Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WTB 63 SWC for restomod project...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB 63 SWC for restomod project...

Need a good donor car for a '63 SWC restomod project. The car will remain original on the exterior, interior etc. but will get all new 2014 underneath. Finders fee goes to someone that finds me the car!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Harry Hood
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 37 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default 67 corvette

Originally Posted by Heartland Customs
Need a good donor car for a '63 SWC restomod project. The car will remain original on the exterior, interior etc. but will get all new 2014 underneath. Finders fee goes to someone that finds me the car!
How about a 67 coupe with air condition. It has no motor or trans.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM
eyedrron
Advanced

Default 67 coupe

Originally Posted by Harry Hood
How about a 67 coupe with air condition. It has no motor or trans.
How much for the coupe?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:15 PM
BigDave6
Instructor

Not mine, and I can't vouch for the stared condition. Car is in northern Canada.
Cheers!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's going to end up a resto-mod, why pay the premium for a real SWC? Get a 1964 coupe, put in a split-window, and save yourself about 20k+.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 AM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pullin-gs
If it's going to end up a resto-mod, why pay the premium for a real SWC? Get a 1964 coupe, put in a split-window, and save yourself about 20k+.
Because a '63 SWC clone doesn't bring close to 300k on resale like a real SWC restomod does.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because a '63 SWC clone doesn't bring close to 300k on resale like a real SWC restomod does.
"real SWC" restomod?
Back on topic.....since cost is not an issue, how about this one (mine)?:
95k and it's yours (its a real one).
Just kidding.....best of luck with your project!

Last edited by pullin-gs; 05-27-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:23 AM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Sent you a PM...
Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

The 63 " body only " owners are getting scarse. Why would anyone pass on a bargain coupe for a small finders fee? It's an old story played over and over, buy cheap, add a/c, LS-3, suspension, paint, leather, and to the auction for a huge profit.
An after market body makes perfect sense in this application. You get the new strong body, same design, optioned the way you order ( flairs, trunk, but laking that original tag ( vin plate ). If your building ( owning ) a resto- mod its a driver, not a garage queen. Why does it have to have the birth certificate ? I have a feeling it has a lot to do with ego vs someone calling it a " kit car ".
Personally I hope I never sell to a restocrater ( a new term ) or a foreign country. The Corvette is an American classic that belongs on American roads & viewed more often.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Completely agree.

Once you commit to a full-on restomod (not just a modified car) and the 6-figure expectation that goes with it, I just don't see the upside to starting with an original body. What does it matter at that point? It's not like someone is going to bring it back to stock.

And to another point made above: when I was SWC shopping last year, it was remarkable how many times ''I have a buyer in Germany" came up from sellers, to the point where it was clear they weren't just blowing smoke up my XXX ... they were serious. It's a little unnerving that one reason these cars are becoming more scarce is the fact they are getting on a boat.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 AM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
The 63 " body only " owners are getting scarse. Why would anyone pass on a bargain coupe for a small finders fee? It's an old story played over and over, buy cheap, add a/c, LS-3, suspension, paint, leather, and to the auction for a huge profit.
An after market body makes perfect sense in this application. You get the new strong body, same design, optioned the way you order ( flairs, trunk, but laking that original tag ( vin plate ). If your building ( owning ) a resto- mod its a driver, not a garage queen. Why does it have to have the birth certificate ? I have a feeling it has a lot to do with ego vs someone calling it a " kit car ".
Personally I hope I never sell to a restocrater ( a new term ) or a foreign country. The Corvette is an American classic that belongs on American roads & viewed more often.
I would agree with you on using the aftermarket bodies, however the "kit" bodies dont bring the money at resale. The customers that we build restomods for are willing to spend the money to have top level cars built, but they still care about their return if they ever choose to sell one. Maybe one day when ALL of the C1/C2 cars are gone, the aftermarket body industry till flourish, but right now it just doesnt make sense unless you are building a car that you plan on keeping forever. Also by the time I buy an aftermarket body and then all of the parts to go with it, I have as much in it as I would if I find a REAL car in the "project car" stage. So why have an aftermarket body if I can have the real thing for about the same price?
Food for thought.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I would agree with you on using the aftermarket bodies, however the "kit" bodies dont bring the money at resale. The customers that we build restomods for are willing to spend the money to have top level cars built, but they still care about their return if they ever choose to sell one. Maybe one day when ALL of the C1/C2 cars are gone, the aftermarket body industry till flourish, but right now it just doesnt make sense unless you are building a car that you plan on keeping forever. Also by the time I buy an aftermarket body and then all of the parts to go with it, I have as much in it as I would if I find a REAL car in the "project car" stage. So why have an aftermarket body if I can have the real thing for about the same price?
Food for thought.
I Seriously Doubt!...an "Aftermarket Body" & "The real thing" are..."About the same price"..If this was even remotely true, Why would anyone buy an aftermarket body?!...that's comparable to saying...I could buy a real Renoir or a forgery for "About the same price". Plus since you are NOT using the original parts on a Split Window, as evidenced by you using a completely different drivetrain,suspension,braking,wiring,etc ,etc to build your "Restomod", why the claim " I find a REAL car in the "project stage"?. My research shows a aftermarket Split Window body can be purchased for $4,500.00

http://www.corbinrods.com/1963_corve...it_window.html

I DON"T believe there are ANY "Split" projects that can be had/purchased for $4,500.00...Mark

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 06-03-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
I Seriously Doubt!...an "Aftermarket Body" & "The real thing" are..."About the same price"..If this was even remotely true, Why would anyone buy an aftermarket body?!...that's comparable to saying...I could buy a real Renoir or a forgery for "About the same price"...Mark
Mark you are proving my point exactly, there is no reason to use a replica body! We do this every day and no every part of this business so let me break it down for you...

Replica C2 body with hood = 18k

This comes wih absolutely no parts to use or refurbish. So you will litrally have to purchase every single part, clip, bolt, screw in the car to build it. Sit down with a Corvette Central Catalog and start at Page 1 and start adding that up. I can tell you from experience, you will have as much or more than you will if you go out and find a project C2 body that has all the parts and start with that. The big difference is that when you are done you have the REAL thing which brings a premium price.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Mark you are proving my point exactly, there is no reason to use a replica body! We do this every day and no every part of this business so let me break it down for you...

This comes wih absolutely no parts to use or refurbish. So you will litrally have to purchase every single part, clip, bolt, screw in the car to build it. Sit down with a Corvette Central Catalog and start at Page 1 and start adding that up. I can tell you from experience, you will have as much or more than you will if you go out and find a project C2 body that has all the parts and start with that. The big difference is that when you are done you have the REAL thing which brings a premium price.
Agreed! Not to mention the aftermarket bodies I have seen in person, downs body, are horrible and would cost a fortune to fit correctly.

The body the other poster linked to is a drag car body and would not work for a restomod project. Another huge issue is getting a state assigned VIN...in some states you would need to meet current EPA regulations. A replica 63 would be worthless in my opinion.

Last edited by 65silververt; 06-03-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I completely understand the cost to build a car, buying it "Piece by Piece". Herein lays my confusion/misunderstanding. You state your buyers want the "REAL thing", so my question would be..."How is a 63 Split Window Restomod the "Real thing", if by definition, a "Restomod" is a designer's concept & altering of the "Original Design"?

If you take a Renoir & add just "1" additional brush stroke, it is no longer "Original".

As there is by NO stretch of the imagination, a direct correlation between an "Original unmolested factory 63 Split" & a 63 Split Restomod....But as they say..."To each his own"...Mark
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
I completely understand the cost to build a car, buying it "Piece by Piece". Herein lays my confusion/misunderstanding. You state your buyers want the "REAL thing", so my question would be..."How is a 63 Split Window Restomod the "Real thing", if by definition, a "Restomod" is a designer's concept & altering of the "Original Design"?

If you take a Renoir & add just "1" additional brush stroke, it is no longer "Original".

As there is by NO stretch of the imagination, a direct correlation between an "Original unmolested factory 63 Split" & a 63 Split Restomod....But as they say..."To each his own"...Mark
The determing factor that makes the car "the real thing" is the presence of the original Corvette VIN Tag. We can sit here and talk about this until we are blue in the face, but it is a fact that an original '63 that has been turned into a restomod brings much more at resale than a '63 replica body or an original restored '63. Just a couple of weeks ago one brought 279k at the Mecum auction. Ever seen a replica Corvette even get close to that? I haven't

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To WTB 63 SWC for restomod project...

Quick Reply: WTB 63 SWC for restomod project...