Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tape or 3M Painters tape?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Race Tape or 3M Painters tape?

For those of you that tape around the wheels wells, rockers, and lower doors, is there a big difference in protection between race tape and 3M blue painters tape?

Also, If I order the race tape, how much will I need to do the above tape job for one track session?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Painters tape works fine, and leaves less residue. It doesn't take much to block the "fine" debris that sandblasts your paint, although a big rock might make it through anything you might use.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cj68
For those of you that tape around the wheels wells, rockers, and lower doors, is there a big difference in protection between race tape and 3M blue painters tape?

Also, If I order the race tape, how much will I need to do the above tape job for one track session?

Thanks,

Chris
Duct tape now comes in differnt tact or stickiness. Also in different colors. I have Yellow mediem tact duct tape for my yellow car It is about the same stickiness as painters tape.

I should have put on that clearstic before I stated doing DEs.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 AM
cj68
Pro

Thanks to both of you. I know, I wish that I would have done Cleartastic or 3M as well. I could have prevented a lot of chips. Oh well, better late than never.

Chris
Old 09-15-2004, 01:45 PM
kraff
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like racers tape in the same color as my car (almost). I tape before going to an event as vracers throw up lots of stones, cause as much damage on the way to an event as at one. It does leave more residue than painters tape (used both), but painters tape often came off (maybe I got bad stuff). Little trick for getting residue off is to use a fresh piece of tape to blot what is left. Pulls right off
Old 09-15-2004, 03:04 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Just call me the king of cheap! I use clear plastic shelf paper from Wal Mart. One roll lasts about 8 events, and costs about $5. If you look closely at my sig picture you can see it behind the front and rear wheels. It's also along the edges of the wheel wells, but you can't see it very well.

I find that it has just the right amount of adhesion, comes off with little or no trouble, and stays on, at least up to about 110 mph (the highest I've gone in my autocross/time trials).

End of the day, peel it off, wad it up, toss it in the trash, and you're done!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-15-2004, 04:08 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Cleartastic and the painter's tape for autocross. Not sure it would hold up for a track day. Occationally I have to reapply during an event due to it's peeling off.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

The painters tape works fine, but doesn't stick quite as well. It's also kind of goofy looking, especially on a black car. IMO, both leave residue and I have to use something to get it off (3M Adhesive Remover), so the extra residue doesn't bother me with the racers tape.

You can always double up the tape if you're worried about bigger rocks. Both tape will be fine though protecting against smaller debris.

X
Old 09-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cj68
Thanks to both of you. I know, I wish that I would have done Cleartastic or 3M as well. I could have prevented a lot of chips. Oh well, better late than never.

Chris
Try www.ducktapeclub.com
Old 09-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

I find that it has just the right amount of adhesion, comes off with little or no trouble, and stays on, at least up to about 110 mph (the highest I've gone in my autocross/time trials).
It'll hold to 140+.

I was associated with a company that produced that white film you see on the hoods and trunks of all new cars on the haulers when they come into the delaerships. I'm going to try some of that stuff since I have a monster roll it and it didn't cost anything. I'll let y'all know.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
It's also kind of goofy looking, especially on a black car. smaller debris.

X

That's why I use it...so when I beat my competitors with the "goofy car with the tape" they really feel small.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

I use the temp. carpet runner clear plastic film. It is about 2' wide and has just the right amount of adhesion to stay in place and comes off easily with NO residue. Go to Home Depot or Lowes in the carpet section. Lasts along time, many feet per roll. I can ensure you it stays in place at speeds at least up to 150 mph on the track. I have been rained on, driven with it many, many miles to track events, left it on for several days to no detriment at all.

Falcon,

You did not tell me about the special white stuff you have! Yeah if I had that I would be using! So I use the other stuff that works pretty good.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Brad, I'll have it on at RR so we can judge how well it works.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Yes I am interested. I am always looking for better products. OBTW, we need to get you better brake pads. Forgot to bring this up with you. You are ready big time. If you are interested let me know and I will email you options.

Last edited by Cisitalia; 09-15-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:44 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Falcon]It'll hold to 140+.

[QUOTE]

painters tape work fine but requires touchups during the event
Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

[QUOTE=varkwso][QUOTE=Falcon]It'll hold to 140+.

painters tape work fine but requires touchups during the event
I've found a trick that makes the painters tape stay on much better. What you need to know is that painters tape sticks to the car better than it sticks to itself. So I always start a strip of tape at the wheel well and go back from there. All the tape overlapping happens near the back of the tape strips, where the wind is not trying to pull it loose. I've driven a whole DE day without needing to re-tape at all. It's a simple concept that really works well.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:27 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

You guys are funny !!!! Using tape, it is only a paint job

I use my insurance to repaint my car

It happens that pppl like to key it every once in 2 years or so , do u know what i mean????

Get notified of new replies

To Race Tape or 3M Painters tape?

Old 09-18-2004, 12:46 AM
383LPE
Drifting

Originally Posted by MUKAKsC5
I use my insurance to repaint my car......It happens that pppl like to key it every once in 2 years or so , do u know what i mean????

I guess you mean INSURANCE FRAUD.

Thanks from the rest of us that pay for your paint jobs.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:46 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Insurance fraud?? what the hell is INsurance fraud?? Never heard of it
Old 09-18-2004, 06:41 AM
BrianS
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Just call me the king of cheap! I use clear plastic shelf paper from Wal Mart. One roll lasts about 8 events, and costs about $5. If you look closely at my sig picture you can see it behind the front and rear wheels. It's also along the edges of the wheel wells, but you can't see it very well.

End of the day, peel it off, wad it up, toss it in the trash, and you're done!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
I use this (although from home depot (wal mart has not made its way to Long Island yet)) for my numbers. I have not had a problem with chips yet, but then again I run on street tires. It is those pesky black marks that get all over my car. They come off but require a ton of rubbing.

Quick Reply: Race Tape or 3M Painters tape?