Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 01:51 PM
Max_Z06
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette recomendation

Just saved up from my first-year apprenticeship

In the market to get into street racing / Autocross, mainly want to build a car for hard twisties around where I'm at, yet still keeping the somewhat daily driveable reliability / comfort.
I was looking into a C5Z or a C6Z, really prefer the looks of the C5, but reading the forums so far C6Z has more power for what you're getting. I just need general advice on which one would be better, I do plan on keeping the car relatively low in HP bouncing between sub 600 ish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-03-2024, 07:03 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Congrats on saving money for a car.

Where do you live?

A few thoughts as recommendations to you:
  • You don't need the horsepower you think you need. Modding the engine is for those who can throw away buckets of cash. I currently have five Corvettes. Three are wheel-to-wheel, one is a track day toy, the other a C8 daily driver. The built engine GT2 configured car costs about five times the money per lap over the course of the year compared to the Spec Corvettes.
  • C6Z will need some things done to have the engine last for your purposes.
  • Autocross and track days are great avocations.
  • Doing street racing, asking about that on a AX and Racing forum will bring frowns of disapproval from many. Take it to a track day instead. You will find the street racing thing isn't even a close comparison.

The following users liked this post:
Bobbo76 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:42 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 717 Likes on 473 Posts

Bang for the buck it's hard to beat a stock C5Z and then as you get more money you can let your imagination run wild

The following 2 users liked this post by Monkey D. Luffy:
itsonlyairandfuel (04-05-2024), jwt1603 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 08:21 AM
Max_Z06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Olitho
Congrats on saving money for a car.

Where do you live?

A few thoughts as recommendations to you:
  • You don't need the horsepower you think you need. Modding the engine is for those who can throw away buckets of cash. I currently have five Corvettes. Three are wheel-to-wheel, one is a track day toy, the other a C8 daily driver. The built engine GT2 configured car costs about five times the money per lap over the course of the year compared to the Spec Corvettes.
  • C6Z will need some things done to have the engine last for your purposes.
  • Autocross and track days are great avocations.
  • Doing street racing, asking about that on a AX and Racing forum will bring frowns of disapproval from many. Take it to a track day instead. You will find the street racing thing isn't even a close comparison.
Thanks for the last point, I have some local tracks near me I would love to go check out. So il stick to track days only
I appreciate the advice big time!

- To answer your question I'm up in Ontario, Canada.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:25 AM
Max_Z06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
Bang for the buck it's hard to beat a stock C5Z and then as you get more money you can let your imagination run wild

https://youtu.be/n81ksxoiuM4?si=78y2AiEPDtGWajB8
Woah that looks insane, I did a bit of research and saw a lot of people recommended LS7 swapping their C5Z, may be something I'd do. Where I'm at a C5Z is like 40k (CAD) cheaper then a C6Z
Old 04-04-2024, 09:53 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 55 Posts

If you're serious about autox that is probably going to influence car choice a lot. Different cars are strong favorites in different classes just due to how they group them and rules break down. If SCCA is big in Canada the c6z is pretty much top dog in AS. However I think CAMS is a more interesting class as you can actually do stuff. If you're not super serious about competition you might just look at a base c5 coupe. There isn't much on a c5z that can't be easily modded on a base and the price difference allows you to get a lot of work done before catching up to the c5z price. Less so with a c6 base. I'd look into the c6 gs as well. Its a good value if the c6z is a bit much for you.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:31 AM
Max_Z06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Midwayman
If you're serious about autox that is probably going to influence car choice a lot. Different cars are strong favorites in different classes just due to how they group them and rules break down. If SCCA is big in Canada the c6z is pretty much top dog in AS. However I think CAMS is a more interesting class as you can actually do stuff. If you're not super serious about competition you might just look at a base c5 coupe. There isn't much on a c5z that can't be easily modded on a base and the price difference allows you to get a lot of work done before catching up to the c5z price. Less so with a c6 base. I'd look into the c6 gs as well. Its a good value if the c6z is a bit much for you.
This was exactly what I was looking for, SCCA isn't so big but we have local racing leagues and other things similar to SCCA. Id like to get into CSCS one day which is similar to a entry to pro ish racing. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2024, 10:37 AM
Themack
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After owning all 3 it really depends on budget as you can't go wrong, but I would say try to get a C6 GS with a lot of mods you're looking for already done to it. If you are willing to stretch your budget to $50k for a Z06 there's some really nice turn key ready to go cars here
Max_Z06 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:55 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

If your going to work on this car yourself You might consider a C4. Conventual Powertrain is much easier to maintain. Excelent ZF Trans. Clamshell Hood makes the best access to engine and front suspension of just about any car ever made. Dirt cheap entry point.
Max_Z06 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 07:44 AM
rentedmule
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran my C6 GS in auto-x last year after many years in an F-body. Bone stock and on 7 year old tires it wasn't far behind a lightly modded C5Z on good rubber. You can't go wrong with either. Prices have shot up a lot (50%) in the last 3 years so you can't get as much car for the money now as you could in the past. $20K C5Z's used to be easy to find but you'd lucky to get one under $30K now. C6Z prices are crazy in Canada.
The following 2 users liked this post by rentedmule:
Max_Z06 (04-16-2024), Themack (04-17-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 07:52 AM
cwatson6
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

I have nothing to add to the above suggestions, but I'm happy that you asked before jumping into the water with both feet.
Max_Z06 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 09:38 AM
ariZona06
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 198 Posts

I highly recommend the C5Z! Perform all of the preventive maintenance to set a baseline. For Auto X just get some decent tires and brakes and start getting seat time. Take baby steps on the slippery slope of mods, easy to get carried away. Find a nice roadracing track/club and you might dicover it's a hobby you want to pursue. No need to race on the street and deal with the potential penalties. I really like my track '03 Z!

The following 2 users liked this post by ariZona06:
Bobbo76 (04-17-2024), Max_Z06 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:20 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

Best bang for the (low) buck is a C5. Workable stock, easily modded in steps if desired.
Save the money you'd spend on anything else, and spend it on track days with an instructor.
After you've done a few of them, you'll be way too fast to enjoy pretending to go fast out in the country.
Skip the canyon roads. If you're out there, and anywhere near the limits of the car, eventually it'll be a problem.
Faster car: Bigger problem.

Cheers!
Max_Z06 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 09:56 AM
Max_Z06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rentedmule
I ran my C6 GS in auto-x last year after many years in an F-body. Bone stock and on 7 year old tires it wasn't far behind a lightly modded C5Z on good rubber. You can't go wrong with either. Prices have shot up a lot (50%) in the last 3 years so you can't get as much car for the money now as you could in the past. $20K C5Z's used to be easy to find but you'd lucky to get one under $30K now. C6Z prices are crazy in Canada.

Yeah around my area a C6Z will go for 60K baseline, saw a ZR1 for sale at 130K

C5Z's will bounce between 30-45K which fits more in my budget, so I may go C5Z but If I find a cheap deal on a C6Z il pick it up.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:58 AM
Max_Z06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ariZona06
I highly recommend the C5Z! Perform all of the preventive maintenance to set a baseline. For Auto X just get some decent tires and brakes and start getting seat time. Take baby steps on the slippery slope of mods, easy to get carried away. Find a nice roadracing track/club and you might dicover it's a hobby you want to pursue. No need to race on the street and deal with the potential penalties. I really like my track '03 Z!
Thank you! I appreciate the advice.

As for mods, I'm only curious as for how the car steers, is it more setup for understeer or oversteer?
Old 04-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Bobbo76
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Where in Ontario are you?

Keep in mind there is a substantial delta between the price of a C5Z and a C6Z. In "Canadian Tire" money you're about $20K more for the C6Z. Another consideration would be a C6GS. All of the Z06 goodies without the L$7 challenges.

If you're going into any motorsport discipline the KISS method is crucial to enjoying the experience. Big power on most tracks isn't what dictates how enjoyable it is. Not breaking is what makes it fun.

There are a lot of very smart and experienced folks on here with some excellent advice that may go against what you want to hear but their experience cost them A LOT of time and money. They'll help you save both.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:06 PM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup. You absolutely do not need a bajillion hp to have fun on the track. The thrills are more in the turning than the straight line speed. Even a base c5 has plenty of power to be fun on the track.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:02 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

5 years ago I wouldve said C5Z but now my vote would be a C6 GS as it is really hard to find a C5Z in good shape at a decent price.
Themack (04-19-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Vette recomendation

Quick Reply: Vette recomendation