Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average yearly cost to track vette.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:07 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by rtperthuis
My response included tires, brake pads, fluids etc. Tires being the bulk of it. Generally run a new set of Hoosiers every weekend. Old tires are slow.
Yep, that'll do it for sure. Way above my pay grade.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:21 PM
Pshoe
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The faster you want to go the higher the rate of consumption.
Motorsports is a sport of consumption.

Alot of my students that are just starting out are running pilot super sports, stock pads, and a fluid flush. It's alot of car. It takes some weekends before most really start pushing the car.
And needing higher cost consumables. If you're starting out the rate of consumption tends to be lower
Old 02-29-2024, 08:14 PM
E-Emmons
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The cost difference on track between the two will be completely negligible as a beginner. Buy which ever one you will enjoy more OFF the track. On track, both will be so EXTREMELY capable, even in stock form, it wont matter.
Personally my leading considerations between the two would be : C7 has a manual option, C8 is newer and "better" looking - weighed against the cost to find one.

I hear upstate NY and assume your main track will be Watkins Glen ( maybe Club Sport NH, or Palmer ? ). Those tracks are not particularly hard on consumables. Consumables of racing vs HPDE track days are very different. For HPDE you'll freshen brake fluid. Change pads and tires when they are fully worn. How many burnouts you decide to do in town will have more effect on this. Beginner track days will obviously increase wear but you're not blowing through stuff like some might lead you to believe. People running new Hoosiers every weekend are either truly racing or just have money to burn (and yes, I'm super jealous I cant run new Hoosiers every weekend even if its unnecessary in DE). On that note, as a beginner, running 4 events max, you wont have to worry much about tires, even one new set a year is over conservative.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:50 PM
NoMatter
Short Lived
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 753 Likes on 384 Posts

I miss the days running two or three sessions on one tank, maybe two sets of tires all year, brakes lasted several weekends. Felt like you were driving on the edge.

YEAH! Because I was slow.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:57 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOHN
I miss the days running two or three sessions on one tank, maybe two sets of tires all year, brakes lasted several weekends. Felt like you were driving on the edge.

YEAH! Because I was slow.
100% this... I love the threads when people are saying how the cars never get hot, tires last all season and they use 1 set of brake pads... Yeah when you run a corvette at Miata pace, they sure do!
The following 4 users liked this post by UrbanKnight:
Monkey D. Luffy (03-03-2024), NoMatter (03-01-2024), Racer86 (03-06-2024), tommyc6z06 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:07 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Quick context: Besides other brands/models, I've used C6 Z06 and GS, C7 Z51, C7 Z06, and finally I've started driving C8 Z51 at the track since mid last year.

Tire life: One thing I've realized is how much easier C8 platform is on the tires; especially the fronts. On C7 Z06 (Z07), the front tires would barely last 2 days, and rears about twice as long. They would then either be close to, or do cord, depending on track, etc. On the C8 Z51, the tires seem to be lasting at least twice as long so far! I'm sure lower HP is also helping, but I'm starting to think lower front weight must be a big deal since fronts are usually the ones that take the most beating on a car with them doing the steering as well as cornering, and with less load on them on this platform, they seem to be taking less beating.

This year will be my first full season with C8 Z51, and I'm hoping to get more data on tire life, etc. For reference, I've used Hoosier R7s and Nankang CR-S V2s (315 fronts, 325 or 345 rears).
Old 03-04-2024, 03:02 PM
gnx7
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

JB Racing tires in WI is a good place to source take off tires with some useable life in them for probably 1/3 price of new. Most of those are removed after a weekend or two because they a tenth or two slower than new tires.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:48 AM
103FamilyRacing
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I own a competitive time attack race team and we run a C7 Corvette GS. On the low end we spend about 15k a year for a shorter 6 race year, most years we run 10+ events total including 8 races, local and charity events and end up around 20k+ a year.
We run MS100 race gas and Pirelli DHF slicks (scrubs for practice sessions to save money) to put it more into perspective.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:22 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by 103FamilyRacing
I own a competitive time attack race team and we run a C7 Corvette GS. On the low end we spend about 15k a year for a shorter 6 race year, most years we run 10+ events total including 8 races, local and charity events and end up around 20k+ a year.
The meaning of the question as it comes across to me is that the OP is a beginner and is looking to drive on track for four days/events over the summer, wondering which car might be most cost-effective. On street tires in a completely stock C7GS driven at 2/3rds of its potential pace, I bet they get 4 days without having to do much to the car at all.

Originally Posted by Afreeman13
I definitely should have been more detailed in my question. I live in Upstate NY and have a crazy busy schedule so if I could make it to the track, say 4 times over the summer, I would be super happy. At a beginner level, is the cost between these cars, with only about 4 track days a year, a big difference or not drastic enough to be overly concerned with?
With mine, I drove on track using these tires on several occasions. I got rid of the car with these tires on it. Other than the ACR-E this was the cheapest track car I have ever owned.

For those who think it costs more as a beginner as they blast around, fastest in the country in their cars, setting lap records, it's been a minute since they were beginners.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:31 PM
103FamilyRacing
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

For a few track days a year, as a beginner with a stock car they both are gonna be relatively cheap. Both are reliable cars and fun to drive.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:02 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Depends on what you do exactly, racing isn’t paying the bills for me so I try to do it on a budget. Doing time trials in my C6GS I don’t put near as much wear and tear on the car as I’m only running a few laps each session, but I did an average of around 2 events per month last year. A tank of fuel each one, a couple sets of front DBA rotors and rears every other year. A couple sets of front EBC SR11 padlets and I rotate them to them to the rear when they get worn. A set of new tires each year for competing and old ones for practice days when just instructing. So my guess is around $5k/yr, but I don’t like putting pen to paper as afraid my wife might see it.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:47 AM
Chukman
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Afreeman13
Thank you for this detailed reply. I definitley should have been more detailed in my question. I live in Upstate NY and have a crazy busy schedule so if I could make it to the track, say 4 times over the summer, I would be super happy. At a beginner level is the cost between these cars, with only about 4 track days a year, a big difference or not drastic enough to be overly concerned with? Again thank you for your great reply really helped put things into perspective.
There's a wide range of costs described here and like anything, you can spend as much as you want to spend and it depends on what you want out of it. I typically get about 4-6 HPDE days in per year and it's not too expensive to have some fun. I run intermediate class with an '08 base/z51. The same set of tires & brakes should easily cover you for that many days, especially if you're new to it and not very aggressive. Tires will last longer if you're just out there to have fun and not trying to break any records. Brake pads & rotors will depend on how you use them. I'd recommend a more performance pad that can handle the heat. I run Carbotech XP 10's & 8's. Entry fee's are typically around $300-350/day, Plan for 1-2 tanks of gas per day $200-250. Plan for an oil & filter change every couple track days just to keep it fresh, but if you're not driving too hard, you're likely fine running 4 days on the same oil. With just fees & gas it's around $500-$600/day to start, Then you gotta factor in tires - 1 set every 2 years maybe if you only do 4 days per year? Maybe 1 set of good pads & rotors per year? Then figure in oil & filters and other odds and ends. I'd say this is the minimum expense as a HPDE beginner. Hopefully you'll get out there and have some fun. It can be addicting and only costs more as you get faster and raise your goals.
Old 03-16-2024, 01:53 AM
cars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

probably 1k a day. I did approx 15 days this year and if you want to save money, run continental extreme force tires. it last a long time. I run ap front brakes which is 2 pads per set of rotors. the ap pads last about 10 track days and I am on 3rd set. rear pads last about 7 track days, cobalt xr2. 3r tires wear super fast but best street legal tire for time for me. my next 2 events, just track fees is almost $2500 (3 days sebring and 2 days daytona). my track insurance is $700/month. if you add upgrades as part of expense, the cost is woooow lol

Quick Reply: Average yearly cost to track vette.