Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bend Open Road Race Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:42 PM
mhefner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI-3 Show Winner
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Big Bend Open Road Race Video

In car video with my HUD visible, 120 miles, 116 turns 127mph average
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=837927
Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Big Bend Open Road Race Video (mhefner)

What do you plan to do to go faster? In the GS 168 mph class, I see rule 5 requires a type of rollbar. Do they accept the factory roll hoop as enough protection? Also, rule 7 mandates a quick release steering wheel. If you get that, please post how to fit a quick release steering wheel because myself and a few other forum members want to do this too.

I'd be very interested in learning how you meet the safety regulations for the faster class as I'd like to run this next year too. Unlimited looks too hard to achieve because of the full rollcage and fuel cell, and my car probably wouldn't see 180 mph anyway, no matter how long and straight those roads are. In any case, that looked like a lot of fun. I wish I could do the same more often without the risk of a HUGE speeding ticket.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:14 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,402 Likes on 750 Posts

Ok, Mike, time to spill the beans. How did your baby do? Temps, tires, etc. Looked like you were running in 5th, but did you run any significant parts in 4th?

Oh, and how bad did you on your navigator for being more than 2 mph off your target speed. Bad driver, bad bad bad!

Did you have to take a driver's test? If so, what was involved?

Thanks for the info; hopefully one of these days my wife and I'll get to do BBORR.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-10-2004, 05:40 PM
mhefner
Drifting

CI-3 Show Winner
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Big Bend Open Road Race Video (leaftye)

Yes running the GS 168mph class. I'll do the 130mph class or 135 next year. The big bend organizers have always consider the C5 hoop a rollbar. And the rule 7 isn't mandator for that class, just a suggestion.

The unlimited and 180 class would be tough in a stock car, to much to do. Also the big bend course record is only 165mph. This course is one of the most techinical because of all the turns.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:46 PM
mhefner
Drifting

CI-3 Show Winner
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Big Bend Open Road Race Video (VetteDrmr)

Temperture wise my car did excellent, nothing was even close to getting hot except for oil. And that was no hotter than a typical road race session.
Once I got into 5th it stayed there as my rpm's range from 2500 to 4500 which was right in my power band.

And I can't blame my navigator, although he did really get missed up on the first leg of the course. But each year we have raced just to see how comfortable the higher speeds where. Each year I go faster and I'm not trying to get the average for my class, just to see if I can keep going faster and faster. Once I get to a speed that is scary or uncomfortable, then I'll slow down and try to get the average.

No drivers test, but if you have other race lisences or have competed in other open road races then you can do it. Otherwise they do have practice sessions or if you choose not to do those you can run in the 110mph class or slower your first time.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Default Re: Big Bend Open Road Race Video (leaftye)

Leaftye,
In New mex you are not that much further from the Open road races in Nevada. Those are the Fast ones less turns generally. Yes, Unlimited is a pain(in the wallet) to qualify for, but is fun to run. In a vette you can qualify for 150 average without too much trouble. That will give you a 165 tech speed.
There is a guy from Alamagorto(sp) NM that runs a mid-engine Corvair (no not Corvette) in Unlimited with a Corvette motor. Very cool car that he built himself.
Come on out a good time is had by all. Also anyone that has not been to one of these races only sees the fun of racing. The people and activitys that surround these event are big fun too. Like the blender boys, who bring their 5hp race fueled blender to make drinks at the b get together party on Friday night.
Jeffy'
Old 06-11-2004, 01:52 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff!

Next year - we hope to make it next year!

Saw a few people who competed in the BBORR at the Hot Rod Power Tour in Arlington - the grins were still there....

Old 08-29-2004, 10:30 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhefner
In car video with my HUD visible, 120 miles, 116 turns 127mph average
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=837927

Why can't I access this video. Says I'm not authorized
Old 09-01-2004, 09:49 AM
mhefner
Drifting

CI-3 Show Winner
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Seems the forum is having issue the past few days and the link doesn't appear to exist anymore. Here is a direct link to the video

http://users3.ev1.net/~vettefolk/vid...owresshort.wmv
Old 09-01-2004, 04:22 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhefner
Seems the forum is having issue the past few days and the link doesn't appear to exist anymore. Here is a direct link to the video

http://users3.ev1.net/~vettefolk/vid...owresshort.wmv

Thanks ..... got it!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:24 AM
xc4champ
Instructor

That looks awesome! I run in PCA events, but we run out of track before hitting the 130's. Definately something I want to do next year.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Bend Open Road Race Video

Quick Reply: Big Bend Open Road Race Video