Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS - 1956 running Corvette project car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default FS - 1956 running Corvette project car

I have decided to sell my 1956 Corvette project car. This is a running and driving car, currently registered, with original VIN plate, and driven 20 miles this past weekend.

Car's VIN is E56S002117, estimated build date of April 24, 1956. Fiberglass is all original with the exception of the driver's front fender, which was replaced some time in the past. Frame is not damaged.

Car is stripped down to bare fiberglass (it was sand blasted, which hurt the fiberglass). Frame is solid with surface rust except for rear cross member, which has a few small rust holes.

Car currently has a 1956 passenger car 265 powerpack engine (F56FB) that was rebuilt to Corvette specifications (solid lifters). Also has a single four barrel Rochester 4GC carburetor. And car has a built Turbo 350 transmission. Engine and transmission have about 1000 miles on them. New tires, brakes, radiator for drivability.

Car was originally Aztec Copper with a beige interior. Also originally a Powerglide car. Car came with just about every option except power windows. It appears to be an original two top car, but the hard top is gone. The hydraulics for the power top are also gone, but the switches are still there.

Car comes with boxes of original parts (too many to list) but includes the original steering wheel, a new reproduction grill oval, new wiring harnesses, bumbers, trim pieces, the rest of the grill teeth, etc. The original gauges and radio have never been out of the dash (although they don't work).

Car is located in Huntsville, AL area. Price is $37,500.

PM or email me at ed.mccomas@willbrook.com with questions.

Below is a link to my Photobucket album for the car, but here is one pic to start things off....

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...view=slideshow

Last edited by emccomas; 08-30-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man there is just something about a naked 56/57 that really gets the blood pumping! That car just screams potential, it's exactly what I was looking to buy when I got mine

Best of luck with the sale

I've dealt with Ed quite a few times now and you can really take to the bank what he says about the condition of everything, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy everything sight unseen

Alex

Last edited by 92GTA; 09-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Alex.

I am thinking about putting this car together with my 56 Belair 4 door sedan project car as a possible trade for a decent driver 56-60 Corvette.

I will consider reasonable offers on the 56 Vette.

I ain't getting any younger.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, not getting any action here so let me ask some questions. I have five options with this car:

1. Restore it to original condition. Since most of the original parts are there, and in good shape, this is a reasonable option.

2. Sell it as is. Not getting much activity here.

3. Turn it into a hot rod / resto rod car. This is what I really want, a 1970s style hot rod.

4. Part the car out. This would generate the most income.

5. Trade it for a 56-60 Corvette with a complete body that is not so original and could be turned into a 70s style hot rod.

I really don't want to do 1 or 4. My preference is 2 or 5. If something doesn't change soon I may start on 3 or 4.

OK, given my goals, what would you do?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion, #3.

#1 - Too much $ to make it original. If it had the correct drivetrain maybe.

Make it a resto rod, part out what you do not need. You will end up with a cool hot rod.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 AM
AnTra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
OK, not getting any action here so let me ask some questions. I have five options with this car:

1. Restore it to original condition. Since most of the original parts are there, and in good shape, this is a reasonable option.

2. Sell it as is. Not getting much activity here.

3. Turn it into a hot rod / resto rod car. This is what I really want, a 1970s style hot rod.

4. Part the car out. This would generate the most income.

5. Trade it for a 56-60 Corvette with a complete body that is not so original and could be turned into a 70s style hot rod.

I really don't want to do 1 or 4. My preference is 2 or 5. If something doesn't change soon I may start on 3 or 4.

OK, given my goals, what would you do?
My options:

I would have go Number 1 !
If that´s not your intention take of 10k from the price and give buyer a reasonable sum to get it in good shape. (You could actually buy pretty nice drivers for around 40k theese days and i think that´s why you haven´t got any response here to be honest).

Good luck in any case !
Old 09-18-2011, 02:13 AM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd bet it would sell for $35K even if it does take time and you could keep and sell some parts to make up the rest you want. I've found with most of my project sales, parts don't hold the weight they sometimes should. I just stopped selling my projects because of this

Other than that I say make this car the resto rod you want. It's a known quantity for a starting point. You could get decent $ for selling the original frame and the engine/trans and be a perfect starting point for the resto rod. Besides, these look WAY better IMO than the 58-60

Alex
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Still thinking about what to do here, but some ideas for the 70s hot rod concept.

Remember, this was well before custom built chassis that use C4 / C5 / C6 suspension components.

Two approaches that were popular back in the day were:

1. Modify a C3 chassis to accept the C1 body. I saw a few of these but not my favorite idea.

2. Modify the C1 chassis. Cut the front frame section off to get rid of the front suspension and weld on a C2 / C3 disk brake / ball joint type suspension system. Replace the rear leaf springs with coil over shocks and add traction bar system, along the lines of a four link suspension system.

I like #2 more than #1.

I am going to start making a list of the parts that I have for this car.

Get notified of new replies

To FS - 1956 running Corvette project car

Quick Reply: FS - 1956 running Corvette project car