Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19Stingray in SCCA autocross class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 05:25 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts

I have no interest in pax or anything similar. I run in a class and compare to whoever else is in the same class. Done. I may not always like the SCCA classing system but the two SCCA regions I run in group run groups by class. So all the cars in a class run at the same time. That takes weather out of the equation. I admit that I do look at the raw time list so I get an idea of how I did to everyone else. But it means nothing other than satisfying my curiosity.
The following users liked this post:
l98tpi (02-04-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 05:06 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Any experience w/ Kumho V730? They have good sizes, 255 or 265 front and 305 rear available. And they are about $60-70/tire less than 660s. One of Tire Rack's tests had them doing pretty well against a bunch of others incl A052s. Scroll down to the lap times chart.
Tire Test Results : Testing Extreme Performance Summer Tires on the Track 2022: The Inaugural Tire Rack Track Test
Old 02-08-2024, 09:50 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigStu
Any experience w/ Kumho V730? They have good sizes, 255 or 265 front and 305 rear available. And they are about $60-70/tire less than 660s. One of Tire Rack's tests had them doing pretty well against a bunch of others incl A052s. Scroll down to the lap times chart.
Tire Test Results : Testing Extreme Performance Summer Tires on the Track 2022: The Inaugural Tire Rack Track Test
Andy/GRM have a write up. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...hang-yokohama/

Might be other links in this article. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/
Old 02-12-2024, 12:42 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been told by someone at tire rack to stay away from them. They blister and wear out too fast.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:56 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

I ordered RT660s yesterday. I don't understand tire dealers. 2 yrs ago I went to one local dealer and had no luck getting tires so got them from Tire Rack. Went back to get them mounted and he refused saying he was too busy. So I checked Tire Rack and found another local dealer was on their list and they were happy to do the mounting for me. This time I printed the info from TR and took it to them to see if they could get the tires for me. Figured to help by buying local. 10 minutes of searching his suppliers and he couldn't get them. Back home and on the PC to TR and I had tires on the way. BTW I got the 'order confirmation' email at 407PM and the 'order has shipped' email at 531PM. I have been buying from TR for at least 25 years and I guess I won't be stopping any time soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by CraigStu:
Discount Tire (02-13-2024), l98tpi (02-14-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:06 AM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 274 Posts

Craig, I think you are going to love the RT660s. What sizes did you go with? I am not surprised at all that you could not get them from anyone but TireRack. TireRack has exclusive rights to sell many tires that other dealers cannot even order. It has been this way for years. TireRack is awesome anyway.

FYI - Discount Tires (who owns TireRack now) can also sell you RT660s. Prices will be about the same either way.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 05:16 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

I am going to cram on 265s F and 305s R on stock size American Racing AR924?
Old 02-13-2024, 05:55 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Well this is a new record. As mentioned above, I ordered these tires and got the confirm email at 407PM yesterday. I got an email at 548PM today saying they had been delivered. Sure enough there they are outside my garage door.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:16 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

I am going to cram on 265s F and 305s R on stock size American Racing AR924?
Make sure you find a good installer. Pinching those tires like that makes them a beast to install.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:33 PM
conemark
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

A little late now, but I wanted to provide some feedback from my use running the V730's in B-Street on my C6 Z51:

The V730 certainly does better with a little bit of heat. They are my "mid summer, wow it's hot" tire whether on asphalt or concrete. I ran them last season at Bristol for "Summer Nationals on asphalt, at Brunswick for the inaugural ProSolo on concrete as well as in Lincoln for the start of the ProFinale.

For me, I felt they were an easier tire to drive. The steering response was sharp, and with friendly slip angles working well for me. They run a little narrower than the other 200TW tires, but for this season I will have a set of 255/35R18 and 305/30R19 mounted up for use.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:41 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Rick the tires are a little pinched but looks normal to me. I ran Hoosier A6/A7s 275 on 9s and 315 on 10.5s for a decade on my cobra replica. Way back in the 70s/80s I ran 9" Goodyear slicks on 7x13s on a BMW 2002. The design was called cantilevered sidewalls specifically done to max tire tread on limited wheel widths. The B Street rules allow anything that will fit on the stock wheels and these are only 10mm wider on each side of the tire so I will see how it goes. I feel like I finally have adequate tires. I will also be seeing how the Michelin 4S work out on the street. I know they were great in the summer but am a little concerned in the cold. I can see another set of wheels in the future to mount my Conti DWSs on.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:03 AM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Craig, I ran the 255/35 and 305/30 size for my last three sets of RE71R tires. They looked great on the wheels! After reading the Grassroots Motorsports article where they tested various size tires and found wider was not better, I went back to the 245/40 and 295/35 sizes for my RT660s. They seem to handle great and have just as much grip. And they were super easy to mount compared to the pinched tires.

I think you will be happy with the sizes you chose. My caution was just that mounting those sizes on our narrow wheels was a serious challenge so you need to find a good shop to do the mounting. I do my own mounting and balancing so I have plenty of 1st hand experience with it and those sizes are the hardest tires I have ever mounted. The installer will need to have a tire machine with a helper arm. And it will still be a huge challenge. The sidewalls are just too stiff to manually get the bead down under the wheel lip and the sidewall will need to be pushed in over 2" to do it. And once the tire is on the wheel, the bead will not seat without very high pressures and lots of lube. A safety cage should be used because the pressure will be way over the safe limit printed on the sidewall of the tire. I do not have a safety cage, so I took the wheels about a 100 ft behind my house and used a few long air hoses to stay far away from the danger area. The tire installer is going to hate you!
Old 02-18-2024, 09:56 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

I am lucky that the installer seems to be quite good. I told him I wanted the old Conti DWS tires. Rears were only 4/32 but fronts 6/32. I got them back and I could see that he soaped the beads to get them off the wheels so no chunks missing. To me that is a guy who cares about his work. BTW they charged $35/ tire to mount and balance which is same as 2 years ago so I was pleasantly surprised. Sure wish these guys could get the tires I want so they could make a bit of profit on selling tires too. Until I retired from being an auto tech I did all my own mnt/bal at work w/ current Hunter machines so I know what you mean. I was lucky a little bit because the largest tires I did was the 315/35-17 Hoosiers. Almost glad I have to pay now since doing 30s would be just that much more difficult. What kind of lube are you using? We tried everything we could think of including all the spray cans we had. Finally found that official tire soap in a tub applied w/ a brush was the best. I don't remember what brand though.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:29 AM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Good thing you have an excellent tire shop! Glad to hear they mounted them without causing any problems. $35 seems reasonable.

I use Ru-Glyde tire mounting lube. It is a euro-paste and comes in a gallon pail. It claims to prevent wheel corrosion (unlike normal soaps which are highly alkaline) and it is very slippery. I also use multiple bar clamps as helpers to keep the tire bead where I want as I mount it.

Quick Reply: 19Stingray in SCCA autocross class?