Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

value advice on a C1

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 AM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default value advice on a C1

any opinions on this car on ebay item #4586379459
I am not computer savy enough to figure how to put a direct link to it maybe someone can help.
I live near the car and I am going to see it tomorow.I have not had a C1 in bunch of years and was wondering what to look for to refresh the old memory.Any C1 experts out there know a good price for a car like this.There is not really too much around here for sale and when there is PROTEAM usually gets there first.I always like the looks of them and I always kick myself for selling my '58,besides I would rather have the money in the garage than in my 401K
Old 11-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4586379459
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
STEVES59
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car will proberly go for 35 to 38000. in my opinion its not an attractive color scheme I have always though white with red coves was as "FUGLEY" as it gets but if you like it go for it. Dont settle for something although the price on thease cars is starting to pop up :"thanks pro team" There is no shortage of nice driver c1"s let your 401 grow while you shop for the right car rembmber it costs a lot to repaint Buy the best paint and chrome you can, Drive lline takes a back seat.

Best Regards
SteveZ
Old 11-02-2005, 02:02 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

CORVETTE ENTHUSIST MAGAZINE last July 05, rated 59's at $19975 all the way up to $79500. Now this depended on engine type, condition etc.

Try any leave the emotion out of the inspection, and verify
1.- RUST FREE CHASSIS
2.- UNDAMAGED BODY
3.- COMPLETE CAR WITH ALL ITS PARTS
4.- ORIGINAL DRIVELINE
5.- FACTORY PAPERWORK AND OWNERSHIP HISTORY
Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVES59
The car will proberly go for 35 to 38000. in my opinion its not an attractive color scheme I have always though white with red coves was as "FUGLEY" as it gets but if you like it go for it. Dont settle for something although the price on thease cars is starting to pop up :"thanks pro team" There is no shortage of nice driver c1"s let your 401 grow while you shop for the right car rembmber it costs a lot to repaint Buy the best paint and chrome you can, Drive lline takes a back seat.

Best Regards
SteveZ
SteveZ,

The red coves do stand out. Easy fix. Remove the mouldings surrounding the coves, tape and mask the original white off, sand, prime, and paint the coves white and put the mouldings back on. A good painter can match the white with no problem. You will never see the any paint lines as the mouldings will cover them. Much less expensive than a paint job and c-1s look great white.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kensmith

Easy fix. Remove the mouldings surrounding the coves, tape and mask the original white off, sand, prime, and paint the coves white and put the mouldings back on.
Naah, paint 'em silver !!!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
Naah, paint 'em silver !!!
That would look awesome.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

I thought all corvette's were RED
Old 11-02-2005, 08:46 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimgessner
CORVETTE ENTHUSIST MAGAZINE last July 05, rated 59's at $19975 all the way up to $79500. Now this depended on engine type, condition etc.

Try any leave the emotion out of the inspection, and verify
1.- RUST FREE CHASSIS
2.- UNDAMAGED BODY
3.- COMPLETE CAR WITH ALL ITS PARTS
4.- ORIGINAL DRIVELINE
5.- FACTORY PAPERWORK AND OWNERSHIP HISTORY
I looked the car over today and it is pretty much as described.The car has what looks like a rust free chassis.Not body off just like someone cleaned it up some years ago than drove it but kept it inside and out of our rust belt winter weather here in NE OHIO.It would be pretty easy to go back over with some chassis black to make it look fresh again but it is decent as it is for a driver.The body does show some signs of previous repair but nothing major.This car was purchased by the owner in 1982 and all of the cosmetic work had been done prior to his ownership so it easy to see the flaws.I think that you wet saned and buffed the car it would come back pretty nicely but having said that there are a few nicks and scratches that need to be touched up.The interior is getting tired it is nmissing the stainless off of the door panels and the radio.The seat covers you could tell used to be black and had been died red and now through the tears of use the black is showing in spots and the cushion on the driver side is losing it shape.The soft top looks decent but does have a little hole in it.So I guess that it pretty much has all of its parts except the radio.The engine is "870" block with what looks like a '63 date.The owner had it rebuilt about 10yrs ago and it runs strong and has solid lifters and a aftermarket intake and headers.The exhaust goes out under the car instead of through the bumbers and the holes where the exhaust would have went have been glassed over.It looks like that would be a pretty easy fix.The only ownership or history is from the owner of 23yrs and I guess that I could check the place that he bought it from as it is a local muscle car dealer that is still in business.I guess that pretty much covers it.I am interested in the car but I am not real sure on it's value as I have not been up on the C1's and I am not sure what it will bring in the auction.He did tell me that I would have been here before he listed it I could have bought it for his reserve of $24K which has been met already.I am looking for a driver first than project second and this one runs good and there is work that I could do myself.Any help will be appreciated Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FASTZ
He did tell me that I would have been here before he listed it I could have bought it for his reserve of $24K which has been met already. I am looking for a driver first than project second and this one runs good and there is work that I could do myself. Any help will be appreciated Thanks
What a deal that would have been !

Sounds like a good basic car with solid "bones" that hasn't been over restored or molested.

These quality of cars are getting harder and harder to find.

If I were in the market for a straight-axle car this one would be on my list.

Will you be bidding? (maybe you can convince the seller to end the auction and sell it to you locally)

Good luck
Old 11-02-2005, 09:08 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

What a deal that would have been !

Sounds like a good basic car with solid "bones" that hasn't been over restored or molested.

These quality of cars are getting harder and harder to find.

If I were in the market for a straight-axle car this one would be on my list.

Will you be bidding? (maybe you can convince the seller to end the auction and sell it to you locally)

Good luck
I will be I am just not sure what it is really worth.That is why I am asking for some advice here
Old 11-03-2005, 01:46 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

White car with red coves is the Best color combo that thay made....ok,ok,ok,some say it suck,but I love it
Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
STEVES59
Racer

I looked the car over today and it is pretty much as described.The car has what looks like a rust free chassis.Not body off just like someone cleaned it up some years ago than drove it but kept it inside and out of our rust belt winter weather here in NE OHIO.It would be pretty easy to go back over with some chassis black to make it look fresh again but it is decent as it is for a driver.The body does show some signs of previous repair but nothing major.This car was purchased by the owner in 1982 and all of the cosmetic work had been done prior to his ownership so it easy to see the flaws.I think that you wet saned and buffed the car it would come back pretty nicely but having said that there are a few nicks and scratches that need to be touched up.The interior is getting tired it is nmissing the stainless off of the door panels and the radio.The seat covers you could tell used to be black and had been died red and now through the tears of use the black is showing in spots and the cushion on the driver side is losing it shape.The soft top looks decent but does have a little hole in it.So I guess that it pretty much has all of its parts except the radio.The engine is "870" block with what looks like a '63 date.The owner had it rebuilt about 10yrs ago and it runs strong and has solid lifters and a aftermarket intake and headers.The exhaust goes out under the car instead of through the bumbers and the holes where the exhaust would have went have been glassed over.It looks like that would be a pretty easy fix.The only ownership or history is from the owner of 23yrs and I guess that I could check the place that he bought it from as it is a local muscle car dealer that is still in business.I guess that pretty much covers it.I am interested in the car but I am not real sure on it's value as I have not been up on the C1's and I am not sure what it will bring in the auction.He did tell me that I would have been here before he listed it I could have bought it for his reserve of $24K which has been met already.I am looking for a driver first than project second and this one runs good and there is work that I could do myself.Any help will be appreciated Thanks
If you can convince the guy to end the auction for under 30000 grab the car If its what you say it is I feel its worth in the mid range 30000"s the way it sits
Old 11-03-2005, 10:02 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Cars like this are always a work in progress. The seller may say rebuilt this and original that, but you will really can only know once you bought it.
If it is not rusty, I think that the price of $24000 is a good price, it is really hard to find a good running somehwhat original solid axel for under $30000. Everything wrong can be corrected as you go. Having a soft top is nice.

oWEN
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OldDog58Vette
White car with red coves is the Best color combo that thay made....
They (GM) never made them in that color combo.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default $24000 is a steal it now price

$24000 is for projects without motors

A new complete interior, $4000 installed
Complete exhaust system including manifolds, $750
Minor body work, renew rear exhaust ports, side cove paint and clean up. $2500

So now you have invested $7250 additional, and everything has been done by a shop. If you are handy yourself, $3500 ought to cover the improvments.

But if you can buy the car at $27500 + $7250= $34750 in a car worth $40000.........even with a wrong engine. And if mine, I would put a 2x4 WCFB 270hp carb set up on it, and go burn rubber.

Let me know if you pass,..........I want it.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:40 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimgessner
$24000 is for projects without motors

A new complete interior, $4000 installed
Complete exhaust system including manifolds, $750
Minor body work, renew rear exhaust ports, side cove paint and clean up. $2500

So now you have invested $7250 additional, and everything has been done by a shop. If you are handy yourself, $3500 ought to cover the improvments.

But if you can buy the car at $27500 + $7250= $34750 in a car worth $40000.........even with a wrong engine. And if mine, I would put a 2x4 WCFB 270hp carb set up on it, and go burn rubber.

Let me know if you pass,..........I want it.
Well I was all set to buy the '59 when I got a call from a guy who bought my '69 390hp roadster off of me 12yrs ago.He said that he was thinking of selling it.Well I was the original owner and even though the car was nothing really rare it has always been the one that I was kicking myself about selling so I bought it back today So now I have to pass on the straight axle so Jim feel free,the auction still looks like it is under the money good luck and thanks for everyones input

Get notified of new replies

To value advice on a C1

Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Well I was all set to buy the '59 when I got a call from a guy who bought my '69 390hp roadster off of me 12yrs ago.He said that he was thinking of selling it.

Well I was the original owner and even though the car was nothing really rare it has always been the one that I was kicking myself about selling so I bought it back today
Way cool. Got your old car back. Maybe one day I'll get a call like that.

There are a few cool cars in my past that I wouldn't mind if they found their way home.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:02 AM
FASTZ
Drifting

Way cool. Got your old car back. Maybe one day I'll get a call like that.

There are a few cool cars in my past that I wouldn't mind if they found their way home.
I am getting the old girl back but I am already starting to kick myself over not getting the '59 for a driver/project
I guess that you cannot have them all at least that is what my wife says
Old 11-06-2005, 10:53 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default ONE OF EVERY YEAR.........just not at the same time

I am getting the old girl back but I am already starting to kick myself over not getting the '59 for a driver/project
I guess that you cannot have them all at least that is what my wife
says
My wife has always said, "you want one of every year !!.....What am I going to do with you?"

Well, thank God I did not have the $$$ to fulfill that dream, ....so I have had to do it one at a time. Never had one of every year, but owned over 60 of them.

There was a time when I had 7 Corvettes and an a 69 Camaro Pace car convert and my 65 El Camino daily driver. Now that was a lot of work, as every car needed repairs and I could never get focused on which car to fix.

So enjoy your first car. In 1989, I bought my wife's 77 Corvette back for her. I had sold it to a good friend in 84. He had driven it only 5000 miles in 5 years, so it was well cared for.

She bought it new before I met her, and today it is very special. My cars are gone...........but she still has her 77. Only 73500 miles and all original.
She drove it once a week all summer and loved it. Even new C-5 owners gave her the 'wave'.

It's great that these old Corvettes can bring us all so much joy.

Quick Reply: value advice on a C1