Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 03:25 AM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup

I am moving to BSP this season, as my long-tubes have made me illegal for stock. I was wondering what kind of mods guys running nationally at the BSP level where using?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Nick C
Instructor

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (rsafier)

Competitive cars will have a setup that will look like this:

-17x12 wheels front and rear; 315/335 Hoosiers; varies upon driver preference
-vette brakes xtreme springs; ~1200f, ~600r
-poly/delrin everywhere in the suspension except for the differential.
-offset front lower control arm bushings for obscene camber
-30mm front and 22mm rear swaybars; or adjustable
-Z51 steering rack
-Penske S/A, D/A, or T/A; JRZ, Koni D/A shocks are the usual suspects...
-aluminum flywheel
-3.54 gears
-lightweight exhaust

That's the basic setup, but there's a lot more to it than that though... ;)

Nick
Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (Nick C)

:crazy: Yeah, I'm glad I rarely see those setups at my local events, would be a brutal killing.

How much camber is "obscene"? After a little work I was able to get mine to -1.5 in the front without starting to mill down the aluminum inserts. Figure I could get 2.5-3 if I milled those down. Still have +5 caster without any shims other then those to even out the camber differences between the sides.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Nick C
Instructor

[QUOTE] :crazy: Yeah, I'm glad I rarely see those setups at my local events, would be a brutal killing.

QUOTE]

Yeah, welcome to my world.... NorCal is the BSP capitol of the country, hehe.

Don't touch those spacers though, not legal in BSP. Have to use the bushings in order to get that camber. I usually run -2.5 and could probably max out at a little over -3 degrees if I wanted. -2.5 camber usually translates to just a hair under 8 degrees of caster. Check out the rulebook before messing with the car too!

Nick
Old 03-04-2004, 01:38 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right Nick about those spacers. People spend $500 when it's all said and done to get serious negative camber. Why wouldn't SCCA want BSP'ers to achieve the same result for free by tweaking the upper control arm spacers? IMO, buddies of the Comp board in the offset lower control arm bushing business.

[Modified by h rocks, 1:38 AM 3/4/2004]
Old 03-04-2004, 01:45 AM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (h rocks)

I guess its the road racing guys that told me that I could do that to get extra camber, will have to read the BSP rules again. Because one side of the car has about 1/2 degree more then the other as it is now.
I really do need to replace my bushings at some point, being 19 years old they are pretty worn. Just don't have the cash for it. How much more are offset bushings then your standard poly replacements?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:33 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't futz with the offset bushings unless you do a hundred other things to your car, and you plan on using it ONLY for A-X. Once you lower the car, you will be able to get a good -2* camber up front. Rear is no problem. At -2* you will chew up tires if you drive the car relatively straight (interstate travel) The offset bushings are for HARD CORE dedicated autocrossers only. You don't need that much neg camber to run a roadcourse.

BTW, when you dump those squashed out old stock bushings, check out Global West Del-alum bushings. They are awesome, and will likely be the last set of bushings you will ever need to buy, regardless of how you use the car.

[Modified by h rocks, 9:35 AM 3/4/2004]
Old 03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (h rocks)

The cheap mod is legal in SM2.

Of course, then your running in SM2, all the BSP mods plus a lot more.

If you wanted to get into some engine & drivetrain mods, I'd consider it.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
90pololt4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (BrianCunningham)

The Del-lum bushing are really a neat set, but are not legal for BSP--Too much metal vs the stock bushing.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (90pololt4)

Add an LT4 for the extra RPM's and hp.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Scotty B
Racer

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (Goody)

The fastest BSP cars continually run KUMHO Tires :yesnod:

The winningest (word?) current BSP car in National Competition is the NayKid Racing KUMHO Tire 89 Corvette of Moffet/Buetow

The car is currently running fastest on 295/40x17 V710 KUMHOs on all four corners. The key to running smaller tires is the amazing grip of the V710 and the ability to make the car smaller (read more Lotus like) and narrower as opposed to making the car huge wide with 335's

This car has won 3 National Solo titles and won again last weekend at SanDiego in BSP & BSPL displacing last years Solo BSP Champ Tom Berry who hit cones all weekend on 335/315 combo :thumbs:

Oh BTW 11" wheels all around...

sbw

[Modified by Scotty B, 8:24 AM 3/10/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (Scotty B)

Yeah been reading great things about the V710. I have a set sitting in my garage just waiting for the season to begin. I had about 1/3 life left in my Victoracers but got lucky a guy in my AutoX club needed a set for MidOhio in a couple weeks, so bought mine off me! Look very aggresive, can't wait to try them.
Don't have the money to get new wheels just yet, so still running on my extra set of 265/45/16s. Hopefully by the time I run thru this set of tires I will be able to afford getting a nice lightweight set of 17s. Stock 16x9.5s aren't exactly light.
I was wondering how much life are people getting out of there V710s? Or do most of the national guys just use a set for the weekend and get new ones (something I certianly will not be doing). I would expect quicker wear compared to the Victos as they are only 30 wear-rating compared to 50, but how much is this? Can I expect them to last 10 events many with a co-driver? How is grip after heatcycling, hopefully like the Victos which I though was pretty consistent?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:20 PM
kkonen
Racer

The easy way to get more negative camber is to use 84-87 upper control arms. They are shorter than the 88-96 and give the same amount of camber as offset bushings. You can combine the two and be really obscene. I think that -3 camber is all you would ever need, but you could not drive that on the street. I run -1.6 and I eat thru tires fast. Higher tire pressures reduce the inner wear associated with negative camber.

A big key to running BSP (autox in general) is to get the car as light as possible. Relocating a light battery to the rear is good. Racing seats can save more than fifty pounds. I knew a guy that got a 96 under 3100 lbs.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Nick C
Instructor

Default Re: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup (kkonen)

I knew a guy that got a 96 under 3100 lbs.
You mean some crazy named Chris Ramey?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
kkonen
Racer

The one and only.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup

Quick Reply: SCCA BSP C4 Vette setup