Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WTB: 1963 SW Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default WTB: 1963 SW Coupe

Looking for a 63 Split Window coupe.
NOM, changed color, both OK
Must have 4-speed (or later 5-speed)
No rust, repair or welding on frame or birdcage
Prefer no red exterior/interior, no white exterior
No major body or paint needs
Project ok but only insofar as mechanical needs
Rocky Mountains, Southwest, west of the Mississippi
Send pics, price and location
Priced $65-$75K.
Email <landeira@colorado.edu>, call (303/651-2599) or PM me
thanks
Ric

Last edited by Ferrolanoman; 05-07-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: lack of responses thus changed criteria
Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Have one if interested...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Tom,
Thank you, we've exchanged a couple of emails. I'm not dismissing it, but your car would be a lot more appealing if it were a few thousand miles closer to me.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Still actively looking. Because only two people have contacted me I realize that I may have to widen my original criteria. So, willing to up the buying price into the low $70K's and also will now consider a driving distance of 750 miles from Denver or meet seller half way. On the other hand, will not buy sight unseen or have the car shipped--no exceptions. Call me, email me or PM me.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:53 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Just a note, I see you have had your ad up for 4 days... understand that you will probably have to take some time on this. Myself, Frankie and a few other members searched for and bought SWCs in this odd market in the last couple years, and it took us all some time, miles and adjustment of expectations and parameters to get it done.

You'll find it, just understand it might take some time and kissing a few frogs!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

I know, I know, I know that I have to be patient. Thanks for the encouraging words. And, need I say it? If you know of any owners who may be thinking (even if it's just thinking) of selling, please point them my way.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

ttt
Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...-/281321464927

Looks pretty nice,,,,,,

Eric
Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Looks nice BUT the location is still the East coast, a long way from Colorado. I may have to give in eventually, which means fly in, get a hotel, inspect, make the deal and arrange for payment and shipping. A lot of time and work which takes the fun out of it for me. I'm still holding out for something closer.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Please notice at the top of the thread that I've changed/broadened my criteria (price, color, location) in my search for a good/very good driver quality 1963 SW coupe.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Not to rub this in your face, but there's a '63 SW about 5 miles from me that hasn't moved in 30 years. Can't remember which 327 it has but it's a red on black 4speed. It's owned by somewhat of a screwball who parked it in his basement and disassembled it. It's a survivor by definition but the downside is the guy will never sell it and has no heirs. I hate to imagine what wlll become of it when the time comes. The guy has also been collecting parts all things chevy since the early '70s but only lets the common stuff go, and he knows what he has. I'm just happy I get to view his stuff every so often. We really meet interesting people in this hobby of ours!

And yes, I will keep my eyes peeled for you.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

nutt,
Sounds like your neighbor's is pure unobtanium. I've gotten one or two responses, I've answered them and nothing to show for phone and email exchanges. One guy is travelling and will contact me when he returns "at the end of July." Another just can't decide on a firm price. I've always believed that it was more fun to buy than to sell, now I'm beginning to doubt this bit of wisdom.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrolanoman
nutt,
Sounds like your neighbor's is pure unobtanium. I've gotten one or two responses, I've answered them and nothing to show for phone and email exchanges. One guy is travelling and will contact me when he returns "at the end of July." Another just can't decide on a firm price. I've always believed that it was more fun to buy than to sell, now I'm beginning to doubt this bit of wisdom.
First of all, not trying to tell you how to suck eggs

I lived in Ontario and bought a car in Arizona totally unseen. There are ways to do it that can protect you, from a scam and from yourself.

I had the car I was interested in, sent to a restoration shop in Arizona. Told them what I wanted and they did a 300 point inspection including frame straightness door alignment, fiberglass inspection etc etc. All the stuff I may or may not of thought of myself. They found one issue with the car.
I then had the car taken to another restoration shop across town and made sure it was not affiliated in any way with restoration shop number 1.

They did there 300 point inspection. Total cost for both inspections $620

The results from inspection number 1 and number 2 were virtually the same except Restoration shop number 2 picked up something restoration shop number 1 did not. Both items were not an issue for me.

I then had the owner send me the title by courier. Once I was in possession of the signed over title I deposited the money in his account and did not let him pick up the car from Shop number 2. This may be seen as sticky but He has the car, I have the ownership, if I do not pay he does not send the car and applies for another ownership. If I pay and have receipts then I own the car and he is applying for ownership to a car he no longer owns. So this can easily be settled quickly if someone tries to pull a fast one.

I faxed a copy of the signed over title to shop number 2 told them I was the new owner and not to allow the old owner in to do anything with the car. Remember these are restoration shops and had worked with C2s before and were able to tell me what was stock and what was not.

So having the owner pick the car up after it was mine left me open for part substitution. Keeping it at shop 2 did not.

I then arranged for my own shipping service and had them pick it up at shop number 2, 4 days later.

The car arrived and it was "exactly as inspected". Total cost to do this was $620 for the inspections. $1900 to ship in a covered truck.

Would I recommend this to others? Sure, the restoration shops are working for you. They want to find anything and everything. Too be honest they tended to be really really picky and tried to show the car was not as good as the seller was saying. Which always works to your advantage. Especially if the present owner comes in with "attitude" because the shop will work twice as hard for you.
They would pick out little chips in the paint job as if it was a catastrophy lol
If anything had rust on it (Arizona) it was considered to be "should be replaced or taken apart and lubricated etc.

So I would widen your search to the entire USA and contacting people here for where a good resto shop is, will help immensely.

My 02c

Dennis

Last edited by TC233; 05-10-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:37 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

One problem with the inspection process described above is the shop/service being paid to inspect for the buyer is often so interested in justifying their fee that they beat up on the seller too much. Its one thing to point out a repaired frame, faked pad or wrong nose; its another to nitpick a seller into telling you to take a hike.

I have also found that what an inspector that I do not know personally, might think is important/good/bad/etc often does not agree with my opinions.

To the OP, I say if you are really interested in buying a 60-70k car, get used to the fact that you need to probably buy a couple plane tickets and hotel rooms before you are done, and write a $1500 check for shipping the car to your house. Anything less will be gravy. Its part of the process.

I would never, ever buy a car like this without seeing it myself and laying my own hands on it first. If you have to buy a plane ticket to do so, it's the cost of doing business.

Several of the SWCs I inspected proved this to me again. Cars that looked perfect on the computer screen were very different in the flesh. Just my personal experience.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM
docent
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Inspection/appraisals

I agree with all of the above, but another item to contend with, - - -is an appraisal done by the owner.
When looking for my 63 SWC, 3 out of the 8 cars I viewed over 8 months, had appraisals paid for by the owner. The guy in Stockton, who claimed he had the "cleanest" vette in California, and wouldn't budge on his price, had an appraisal of his car at $96K, and this car was the biggest piece of craps I ever laid my eyes on. Paint was shot, had to jump start the car when I arrived, the brake pedal went almost through the floorboard when I stopped for the first time. I don't know where he came up with $96K, but this car was probably in the $40 - $50K range. Appraisals, just like house appraisals, really don't tell you much !
Old 05-11-2014, 01:15 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by docent
I agree with all of the above, but another item to contend with, - - -is an appraisal done by the owner.
When looking for my 63 SWC, 3 out of the 8 cars I viewed over 8 months, had appraisals paid for by the owner. The guy in Stockton, who claimed he had the "cleanest" vette in California, and wouldn't budge on his price, had an appraisal of his car at $96K, and this car was the biggest piece of craps I ever laid my eyes on. Paint was shot, had to jump start the car when I arrived, the brake pedal went almost through the floorboard when I stopped for the first time. I don't know where he came up with $96K, but this car was probably in the $40 - $50K range. Appraisals, just like house appraisals, really don't tell you much !
Couldn't agree more, yet my insurance co. insists I have mine pro appraised. I explained that pictures, description, codes, numbers, comparable condition and sales should be sufficient and mean a hell of a lot more than some appraisal. I just defined "appraisal" didn't I. I guess my point is, I, the owner, am more competent in assessing a fair market value on my car because I know it better than anyone. I've had appraisals where the author uses their creative writing skills to reach the highest number possible, never even crawling under the car or investigates numbers.....useless! IMO they just want a document to base a mindless number on, and to the uneducated, will be tough to discredit if this works against you in the event of a total loss.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You HAVE to be selective on these cars or you'll get burnt as Vettebuyer has stated. If you get impatient to make a purchase then its sorta like when you're in a singles bar past midnight: "...the odds are good; but the goods are odd."

Again Vettebuyer gave sound advice on inspections...and flying somewhere to confirm a $75K purchase is sound is just good business. I paid less than that but flew to Ohio to do a complete "car on a lift, gooseneck inspection camera, 30 minute drive" inspection.

And, they ALL have ****ling problems you'll have to correct and spend some money on. To me that's a chance to learn about them and delve into the unique aspects of the SWCs. The point being - if you find a solid car that maybe needs $1K-$2K in minor fixes and the price is right you better not hesitate to pull the trigger.

As to the aging owners of these cars that won't sell. Hell, I know of two of those near me and I don't even try. The old, selfish "pills" will go to their graves with their undriven cars sold off for peanuts by their progeny. Don't even obsess over those..

There is nearly a frenzy over these cars right now and not sure if I'd be a buyer at this point. I'm turning down about 3 offers a month on my car but not selling.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-11-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: 1963 SW Coupe

Old 05-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

My forte is 67s since I've owned a B/B roadster for decades (totally original) and an 18K mile S/B that's really special, so I'm on a steep learning curve as far as SWs are concerned. But I do have a toy account that'll allow me to step up for the right car and I'm becoming more and more patient as I get older. I may be mistaken but I remain optimistic that around $65-75K will get me a nice enough car. If I can find one near enough to pick it up myself with a trailer, I'll be a happy camper. I couldn't agree more that there's no substitute for seeing, touching, driving and inspecting the car in person before money changes hands. I don't care (trust, believe, agree) what an owner's appraisal is--he/she may have the car, but I have the money and it behooves me to follow my own opinion and keep my own counsel. Appraisals are all over the map and if they have any worth, it's primarily to get an idea of what the owner wants for the car and how s/he arrived at a particular figure.
Keep a lookout for a 63 for me!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM
plumber75
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have decided to sell my SWC

If you are still looking, I have recently decided to sell my Split Window Coupe. I have owned it for 15 years and it has been a joy. I however also own a 2005 coupe and find my wife and I drive the newer more often and the 63 sits more than it should. Have decided to buy a 2014 Coupe and must sell this one for room. Car has lived in a heated shop for the last ten years and in an enclosed garage before that, never sat out over night.
It is sebring blue lacquer, originally silver
327/300hp
power steering, power windows, black interior
front bushings, ball joints, brake cylinders two years ago
Appraised last week at $67,500 by TEC appraisers here in Madison,WI
I will sell it for $72,500
If interested jd2@athletics.wisc.edu
My name is Jim and i will send new photos and contact info
Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor