Cruising

65RDSTR, I am searching for someone who has done a frame swap. Can you explain what it takes? I have a 64 cpe body, and a 1969 frame. (The frame has the kick ups) I have posted evrywhere, and e-mailed most of the top vette suppliers, but no luck

Feel free to e-mail me off-list. Any help would be a great help.

Thank you for your time!

Mike
e-mail: teamfrr@aol.com
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 65RDSTR
There are three ways of going about what you are trying to do. First way is to sell the thing now as fast as you can. Second is to find a shop brave enough to do it and pay them two million dollars. Third is you can put your hat on sideways and get a patch that says Buba and go to work.
Thats good. How about the planter idea. We will probably have a few of these over this.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Ha-Ha Gordon!! guess who's helping wise guy. I know you can operate a grinder. Don't forget to bring your "I'm with Bubba tee shirt" (thanks 63RDSTR you got the spirit!). Have some faith folks! I live in VA Beach, we have NASA, Newport News Shipbuilding and some top chassis engineers right here! If we can build race cars, submarines and aircraft carriers how hard can a 63 Vert be? I'll be sure to post the pictures of Gordon and I standing in the middle of this thing pissing like two garden statues after we give up!! I would love to hear some more stories from the brave soles like 63RDSTR that took the challenge.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:39 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I have purchased some basket case cars but nothing this amazing. If god guarantees you the time to complete this you may be the first one to reach 150. PLEASE send pictures.... I love a good under dog !!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Game On!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Topless. Changing the windshield frame on a vert is easy. If I had pics of your car it would be easier to explain. They like to rust at the bottom of the frame where it is welded to the top of the cowl. There is a flange at the ends of the windshield frame on both sides. Drill out the welds and lift the windsheild frame off. It takes some time but it's not hard work. This is assuming that there is no nose on the car. You can install it by using the doors as a guide. Fit the doors to the car and use the doors to help set the frame back on. plug weld the holes and your done. As for the post about using the later frame. Thats not hard either. But you need alittle more measuring and welding skills for that. I would do both jobs if you where in my area. Just use common sence. All you need is time a welder and a tape measure. If you don't want the car let my know I may buy it.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

OK, just got some of these and need to try them on a tough project. We can remove anything now!

Get notified of new replies

To The mother of all questions!!

Quick Reply: The mother of all questions!!