Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW TO AUTO-X AND ROADRACING? look in here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbopower87
Thanks guys I plan to sign up for one 30 min from me in March!
You can check out NCCC too for events. St. Augustine sin't too far north of you and we also run a little south of you in Palm Bay. Or just north of Tampa in Brooksville we run a test and tune with plenty of seat time at least once a month.

http://www.ncccsouth.com/html/schedule.html

The schedule gets updated every couple of weeks.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread. Read each and every post and am certianly still learning. Im in my second year of AutoXing and my first year with my 02 Vert. My input is in racing in the SCCA AS class is as follows:

1. I have an A4 and drive start to finish in second gear.
2. I select competive mode.
2. I lowered my suspension on the stock bolts, it makes a world of difference.
3. I have driven each competition with my top down.
4. I am learning to drive smooth, rather than fast. If you tires are screeching your losing time.

My results this year 2 for 2 1st place finishes, and trust me Im not the best driver I know. If you are in the NC area shoot me a PM, we will be autocrossing at the Air Station at Cherry Point in the July/Aug time frame and is one of the biggest and fastest courses in our area.

All this might be out the window as I will be installing a A&A Vortec SC system soon!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

Here is a nicely done vid on intro to autox...

http://vimeo.com/12067348
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

hi guys how much money should I prepare for each season/year for tracking the car? what's your guy's expenses/budge for this/? thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
hi guys how much money should I prepare for each season/year for tracking the car? what's your guy's expenses/budge for this/? thanks
Not to be a smart a$$ but you can spend as much as you want. It all depends on what you're trying to do and how serious you want to get about it. Some of us spend a lot of money (and time) doing this. Others don't do it very often and don't spend much at all.

A set of tires is about 1,300 or so. CCW wheels will set you back about 2,500 a set for new, about 1,200 to 1,800 for used. That's just to get you started. Then you've got sway bars, shocks, seat, harness, etc, etc. Then add in travel expenses to get to and from the events.....

Or if you want to just see what it's like make sure your street tires are in good condition, change the oil, bleeed the brakes, check all the other fluids and just go have fun and see if you like it and want to get serious.

It depends on how far you want to go with it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Toddolie
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Cheap Harness

Finally, one tip for you C5 newbies: You can lock the lapbelt down tight by pulling it out all the way then letting it retract. Shoulder belt doesn't do this, however.

Well, that's all for now, enjoy the track time and have a good one,
Mike
You can get the belt to "catch" by pulling it out quickly when you have the seat reclined just a bit, and while holding the belt, power or adjust the seat up to your preferred driving position and against the belt so that it is tight, thereby creating a one strap cheap harness effect. It helps.

Last edited by Toddolie; 03-22-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: better explanation
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Toddolie
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The first event for ASCC is going to be a "double" held on April 9th and 10th, at the big lot of the Hershey Park parking lot. This is a big and fast challenging track and good surface. Each day is a different layout with it's own qualities. If you're relatively local, within 2 hours or so, it's definately worth a trip in. We routinely have guys from upstate NY drive down to race with us. It's a well run program and there are novice instructors walk throughs and for those that would like the help of a driver coach.

You can pre-register at http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=12024.

Look for you there. I'll be in the MBM GTO. I can only make Saturday, Sunday is my son's confirmation.

Todd
Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...thread is getting a bit long to read in one sitting. haha.

I read every post and the one thing I never saw mentioned is reading the other cars/drivers. Meaning? You may have gotten along very well with the driver of a specific car in your DE1 or 2 group, but that doesn't mean they are the best cars to follow. Find drivers with similar cars to yours (front vs rear vs all wheel drive, etc). Ask your instructor or other instructors who in your group has a good line and one that you should try to follow (a good instructor will have scouted it and will direct you automatically). Look around for guys with notebooks or ones that are picking Veteran's brains after the download. They could have a suggestion for a way around that tricky section (always taken as JUST suggestions). When you grid up, there is a basic strategy for learning. For me, I wanted to be just behind a similar car with a good line, and a few cars behind something that I would feel motivated to catch up to. Talk to another driver and see if he/she wants to do a lead-follow with you (you lead for half session and then swap). I have an '05 C6. My DE1 and 2 days had me following a friend in an All-wheel drive car. I eventually learned that my car needed a different line in certain turns to maximize it's potential. I'm in DE3 now and still find playing a pre-arranged game of cat-mouse to be a lot more fun than just running laps for time...and I've learned a lot about car setups this way.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
LilRedz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been Autoxing for three years now in a stock Miata NB. Just bought a friend 01 Z06 last month after Autox in his car.Damn thing is a hugh Miata on steroids. The reason I bought the car is to weekend drive, Autox and do track days( something I was unable to to do in Miata) have read several pages of this blog and have found alot of helpfull advice. The one thing I haven't seen yet is the fact that GM says to add an extra quart of oil when autoxing & track days but it doesn't say what to do afterwards. What is the rule of thumb after track day , drain the extra oil out ? Have worked on cars & trucks(TT) for many years and the worst thing for oil seals is to much oil!!! Can someone please advise me as to best practices on this subject? Again thanks to the to the many more experinced Z06 drivers for this blog. Hope to get thru the whole blog soon. THANKS Joel
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Budgets - You should plan on roughly $1,000 a day. That includes travel, motels, food an dwear items on the car. If you run ten track days you're going to spend about $10,000 before you're done.

That may seem a little high until you have to buy a new set of Hoosiers or a new set of brake pads and rotors.

After 10 to 15 events the $1,000 number makes sense.

My next event at Sebring is with Chin. Entry is $400 and the hotel is $100. I haven't even put gas in the truck or had dinner and I'm already up to $500. Point made?

Richard Newton
Facebook

Last edited by rfn026; 09-30-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go into wheel to wheel competition... that number could go up to $1500 per day. Alot of that depends on the track and travel. I live pretty far away from most tracks so my travel expenses are always high. Some tracks are harder on tires and may require a new set to just get you through the weekend. It's alot of fun, but it can be hard on your wallet too.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Dr. Z
Here's some basics for autox and roadracing:
Pete
I just got back from a weekend at Pocono with the CVCC, and this list is SPOT ON! Read and memorize brethren, you will apply all of them at different times on the course!!:
I've now joined the Darkside.:vader:
Old 08-27-2013, 03:15 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Got a new to me 08 C6Z06. I presume I can get it back to SS. Rotors still a no no? The previous owner put them on for looks only. It also has a body color body wide Zr1 spoiler on the back. Likely that has to go also. What tires are available for our cars? I presume we still are limited to stock size wheels +/_ 7 mm.

I have run before in the 90's and then got a competition license and went road racing for about 5 years and than HPDE in a built Camaro.

I am not going to put the Z on a track but would like to run an autox or two particularly now that I am in SD which is the site of the worlds best autox surface at Qualcomm. Are there street tire classes still? I have 300 tread wear Michelin PSSs so they should work if I can't find Kumhos or Hoosiers in the correct size.

Edit: I just pulled up the May 13 edition of the Solo2 rules and they don't have the C6Z06 classed anywhere. Not atypical of what I remember of the SCCA and why I went road racing with NASA. There are a whole lot of people that take running around a parking lot for 4-6 minutes a day at relatively low speeds very seriously. I suppose I was one of them for a number of years and it was a total blast until I got on a big track for 20+ minutes at a time.

Last edited by pkincy; 08-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Thanks too all who have offered their time and experience!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 PM
redhot400
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okaythen
I just completed my 1st year. Did 5 weekends with NASA,Southeast in a 14k 05 C6 Z51, 2 HPDE 1, 3 HPDE 2. Started with a second set of new track tires and set of 10.5 C5ZO6 rims on Toyo R888 tires 305 rear/265 front. Put Carbotech XP12 and XP10 pads front and rear. High temp Castrol REACT brake fluid and after 4 events added new front pads and new front rotors. Total cost $3460. Have used up 60% of tires. Plus 5 oil changes and two brake fluid changes. Not a cheap sport even on a low budget like mine. Oh add another $3500-$4500 for track fees, hotels, fuel, food etc. Oh add if you don't have a pickup someone can drive to the track with tools, tires, Jack etc. You'll need a friend to drive it and follow you to the track. It's definitely a commitment. And I didn't brake anything or spin or crash. But OMG I love it and I'm 3 years away from 70 years old! -

Last edited by redhot400; 12-21-2013 at 10:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
72greg (11-01-2020)
Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

When road racing I figured $1000 per race weekend for entry fees, lodging, food, gas for the car and the tow rig, and tires (used Toyos in a spec series that only had to be replaced twice a season). With 10 races in a season that was $10,000.

That did not cover equipment or major breakage or repair of crash damage or normal upgrading of safety equipment, etc.

I suspect HPDE can be done with a bit less of a budget but not much unless you live close to an active track.

Yes, it is expensive.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks to all of you.
Yes this thread is still being read...and applied.

Get notified of new replies

To NEW TO AUTO-X AND ROADRACING? look in here...

Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This might be slightly off topic, but it seems like as good of a place as any to say this. I just wanted to say that this is a great community. Not a lot of pissing contests. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people. I'm 24 and getting my track car C5 FRC going and have asked plenty of dumb questions only to receive helpful responses and no one trying to make me feel stupid.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by pkincy
When road racing I figured $1000 per race weekend for entry fees, lodging, food, gas for the car and the tow rig, and tires (used Toyos in a spec series that only had to be replaced twice a season). With 10 races in a season that was $10,000.

That did not cover equipment or major breakage or repair of crash damage or normal upgrading of safety equipment, etc.

I suspect HPDE can be done with a bit less of a budget but not much unless you live close to an active track.

Yes, it is expensive.
I agree with your $1000 per event estimate, at least as a minimum. I'm just over 2.5 hours away from my home track - Road America. I trailer the vette there.

Truck gas round trip $150
3 day event registration $600 (bargain)
Daily vette gas $100/day $300

Right there is over $1000 for the bare necessities to play in my back yard.

Im afraid to run the numbers when I factor in brake fluid/pads and rotors, not to mention truck gas to Florida tracks twice a year.

All of this cost and no prize money. Maybe it's time to start making bets with other drivers in the paddock over the best lap times. Kidding.....wait, that could work! (Kidding)
Old 08-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Beginner here, this thread is great, I have to read it again.
This really Helps

Quick Reply: NEW TO AUTO-X AND ROADRACING? look in here...