Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funded Driver for T1 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Scotty B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Funded Driver for T1 Corvette

Hally Holidays to you all!

sbw

:chevy

[Modified by Scotty B, 6:19 PM 12/2/2003]
Old 11-28-2003, 11:03 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (Scotty B)

Scotty,
Nice post. My first season in T1 this year and I was pretty impressed with the level of competition (to understate things nicely).
Congrats to you and the rest of the Naykid Team for a great year. Looking forward to seeing you at the runoffs again next year.
:cheers:
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Scotty- why is Johns car a "factory Corvette"? We build them the same as you and get the same parts as you from GM. There are NO trick, factory experimental, or prototype, or whatever one off parts on our cars. We even use the stock T1 Sachs shocks- not some fancy shmancy (expensive) Penske shocks.
We just have a better understanding of Corvette setup and, of course, a better driver.
Every- and I mean every- Corvette we build for a customer is capable of winning the Runoffs. That must mean there's more than one "factory Corvette" out there.
Good luck next year and see ya at Mid Ohio.

Mark
Phoenix Performance
Old 11-29-2003, 01:26 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Let me set ya straight here......

>Well Mark,

>I guess I mistated but didn't have room and if it makes you feel better I can >change the post

>The truth is that you are funded by GM and you have a paid professional >driver from GM in your car.

GM does not pay John nor does GM give us any funding or technical support.

>You use Goodyear tires that have quite different characteristics than any of >the other competitors using Goodyears IE: the way they paint the track >black under acceleration That looks like a very "factory effort" to me with >the ties to and funding from GM I don't know what else you would call it...?

We get our tires from Competiton Tires East or Competition Tires South. These are the EXACT SAME Goodyears that every other Corvette with Goodyear tires are using. Maybe it's because of John's corner exit speed. Maybe it's because we can program a pcm. Seems I remember you were testing some experimental tires and saying how much closer you will be next year...that is if these tires are available.

>At least one of the cars you won with was never a production street car but >a car built from parts or a C5R kit so I would say you certainly do not build >a car "the same as we do".

All of our cars have vins, though. C5R kit cars do not.

>Your driver? Well hell yes he is fast, and especialy fast in a C5 since he >developed all the parts we are mandates to use in the class. The best? >well...? So far it certainly looks that way, but it very interesting to note that >in other series where all the competitors are on the same tires and weigh >the same in race trim he has not always finished ahead of other drivers that >he races against in T1 now...

Since these are the parts that anyone can buy at any GM dealer in the country- they are not anything special. NOTHING has been done to them except installed on the car as received from GM. Now, if John didn't develop these parts, do you actually think the Corvette would be the dominating car that it is in T1? I rember John winning numerous championships in the old Firestone Firehawk series.

>But your cars capable of winning? It seems as though the only time a >Phoenix car has won anything significant is when Heinricy was driving...

Isn't that all that matters? Who won the 99 Runoffs? I thought a Phoenix car won the June Sprints...

>Keep in mind that I had more to do with the build of Jeff's car (now David's >car) than Phoenix did.

Building a car is one thing. Having the proper set up is an entirely different story.

>It would seem as though there was only one Phoenix car in the top 5 this >year at Runnoffs yet there were regularly "THREE" NayKid Racing car in the >top 5 all weekend... There was only "TWO" cars on the same second as >Heinricy and they were both NayKid Racing cars weren't they?

One in the top five, two in the top six.
If you're refering to race lap times. John went fast enough to stay ahead. Let's look at the qualifying times. How many seconds was the second place car behind?

>And the one that was only one tenth off John's fast lap was at least 125lb >heavier than Heinricy in race trim...

see above.

>No Mark, it really looks like you guys hang your hat on a great driver and >some great factory connections & funding and I'm not whining about it, in >fact we feel it enhances the class & we enjoy going up against the best >there is and right now your #32 car is the high water mark.

Again, no funding.

>We dispatched Archer & Schaeder this year and got closer to John than >anyone else has since he started running T1. Next year we have some >plans for setting a new mark...

Great! looking forward to the competition.

>How do you guys feel about getting beat by a girl anyway...?

A driver is a driver. I've never, ever feel bad about getting beaten by a better competitor or by a better prepared car.

>Thanx for playing Mark,

>hey BTW are you guys gonna cowboy up this year and come to the Sprints >or keep whinin you can't win at Rd. America? Haven't you heard it's a >Corvette track now

>CU in June?

That's up to Joe. But, maybe we'll stay home and have Dave win another one.

sbw

PS- I hope you're taking all this in with a smile because I am. You guys at NayKid Racing are a lot of fun to race with and against as are all the people I've gotten to know in T1.

Mark
Old 11-29-2003, 03:05 PM
SoCal Rebell
Pro

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (3X2)

3X2, don't waste your breath, I've learned first hand Scotty is an obnoxious big mouth moron whose goal in life is to be an egotistical idiot.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:32 PM
OT Challenge
Intermediate

If this is the quality of smack seen in T1, let me add it to my talking points with Steve Johnson.

/note to self re SCCA Pres:

* drifting. wtf?
* unfunny drivers

-BP
Old 11-29-2003, 07:49 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If I had the extra money I would love to try this. I would like to find out if my skills are good enough for professional racing.

99 SPEED GT Champ Bobby Archer (factory Viper)
I met with Bobby in '00 about being on his team and he said yes but at the time I just had too much going on to spend nights and all weekend working on someone elses car and realized I would not be able to put my full effort into it. So I didn't join.

[Modified by rgregory, 6:50 PM 11/29/2003]
Old 11-29-2003, 08:39 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

:lurk:
Old 11-29-2003, 09:41 PM
SoCal Rebell
Pro

Scotty your wit has no end :U , why don't ya run the OTC on 5 different tracks and we''ll see how you fair :boxing
Old 11-30-2003, 07:17 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Exactly what did I "lie" about? You need to get your facts correct.

This is my last post on this subject.

Mark
Phoenix Performance
Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Ho Ho Ho and Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Is T-1 racing the best or what...

Thank you to all of our frends and supporters for all of the kind words and to Speed Chaannel for a great T-1 TV show...

See you all next year!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:51 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (jfaphoenix32)

LOL, If ya wanna really get the popcorn out, you should see these guys go at it on the SCCA forums (disclaimer- a non corvette specific, therefore non competitor site for Corvetteforum)
Old 12-02-2003, 09:01 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (NJCRUISER)

I really enjoy watching all the Corvettes race regardless of the politics involved. Just awesome to see basically all Corvettes in T1 class. Keep up the good work.
Mike
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (ZR1 MK)

Scotty B get real! Except for one BMW the whole Run Off feild was Corvettes.

So the reason G.M. would need to "fund" anyone in T1 is what? It's the least interest to G. M., a Corvette wins every Regional/National/Run Off SCCA has.

Take a good look at what Phoenix responded with about the PCM (no doubt John Heinricy has an insiders effect here). SCCA should truly require a sealed stock G.M. PCM for T!1/T2 similiar to what is used from Holden in the ASA series for the LS1.

:chevy
Old 12-02-2003, 11:15 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (z060ntrack)

I wish I had the money to do T1. Alas, as a non trust fund baby and being 26 years old a few years out of college, my money (or lack thereof) prevents me from doing anything but autocrosses and driving school events around Texas.

Sad thing is, I've had a few dozen people tell me I need to get into competitive racing. I can count on one hand the number of cars that have ever passed me at driving schools. Unfortunately, a 'driving school' isn't racing, so it doesn't mean much. :rolleyes:
Old 12-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Hope the level of Smack hasn't been too rough for this BB :)here but those are the facts.
Naw this forum has seen enough smack talk to flame the entire internet. :rofl:

NOW WHO WANTS TO GO RACIN!?!?!?
Me :seeya
Old 12-02-2003, 04:05 PM
jackmott
Pro

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (Zee Freak)

wait, what was this original post about?

show up and race?

sign me up!

Get notified of new replies

To Funded Driver for T1 Corvette

Old 12-02-2003, 05:51 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette (jackmott)

wait, what was this original post about?

show up and race?

sign me up!
You forgot the part where you put down the $6 grand!!!

:steering:
Old 12-02-2003, 05:52 PM
TEXAST1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see SBW wears his opinion on his sleeve on all forums. At least you always know where he stands! :reddevil

[Modified by TEXAST1, 10:53 PM 12/2/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Ok, so getting back to the original post before all this stupid arguing began....

So let me get this straight, you want me (or anyone) to give you $6k to race
my car with your name on it? Ok, so you can tune it up and all, make it a full blown race car. Awsome, I'd love to drive one. But If I have the money, why wouldn't I just buy one of last year's cars from you, or Phoenix and put my name/company on it? Is it your sponsorship that will make me a better driver? You can't bring me to the runoffs, I have to make it there myself. Hey Mark, or any of the guys at Phoenix, how much would it cost ME to drive for your team, if I was good enough to place top 5/win consistantly(sp?)? Something about this sounds a little fishy to me.
I am only 17, but will be attending Skip Barber for the first time this summer. I will be driving an ITS class RX-7. Hopefully, I will be moving up quickly. If anyone needs a driver in 5 years, give me a call. I'll be fresh out of college (next big thing!!), but will have almost no money. If by then, I'm good enough, I'd love to race for one of you guys, as long as there is no $6k weekly fee.

So about the arguing...I think we should let Mr. Heinricy defend himself here. In fact, one of you guys at Pheonix should get him on the forum, I think we all could learn alot from him.

One last question. Was Bobby Archer the one who decided not to race at runoffs because the tire regulations are too small and they are unable to fully utalize the power of the Viper? I heard the announcers talking about this at the start of the T1 race, just checking to see if it was Bobby. Hopefully we will see some Vipers in next year's field!

Well guys....good luck with next season. Happy racing! :cheers:
:party:

Quick Reply: Funded Driver for T1 Corvette