Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Did anyone else here on the forum buy this 1967 vert on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
69-z28
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have to tell you that Ebays buyers protection agent also has talked with the seller and believes the sellers story.

He says it has to be true nobody could think up a story that far fetched.

Ebay will cover my 25k but not the shipping money if this all turns out to be bogus.

Believe it or not Ebays buyers protection insurance company step right up to pump and made sure this deal went right. They assured me I would get my money back because the purchase was made thru Ebay. Not off site like alot of buyers and sellers do.

I will let you all know what happens today
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Ken's67
Instructor

I'm having fun reading this story and how it unfolded. The sad thing is that the seller is making it all up. All BS! Who sells a '67 Corvette for
25K with 3 photos and no description. (Sorry, "...has been converted to small block 4 cyl...")
69-Z28, you need to open your eyes and think about all clues that point to a scam or fraud. The car is now 5 minutes away, but you can see it until you pay for the shipping... o.k. Transportation companies don't ship anything or leave anything until they are paid. Who originally the shipping company? How much did it cost to transport the car from CA to NY? How long did it take?
Get your 25k from eBay and walk away. I would take the title to the police or to your motor vehicle dept. and have them look it over and check into the VIN. I bet it is fake or stolen.
If this deal is for real, someone will be calling you wanting the title. (The seller, or the other buyer. You know, the other guy with the same name in your town, looking to buy the same car from across the country!!!)
Keep us posted, we all are wanting to hear how this ends.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
69-z28
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ken's67 This is not the first car I have ever bought. I called and talked with the seller for sometime and got all my questions answered before I bought the car. Then I did a lot of checking on him and his business before I sent payment.

I cant tell you how many times I have pulled the trigger on a great deal while a lot of the other guys are standing there and thinking about all the things that can be wrong with the car and if its sounds to good to be true it usually is. BLA BLA BLA

I have bought a lot of great cars this way. This is the first time something like this has happened.

It now looks like things might work out.

How many of you out there passed up a great deal because you thought it was to good to be true. I'm not talking about those scams where a completely restored car is selling for $3995. I'm talking a real honest to goodness deal

I do my home work and actually pull the trigger. When I see a deal and don't usually regret it when I do.

Think about it how many of you guys have passed on a car when you knew it was a deal and still regret it today.

Last edited by 69-z28; 11-03-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: change
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Ken's67
Instructor

It sounds like you know what you are doing then. Myself and the other forum members where just trying to help. Good luck. I would go ahead and pay for the cost of shipping and any other items the seller is requesting. Never mind all the "BLA BLA BLA" we are all saying. Please post some pictures of the car when you get it. We only seen three on the eBay auction.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM
petervs
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69-z28
This will be hard for all of you to believe. The car is now at the other buyers house.
He lives 5 minutes from me.

His name is also Dave. The seller claims he thought we were both the same person .

He found out about the problem when my trucking company showed up to pick up the car and he had already released it.

Now I am told If I want the car all I have to do is pay the shipping and go get the car.

I have to pay the shipping first before I see the car.
Or I give them the title back and I get a full refund.
Sounds like you have it under control. I would assume the other purchaser paid to ship the car so I'm not sure why they wouldn't let you go over there with the cash and pick up the car. It's fair for you to pay shipping if the other purchaser already paid it and is trying to do the right thing and have it go to you. Pretty crazy odds that he's five minutes away though. Do you know who he is?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I would be as skeptical as ever if I had to pay ANYTHING before seeing this car that is purported to be 5 minutes away. No, after all this trouble I would be furious at someone! You are dealing with it much more calmly than I think many of us would, and I'm watching earnestly for you to get it resolved. Best of luck
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by petervs
Sounds like you have it under control. I would assume the other purchaser paid to ship the car so I'm not sure why they wouldn't let you go over there with the cash and pick up the car. It's fair for you to pay shipping if the other purchaser already paid it and is trying to do the right thing and have it go to you. Pretty crazy odds that he's five minutes away though. Do you know who he is?
Why do you have to pay shipping twice? I assume that you paid the guy to pick it up or did he not charge you since there was no car to haul. I am still cofussed about how the seller had money from two guys & I don't care what there names & where they live. He took momey from two people unless for some reason the guy never got the second check, something is still fishy. Go to the guys house & the three of you get it sorted out. GOOD LUCK.
KEN

Last edited by kenba; 11-03-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not Ebays buyers protection insurance company step right up to pump and made sure this deal went right. They assured me I would get my money back because the purchase was made thru Ebay. Not off site like alot of buyers and sellers do.
Just as an aside, I have used the buyer protection before, and it worked well and fast. I received a refund from eBay, and eBay went after seller. All I had to do was prove that I had returned the item.

Slightly different circumstances in your case, but kudos to the flea and the buyer protection plan.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

I might add... when I shipped my '67 to the islands, the shipping company wouldn't take possession of the car without me PROVING ownership. I wonder how they shipped the car without having the pink? Could it have shipped before you received the pink slip?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Let me get this straight, you have already paid for a car that you have not yet seen. Now the seller wants you to pay more more money before you actually look at the car, which his now 5 minutes away from you.

Go to the other person's house and put your eyes on the car before you do anything else. Verify that the VIN number on the car actually matches your paperwork.
100 Percent
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
vettedreamer50
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOB WINSKI
100 Percent
If this is really all a big mistake, you might want to question why the other buyer is giving up his claim of ownership so easily. Yes, you might have a better claim, but he has possession. Maybe he looked it over and realized its not the car he thought it was and would be happy to get his money back. Go look at the car. No reasonable person trying to resolve this would deny you that right. If they do, I would get my money back and walk away. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 AM
69-z28
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Talked with the seller a few times today. He says that their waiting for funds to clear the other buyers account before he will release the car. This should happen on Thursday.

I to have thought why is this guy giving the car up. The seller says that he explained what happened and the other buyer didn't want any problems and said give me my money back and come get the car.

With the prices that 67 verts are bringing these days The car has to be really really bad for it not to be worth 25K

I also talked again with the Ebay insurance guy. I asked questions like what if the cars vin doesn't match the title. Or what happens if it missing the vin tag. Or it ends up to be a stolen car. He said in all of these cases I would be covered under the Ebay buyer protection plan and I would get my money back.

So my saga goes on. I really do appreciate all the advise and concern from you guys.

Oh well tomorrow is another day I will keep you all informed.

AND YES I STILL IN THE BACK OF MY MIND HAVE A FEELING THAT THE SELLER IS FULL OF S@?T AND JUST STRINGING ME ALONG.

Last edited by 69-z28; 11-04-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Im glad you have ebay on your side. I am sure a guy wouldnt let a car leave before funds cleared so its BS there. Wires take 10 minutes. Its a good thing you did it from ebay.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Ken's67 This is not the first car I have ever bought. I called and talked with the seller for sometime and got all my questions answered before I bought the car. Then I did a lot of checking on him and his business before I sent payment.

I cant tell you how many times I have pulled the trigger on a great deal while a lot of the other guys are standing there and thinking about all the things that can be wrong with the car and if its sounds to good to be true it usually is. BLA BLA BLA

I have bought a lot of great cars this way. This is the first time something like this has happened.

It now looks like things might work out.

How many of you out there passed up a great deal because you thought it was to good to be true. I'm not talking about those scams where a completely restored car is selling for $3995. I'm talking a real honest to goodness deal

I do my home work and actually pull the trigger. When I see a deal and don't usually regret it when I do.

Think about it how many of you guys have passed on a car when you knew it was a deal and still regret it today.
I hope it all works out for you.

I can tell you that I have never lost any money on something I did not buy..

Scott
Old 11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
69-z28
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That is very true.
But as a buisness owner I can't think that way
Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default sting

The number 1 rule quoted over and over again on this forum is "Go look at the car or have someone knowledgable do it for you". You may think that a 67 vert for $25K is a good deal, but do not fool yourself, without seeing the car, you do not know what you are getting. Car could have been cut in half, one piece front, a bent frame etc. It is 43 years old, and a $ magnet for scammers.
Most of the time sellers tend to make an item they are selling out to be better than it is. I no longer buy used stuff on ebay for this reason. Most often it is not as nice as described.
Good luck anyway.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettedreamer50

If this is really all a big mistake, you might want to question why the other buyer is giving up his claim of ownership so easily. Yes, you might have a better claim, but he has possession. Maybe he looked it over and realized its not the car he thought it was and would be happy to get his money back. Go look at the car. No reasonable person trying to resolve this would deny you that right. If they do, I would get my money back and walk away. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Did anyone else here on the forum buy this 1967 vert on ebay

Old 11-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Report it stolen with the Sherriff's office, then I would take "my" pink slip and a law enforcement officer to the address and take "my" car.

Screw these guys! It's your car. You have proof through Paypal that you bought it legally and you have the title.
Go get your car.

Don't let them string you along.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 11-04-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I am a long distance, over the road, trucker. Guys that haul cars/trucks, ect..have proof of ownership of EVERY car on that truck. DOT, in darn near every state, pulls these guys over..checking vins, paperwork , ect. Paperwork doesnt match with whats on that truck...there is a whole bunch of trouble..and time, spent untill things get straightend out. The cops/DOT will not let the truck mopve till all gets straightend out. think about it. I would not risk my 110 thousand dollaR truck, my lively hood, ect, trying to transport anything that could not be documented.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I am a long distance, over the road, trucker. Guys that haul cars/trucks, ect..have proof of ownership of EVERY car on that truck. DOT, in darn near every state, pulls these guys over..checking vins, paperwork , ect. Paperwork doesnt match with whats on that truck...there is a whole bunch of trouble..and time, spent untill things get straightend out. The cops/DOT will not let the truck mopve till all gets straightend out. think about it. I would not risk my 110 thousand dollaR truck, my lively hood, ect, trying to transport anything that could not be documented.
Absolutely! I posted that several pages back. You can't ship a vehicle without proof of ownership. PERIOD.

Quick Reply: Did anyone else here on the forum buy this 1967 vert on ebay