Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Recession makes Midyears under $20,000

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Recession makes Midyears under $20,000

Im Happy to see Midyears are more Affordable now for everyone that would like one. Here is the proof. These are Not my car's, But would be great entry level ride's. Someone better buy them quick before the prices increases . Not

Patience is a vurtue ..........It's only just beginning.

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/13440...e-Project.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/885126812.html

Up Coming events...........expendable toys are coming out of the wood-work ................................"FOR SALE" ........Make offer.

On the other side of the coin it pains me to see this country's many working folks suffering for the few that gambled our childrens future away.

Last edited by Stingxray; 10-20-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

If either of those cars is drivable, it's a good starting point for someone who will do their own work. Parts and pro labor to put either one in first-class condition will be close to the price of a finished car.

That said, people had been asking about $10,000 more a couple of months ago. And I don't think there were many takers.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

By the time you are done fixing them you will be back to what they are worth. I still dont see the sky falling on cars. BJs Vegas cars were holding their own. JMHO
Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

this is exactly what I'm looking for.......Keep up the search boys!!
i'm looking for a genuine project for $15000-$17000 range.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's one - have at it, boyz:

It's located in VA and the guy will take $18k for it.....
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mchar
Here's one - have at it, boyz:

It's located in VA and the guy will take $18k for it.....

Rust, rust and more rust.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

My point exactly. Wise folks here recommend buying as much car as you can..it's cheaper to buy a good car...than to dream on a fixer - upper...
That "gold" (nassau blue) car has been for sale forever...it's worth
5k??? maybe? In todays' Real Money economy....The guy wants $18...
not happening...

There goes your below $20k Midyears!!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point exactly. Wise folks here recommend buying as much car as you can..it's cheaper to buy a good car...than to dream on a fixer - upper...
not happening...

But but But i thought fixing them up was the "fun" part--next you'll be telling me my "buy high sell low and make it up in volume" is WRONG??????? Say it ain't so Joe??? Glenn
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
jroutt
Racer

Default Fixer Upper

That Va car is a good buy if you don't mind putting 50K into restoring it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's one that someone was willing to pay $18K+ for-but seller wanted more... I think if you put this one in a big vat of Navy Jelly-there might be just a body left...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200260684591

Richard
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

not happening...

5k??? Brutal but spot on.

Roy
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
count
Pro

well buying from the US when I live in Canada makes it very tough, I buy it I'm stuck with it! I'm just not sure what i sould be getting for $15-17 range, so are so many across the board right now in this range - it's a crap shoot!
Again if you find somthing in this range that is very doable for a rookie, let me know.
perhaps Mchar is correct, just save a bit more a buy a decent driver, but by that time the prices have gone up - catch 22.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM
0JimJ@CountyCorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Im Happy to see Midyears are more Affordable now for everyone that would like one. Here is the proof. These are Not my car's, But would be great entry level ride's. Someone better buy them quick before the prices increases . Not

Up Coming events...........expendable toys are coming out of the wood-work ................................"FOR SALE" ........Make offer.

On the other side of the coin it pains me to see this country's many working folks suffering for the few that gambled our childrens future away.

I wholeheartedly agree we are gambling our children's future away. It is criminal. That said, if history repeats itself, which it most likely will, big inflation is coming. Yes, there are fire sales right now but I do not see too many high quality cars going for cheap. Once in a while I will get a desperate seller, maybe once a month, but no real blood bath, panic selling of Corvettes.
The fact is, when the economy rebounds, Corvette prices will be higher than you have ever seen before which in reality are inflation adjusted prices. In my view, and again history supports it, the cost of parts and services is what drives the value of the cars up.
Labor rates increase in restoration shops and parts prices go up. You can count on that.
Within two years I can see prices of midyears up 20 percent, not the other way.
If the economy gets so bad that you are right I am afraid that no one will be talking about Corvettes, they will be talking about food.

In 87, I heard the same predictions of doom and gloom. You saw what happened to Corvette prices after that right?
20-30-50 percent price jumps within a year. I dont think we will see quite that rise again this time around but if "investors" think for a second that Corvette are a good hedge money will pour into the collector car market yet once again.

Jim Jordan
Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
tomo67
Racer

I completely agree with Jim.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:06 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow. Those pictures sure make my $20k find look great.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't think most folks being able to afford an old Vette have felt the pinch yet. Unfortunately, I believe (as most economists) things will get a lot worse before it gets better, and we, as a nation, will never be able to live over the top, like most Americans did, anymore. Loans will be more expensive, and not granted without much stricter ratios and substantial down payments. The economy will never be the same, since people won't be able to borrow indiscriminately anymore. Plus those double-digit yearly home appreciations (and their lines of credit) are a thing of the past as well. Just like Nasdaq (from 5K+ to the current level), consumer spending will have to settle at a much more realistic level, and that will drag down the economy, as it's over 60% of the US economy. All the trillions in 'toxic' CDSs are going to cool the housing market like never before, plus it's vicious circle of less money to spend, job losses, business going bankrupt, then even less money to spend, more job losses..... You get the idea. It takes time for all that to stabilize. At least the government, for the first time ever, is being pro-active (rather than reactive), and very aggressively at that, so the bright side is it can't get any better than this.

Anyway, I think next year will be a great time to buy for folks with cash. Things are expected to start getting better by early 2010, but just like Japan a decade ago, nobody is predicting a sharp rebound. We'll see. I don't owe anything and have savings, but am not spending on trivial stuff since I don't know how long this is going to last, and how much my business will slow down (already more than I thought). Tough times folks. But at least I'll be able to sleep well at night. Take care.
JC
Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM
RFat16
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimJ@CountyCorvette
I wholeheartedly agree we are gambling our children's future away. It is criminal. That said, if history repeats itself, which it most likely will, big inflation is coming. Yes, there are fire sales right now but I do not see too many high quality cars going for cheap. Once in a while I will get a desperate seller, maybe once a month, but no real blood bath, panic selling of Corvettes.
The fact is, when the economy rebounds, Corvette prices will be higher than you have ever seen before which in reality are inflation adjusted prices. In my view, and again history supports it, the cost of parts and services is what drives the value of the cars up.
Labor rates increase in restoration shops and parts prices go up. You can count on that.
Within two years I can see prices of midyears up 20 percent, not the other way.
If the economy gets so bad that you are right I am afraid that no one will be talking about Corvettes, they will be talking about food.

In 87, I heard the same predictions of doom and gloom. You saw what happened to Corvette prices after that right?
20-30-50 percent price jumps within a year. I dont think we will see quite that rise again this time around but if "investors" think for a second that Corvette are a good hedge money will pour into the collector car market yet once again.

Jim Jordan
Jim- I agree with you but in June of 90 the Market shut off like a faucet, corvettes and all. It didnt start to come back until 95. Thats 5 years or so of hard to sell collectibles. I do not think that will happen again but i think we could see some more falling in prices.

Get notified of new replies

To Recession makes Midyears under $20,000

Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingxray

It is criminal whats going on, however Junk will always bring Junk Money. Anyone who knows like many have said the cost of parts and labor make up the difference. There is a reason why those cars are still the state their in, they found out what it cost to restore.

At the end of the day NICE/REAL cars still bring good money. With all the prices at Barrett in the toilet midyears still brought some very good money. You can bet on one thing Big Blocks or Paper Work will never go down in value.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by count
well buying from the US when I live in Canada makes it very tough, I buy it I'm stuck with it! I'm just not sure what i sould be getting for $15-17 range, so are so many across the board right now in this range - it's a crap shoot!
Again if you find somthing in this range that is very doable for a rookie, let me know.
perhaps Mchar is correct, just save a bit more a buy a decent driver, but by that time the prices have gone up - catch 22.
You have more to worry about than that. That $17,000US car was ~$17,000CDN just two months ago with the dollars near par. With the $CDN now trading at $0.80US that car is now $21,700CDN.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
count
Pro

Well when your frugal like me, you buy your USD when the CDN $ was 1.04, I have been doing this for the past year - so my US funds are just waiting for the right project.
At least the line up to come back home won't be so bad! lol
Big auction this weekend!

Quick Reply: Recession makes Midyears under $20,000