Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

'53 barn find legal question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Power111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sted

Now that is good advice. Negotiating through an attorney
with the insurance company
That is funny. You just need a bank and the IRS to get their piece of the Urban Legend Pie too.

BTW ,if you negotiate with the insurance company, make sure your paperwork reads that you have an interest in the "1953 Chevrolet" ... do NOT write "Priceless Corvette that I am going to sell on Barrett-Jackson and retire"

Old 04-19-2008, 01:41 AM
sted
Racer

More good advice.
Actually I am just trying to get some info to help a friend.
I did not want him to get involved and get into legal trouble.
The story is very intriguing, and I'd love to see the car.
Blind fold me and make me swear secrecy.
I'll find out more on this.
sted
Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

The best thing you can do is have your FRIEND get pic of the car and the VIN # so you can believe him and post them so we can figure it out for you. Not to saw that your FRIEND is feeding you a line of SH-T butt for anyone to believe it there would have to be pic to prove it.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
The best thing you can do is have your FRIEND get pic of the car and the VIN # so you can believe him and post them so we can figure it out for you. Not to saw that your FRIEND is feeding you a line of SH-T butt for anyone to believe it there would have to be pic to prove it.
Great advice!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

We all know that so many of these tales are just that. The only difference is how tall is the tale and what new twist has been added, but they make for good gossip on a forum. I have seen a number of posters here included that ask for the VIN apparently so it will give it the ultimate legitimacy. But if you were in a situation such as this and were hoping to score the car would you give out the VIN? I saw in the recent thread with the 66 L-88 (??) that if only someone would post the VIN then everything would be OK. I would not give out neither the VIN nor too much info at all until after the car was in my garage. When I am playing poker I don't show my cards to all before I bet so why would anyone do the same here. I tracked down and found two stolen cars and worked with the police in both instances and we purposely did not give out the VIN and the cars were both recovered months after the theft. If the VIN were given out I personally believe I would have never found them. If in this instance or others someone screams that we are looking for VIN 0001234 and the thief smells any part of inquiry into 0001234 then that item is too hot and he has to implement plan B which is to end the life of that particular car and at the very best it becomes a bunch of parts for sale.

If the "owners" here spell out the VIN number then all of a sudden whatever story comes out on the forum whether it was misunderstood or whatever becomes a story set in stone and their bargaining position looses much of its potential strength.

You hope these stories are true but I believe they make for better discussion than believability. If true it would be fun to see whose garage it ends up in and how much it cost in the end-Jim
Old 04-19-2008, 01:24 PM
ewjxn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bay area 53s...

A few random thoughts on this post.

1st assumption is this car is in the Bay Area.

My understanding is the Bay area did not get public released Corvettes until the 1954 Motorama show arrived in late March of 54. It is thought that the first public Corvette was sold on March 14th 1954 to an Attorney with the right background and prestige. On March 29th There were 7 Corvettes in Dealerships around the Bay. Now at that time Corvettes were just Corvettes, not 53s or 54s. So some of those 7 could have been 53s.

2nd thought.

Anyone who bought a Corvette in Calendar year 53 was heavily vetted (pun intended) by Chevrolet PR to ensure it was placed in the right hands. I would think that these individuals would not have a "making payments" problem etc let alone own a shed.

So I think, if this car would have most likely been bought in 1954 as a Flip... Few Corvettes were availible in early 54, but lots of Corvettes were available in late 54 and many early 54 buyers were speculators. That was most likely the case here. The owner purchased the car in early 54 to sell at a profit, but could not. Held on to it for a year desperate to sell. That is why the car had less then 1000 miles on it.

So if the story were tweaked slightly I could believe that this scenario happened. So the premise is plausible. Might be a 54 though.

Last edited by ewjxn; 04-19-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typos...
Old 04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
sted
Racer

Good knowledge. In fact I did ask the question,could the
car could be a '54. He said he wasn't sure, but the
"Blue flame" stickers were easily read,and was told it was a '53.
So it has the Blue Flame six, and it is white. Past that,who knows.
I'll keep asking.
sted
Old 04-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

If your friend saw the motor he should have seen the air cleaners. Ask how many it had and the shape of them. That will get it down to 53 or early 54 or a 54 for sure.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Woodie
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 65 stolen

I bought a 65 that had been stolen. The man I bought it from did not know it was titled wrong as just a 65 chevy. When he found out before selling to me he went to the DMV in NJ. They took the car. He contacted the insurance co. They sold him the car back for $5000. The state then issued a NJ vin took the original tag and all was done in a mere 9 months. I sold the car overseas where the new owner did not care.
If you know of a stolen car and you are honest you'll step up and do the right thing. Be it thru a lawyer or directly. If not, don't EVER complain when something is stolen from you. Just my thought.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:32 PM
ewjxn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
If your friend saw the motor he should have seen the air cleaners. Ask how many it had and the shape of them. That will get it down to 53 or early 54 or a 54 for sure.
Better to ask about the valve cover or the soft top. bullets were on well into 54. Late 53s and early (1st 500 or so) 54s are almost interchangable.

This lesson is relived and relived throught the history of the Corvette. Think 78 Pace Cars, 90s ZR1s, Current Z06s etc. Let this be a lesson to furure new ZR1 buyers. Eric
Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Brett,
You are most probably right, it probably won't surface.
But, I will follow up on it and find out more.
sted
Please do. I'd love to see it and the vin tag. I have a file of 53 vin tag pics. They are stamped differently than the 54 and newer tags. It's interesting to see the variations in the stampings. I hope it's not another wild goose chase for us vette lovers!

Last edited by 53 Blue Flame Brett; 04-19-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
2manyvetts
Racer

Default Stolen Vehicle

What is in the mind and in the heart are two different things.

"Need the facts, just the facts" -- JOE FRIDAY !

Oh forget that, ----"Book'em, Dano"
Old 04-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wwood95179@aol.com
I bought a 65 that had been stolen. The man I bought it from did not know it was titled wrong as just a 65 chevy. When he found out before selling to me he went to the DMV in NJ. They took the car. He contacted the insurance co. They sold him the car back for $5000. The state then issued a NJ vin took the original tag and all was done in a mere 9 months. I sold the car overseas where the new owner did not care.
If you know of a stolen car and you are honest you'll step up and do the right thing. Be it thru a lawyer or directly. If not, don't EVER complain when something is stolen from you. Just my thought.
One of the instances I referred to in my earlier post is I had a car stolen (1966 SS Chevelle 360HP at the time in mint shape) and I found it 11 months later. I had been paid off long before I found it but when I found it there was quite a bit of damage but I wanted the perpetrators prosecuted. The insurance company (one of the largest) could have cared less since it was off their books and they refused to prosecute. I played to their sense of justice but they wouldn't know how to spell the word with a dictionary. Without a complainant, the thief, a member of local stolen car ring would have gone free. I researched the law and went to the prosecutor and we were able to get the guy on forging a state document (title) without a complainant and with his record he plea bargained to a five year stretch. So I am not about to play any violin solos for the insurance industry.

In my post I state the insurance company owns the vehicle and they deserve morally and legally to be made whole, no more, no less. That may be out of pocket, interest and expenses. They may not legally be entitled to the benefit of the increase in value. There is all sorts of strange caselaw and statutes that may apply here and if the heirs to the original owner were not complicit in the initial fraud they may legally have a claim to his possessions and may legally have a right to any overage after the insurance company is made whole. To just hand the car over without proper research is just foolhardy in my opinion. If it turns out the insurance company gets every bit of the value lock stock and barrel then so be it, but I surely would do my homework first.-Jim
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I think many are confusing some of the issues here.

From what I read:

1. The original owner committed crimes - false report of a stolen car and defrauded the insurance company.

2. There is no stolen car. It was never stolen, just reported so.

3. The insurance company owns the car, based on them paying for the "loss".

4. The family didn't commit a crime, probably, based on where they came into the picture of this car and the insurance. They may have by not turning the guy in, or maybe they didn't. They sure aren't guilty of car theft though.

5. Getting the title for the car can be tricky. The insurance company may still have it, although it is surprising how much stuff they dispose of. But being listed as stolen, they may still have it filed away, or records of tuning it back into the state as part of the stolen vehicle report.

6. Get a lawyer.

7. Never mention "Half million dollar Corvette" or any value for that matter.

8. Get pictures. No one believes you otherwise.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Lets see some pictures Bob W
Old 04-20-2008, 01:02 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

Default Uh Oh

Now that is good advice. Negotiating through an attorney
with the insurance company has got to be the way to go.
Attorney-client priviledge would shield your identity.
Thanks Jim.
sted
You're right Sted, Jim did offer some good advice. Just hope someone in the family hasn't watched any of the Barrett-Jackson re-runs and see what the 53's are bringing at auction. Good luck IF it is TRUE and IF you decide to follow up on it.

your NEW friend,
Shooter
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 PM
vetteman19
Advanced

Default 1953

Buy it and have it as a show car...no title needed...

Get notified of new replies

To '53 barn find legal question

Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
sted
Racer

Well, the 53 was sold recently by the oldest son.
I'd just like to know how much.
Unless I find out more soon, end of story.

sted
Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Well, the 53 was sold recently by the oldest son.
I'd just like to know how much.
Unless I find out more soon, end of story.

sted
It would be nice to know what the vin was.
Can you find this out?????????

Good luck
Old 04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
sted
Racer

I'd like to get a picture to.
I'll see what I can find out.
sted

Quick Reply: '53 barn find legal question