Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness bar instead of a rollbar???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 12:03 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a harness bar in my C6 Z06. Is it a proper roll bar / cage? No. Do I run a HANS device with it? Yes. What's my logic? ANY crash that results in a rollover LIKELY initiated with a pretty hard HIT somewhere. Certainly at Mosport, where I usually run (not a lot of run-off, but certainly plenty of concrete walls within close proximity to the track surface).

In my simpleton opinion, if a crash occurs, the forces of impact are inevitable. And a HANS will help. Basal neck fracture is a real thing. However, despite the countless crashes I've witnessed (in real-time or immediate aftermath), I've yet to see a car on its roof. So I'm rolling the dice, willing to take my chances with the car gods, that in the event of, I'll stay on my feet, and have the (arguably minimal) protection of the harness & HANS. If I'm so unfortunate as to find myself upside down, well, I'll count my lucky stars regardless of cage/bar/nothing.

Also, I only run a 4-pt harness, just to give that one little "hope" of the submarine effect vs. anti-submarine provided by a 5-/6-pt harness. Again, it's maybe un-scientific, but I'm going with it!!

If money were no object, I'd have a dedicated track car and a dedicated street car. But I'm not. So I have a dual-duty car, as many people do. And I'm taking my chances, as many people do .
The following users liked this post:
schaumi (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:02 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I have a harness bar in my C6 Z06. Is it a proper roll bar / cage? No. Do I run a HANS device with it? Yes. What's my logic? ANY crash that results in a rollover LIKELY initiated with a pretty hard HIT somewhere. Certainly at Mosport, where I usually run (not a lot of run-off, but certainly plenty of concrete walls within close proximity to the track surface).

In my simpleton opinion, if a crash occurs, the forces of impact are inevitable. And a HANS will help. Basal neck fracture is a real thing. However, despite the countless crashes I've witnessed (in real-time or immediate aftermath), I've yet to see a car on its roof. So I'm rolling the dice, willing to take my chances with the car gods, that in the event of, I'll stay on my feet, and have the (arguably minimal) protection of the harness & HANS. If I'm so unfortunate as to find myself upside down, well, I'll count my lucky stars regardless of cage/bar/nothing.

Also, I only run a 4-pt harness, just to give that one little "hope" of the submarine effect vs. anti-submarine provided by a 5-/6-pt harness. Again, it's maybe un-scientific, but I'm going with it!!

If money were no object, I'd have a dedicated track car and a dedicated street car. But I'm not. So I have a dual-duty car, as many people do. And I'm taking my chances, as many people do .
couple things. Containment is everything. It started with harnesses, the nascar bars, full containment seat. When harnesses went from stretchy nylon to no stretch polyester the basilar skull fracture increased…the next weak link. In came the wright device a bunch of straps, issac device a piston damper, R3 straps on a turtle shell, and the HANS the gold standard of head neck restraint.

the 4 pt. Is a poor compromise in any car when a 6pt. Parachute setup can be done if a 4pt can be done. The only 4pt that should be considered is the asm anti submarine schroth 4pt. You can use a Hans with 4pt asm but in a crash the reason it is asm is because a flap of extra webbing that rips open on crash converting the 4 to a de facto 3pt.. with 3 pt there is almost no basilar skull fracture. 3pt has the least containment and lowest protection level. Oem 3pt systems are survivable to around 50g or 45mph delta. Race safety systems are much more capable with pro crashes with data prove with proper construction 100g plus is survivable. I think for those going dual use the goal would be to improve containment within the compromise of street car a difficult task.

Check out what I have written for yourself. It has been a while since I have explored this subject. I would also not right off the rollover. You have yet to see a car on roof. Well, I’ve been on my roof hit by a damn Porsche in a club race. I hate Porsches! That’s why I was #88 for a long time since 88 upside down reads 88. I’ve also been taken out used as brakes twice. That’s why I’m on my second c5z racecar ,#88 RIP. Take the safety gear seriously. It’s not if it’s when. Race long enough your number comes up. It’s part of the sport.

The following 3 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
Cap'n Pete (12-19-2023), Jstyle007 (12-19-2023), SocalC5Z (12-22-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 08:11 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

This is a longer watch but so so worth it - it covers all of the stuff that’s been brought up

there are great discussions and points as they pull up different crash videos as well as proper sled crash tests and go frame by frame showing what is happening.

4-point belts are discussed (definitely run a 5- or even better a 6-point!) as well as rollovers in street cars on track, etc.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:21 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 698 Likes on 445 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

great video...seen it before. thanks for sharing

Just thought I'd add to the discussion, a couple pics of a C6Z that had a mild rollover at WGI, about 14yrs ago (I was not a Corvette owner back then, but had my eyes on one). Think this happened in T6 laces of the boot, into the guardrail. There was an instructor on board. Not sure, what happened, but think it was brake fade and novice may not have been astute to enough back off as his pedal was getting longer and longer earlier...

I recall they were both ok...(instructor's right hand crushed) and had their feathers ruffled quite a bit. Understandable!

Anyway, just thought I'd add a couple thoughts, personal experiences to all this...I've been at all this a pretty long time (50 yrs now) and know how difficult it is to configure a dual purpose street car to have all the track orientated safety gear...especially with the speed potential these cars have (just had a student with 4pt in his Viper last summer)

I come from driving a fully caged race car (containment seat, nets, HANS, 6pt belts, fire sys, etc, etc)... multi race/season winning Champcar, WRL, etc etc,
While in the actual race car with all safety stuff, I've had a few pretty high speed crashes into walls over the years (most memorable; tagged in T12 Road Atlanta, T2 Mosport, and lost wheel at 120mph Pitt Race), I never ever felt unsafe or gave any of that a thought whatsoever.

But, I started feeling quite vulnerable in my own old 'project' street car / hopped up 88 MK1 MR2 (2500lb w/350whp turning 2:08s at WGI).
The car had a simple roll hoop, race seats, 6pt belts, HANS, full race suit, hand held extinguisher. That's it. I'd been very lucky with it a long time...one fire extinguished by me hopping out with the 5lb bottle, a few minor offs, failures, but no actual contact in HPDE and T/T...and I was pushing that car pretty hard.
About 10yrs ago, I hit fluid on the front straight at WGI, just as I leaned into brakes for T1 (120mph in that car?). nIt snapped right, facing pit wall! I instinctively locked up brakes (nice, AP all round)...and flat spotted my 4 new Hoosiers as the car went slideways...just just barely short of the pit wall. At that speed, in that old car, I'd have been toast. no frontal protection. No doubt.

Anyway sold that labor of love project car, and retired from W2W racing right after, at 66 then (still had the speed, but not the focus, or stamina for that grueling stuff)...and so bought my 08 Z06 with the intention of nice road-trip street car, but also few 'easy' track days (I'm not dead yet!)...and kept repeating "not a race car" mantra!
But, as many have discovered, the car disappoints 'out of the box', and this immediately started a seemingly endless series of addressing shortcomings; cooling, brake cooling, reliability, and of course remaining snugly ensconced in the Barcalounger seat.
With these cars, hitting 150mph is not difficult and frankly, short of full blown caged gutted safety equipment, there's also going to be considerable risk factor and nothing will make me feel as comfortable as in that race car. Its just the way it is. The question is, just how far do we go, and take it away from comfy street config....

And all this makes me muse, how if the same thing (hitting fluid while braking for T1 at WGI in my MR2) would happen at WGI now, in my comparatively modern' C6 Z06 (hey! it has crush zones and airbags!), the ABS would prevent me from being able to 'lock' the brakes up and the car would surely smash into the pit wall....and its going faster there than my old MR2 was.

Anyhow, done rambling...but I think everyone needs to assess what their accepted risk factor is
mfain (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 10:30 AM
Jstyle007
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
great video...seen it before. thanks for sharing

Just thought I'd add to the discussion, a couple pics of a C6Z that had a mild rollover at WGI, about 14yrs ago (I was not a Corvette owner back then, but had my eyes on one). Think this happened in T6 laces of the boot, into the guardrail. There was an instructor on board. Not sure, what happened, but think it was brake fade and novice may not have been astute to enough back off as his pedal was getting longer and longer earlier...

I recall they were both ok...(instructor's right hand crushed) and had their feathers ruffled quite a bit. Understandable!

Anyway, just thought I'd add a couple thoughts, personal experiences to all this...I've been at all this a pretty long time (50 yrs now) and know how difficult it is to configure a dual purpose street car to have all the track orientated safety gear...especially with the speed potential these cars have (just had a student with 4pt in his Viper last summer)

I come from driving a fully caged race car (containment seat, nets, HANS, 6pt belts, fire sys, etc, etc)... multi race/season winning Champcar, WRL, etc etc,
While in the actual race car with all safety stuff, I've had a few pretty high speed crashes into walls over the years (most memorable; tagged in T12 Road Atlanta, T2 Mosport, and lost wheel at 120mph Pitt Race), I never ever felt unsafe or gave any of that a thought whatsoever.

But, I started feeling quite vulnerable in my own old 'project' street car / hopped up 88 MK1 MR2 (2500lb w/350whp turning 2:08s at WGI).
The car had a simple roll hoop, race seats, 6pt belts, HANS, full race suit, hand held extinguisher. That's it. I'd been very lucky with it a long time...one fire extinguished by me hopping out with the 5lb bottle, a few minor offs, failures, but no actual contact in HPDE and T/T...and I was pushing that car pretty hard.
About 10yrs ago, I hit fluid on the front straight at WGI, just as I leaned into brakes for T1 (120mph in that car?). nIt snapped right, facing pit wall! I instinctively locked up brakes (nice, AP all round)...and flat spotted my 4 new Hoosiers as the car went slideways...just just barely short of the pit wall. At that speed, in that old car, I'd have been toast. no frontal protection. No doubt.

Anyway sold that labor of love project car, and retired from W2W racing right after, at 66 then (still had the speed, but not the focus, or stamina for that grueling stuff)...and so bought my 08 Z06 with the intention of nice road-trip street car, but also few 'easy' track days (I'm not dead yet!)...and kept repeating "not a race car" mantra!
But, as many have discovered, the car disappoints 'out of the box', and this immediately started a seemingly endless series of addressing shortcomings; cooling, brake cooling, reliability, and of course remaining snugly ensconced in the Barcalounger seat.
With these cars, hitting 150mph is not difficult and frankly, short of full blown caged gutted safety equipment, there's also going to be considerable risk factor and nothing will make me feel as comfortable as in that race car. Its just the way it is. The question is, just how far do we go, and take it away from comfy street config....

And all this makes me muse, how if the same thing (hitting fluid while braking for T1 at WGI in my MR2) would happen at WGI now, in my comparatively modern' C6 Z06 (hey! it has crush zones and airbags!), the ABS would prevent me from being able to 'lock' the brakes up and the car would surely smash into the pit wall....and its going faster there than my old MR2 was.

Anyhow, done rambling...but I think everyone needs to assess what their accepted risk factor is
I appreciate your input.

Hitting the wall at T12 at RA sounds like a worse nightmart situation. I think every time I came down that hill it took every piece of me to not look at the wall in t12.
tommyc6z06 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:03 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
ld that labor of love project car, and retired from W2W racing right after, at 66 then (still had the speed, but not the focus, or stamina for that grueling stuff)...and so bought my 08 Z06 with the intention of nice road-trip street car, but also few 'easy' track days (I'm not dead yet!)...and kept repeating "not a race car" mantra!
is
On many similar pages the answer is always "miata."
Old 12-22-2023, 01:30 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
real fun cars! Had one (99). Even raced two (Ecotec & V6). But, most definitely not the answer for me, nor am i looking for alternatives at this point and that wouldn't be on my list. Thanks

Old 12-22-2023, 04:18 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 884 Likes on 400 Posts

tommyc6z06, excellent food for thought in your article above. The speed and capability of new cars like the C7/8Z and ZR1s make the possibility of an eventual catastrophic even on track more likely. Like you, I have been tracking for over 50 years, and for the last 7 years have tracked a Viper ACR on slicks with just a six-point harness and a helmet. I just started tracking my C8Z with the same configuration. I have, over the years, had two major head-on impacts with interesting and conflicting results. One was in a 66 Corvette head-on into a concrete wall at fairly high speed. The car was a crush zone. My only injuries were bruises from the seat belt and a cut elbow from the center console being pushed back into me by the engine. The second was taking on the inside retaining wall at the Bull Ring in Las Vegas in a Super Late Model stock car at a recorded 108 mph. The harness (or my neck) stretched far enough I hit my helmet on the roof and the back support of the seat tore loose (bad construction). The front clip folded up pretty good and absorbed a lot of impact. I only got a mild concussion and a retina detached in one eye. In both cases, I feel most fortunate for two things - no sustained fire and no cockpit intrusion. I have a NASA spec-Focus (tall Miata) and I count on the cage for rollover protection. It has a high center of gravity and I have had it on two wheels more than once. I also have a very high-power dedicated track car under construction that is built old school - very substantial, multi-point cage designed for maximum chassis rigidity at the expense of crush zones. Full containment seat with nets on both sides, 7-point harness, and HANS. It has great protection against impact (especially side), but would be brutal in a highspeed front impact. At my age with the ACR and C8Z, I am kind-of in the "pay your dime, take your chances" mode. However, I would encourage younger drivers with more to lose and a longer future ahead of them to consider advanced safety features IF your mindset starts to stray away from HPDE to FTD.

Last edited by mfain; 12-22-2023 at 04:26 PM.
tommyc6z06 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 10:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstyle007
Again I totally understand it’s about comfort and holding you in the seat but if you roll the car with just a harness bar the roof will crumple and your head and neck are held in place and you will likely die. I was just at VIR earlier this year and someone dropped fluid and my friend rolled her Clubsport. She is a de4 driver but a very very non aggressive de4 driver.

I just feel like for a couple hundred more the juice is worth the squeeze. Or lack of squeeze when the car is no longer shiny side up.
The C5-C8 cars have a strong roof brace that is part of the B pillars and right behind the occupant's head. With the C5-C7 adding a roll bar is iffy. To provide any support it can't be fastened to the top of the crossbar located behind the seats. That bar is basically sheet metal and is strong horizontally but not vertically. If the force on the car is sufficient to collapse the stock roof brace it will push the roll bar down through the panel. To work in those cars the front supports of the roll bar have to be welded to the frame just behind the seats while the rear supports are welded to the frame in the cargo area. Not sure what they can do with the C8. Here is a picture of a C6Z that I watched climb the T6 tire wall and the catch fence at the Glen several years ago. When it finally stopped riding up the fence it hung there for a minute and then dropped straight down onto its roof. Notice the roof brace held up well but the A-pillar on the passenger side didn't.

The instructor riding in the car said when the car roof hit the ground he felt his body going down (belts stretching) and the roof coming up and pushing his head forward and up. As far as I am concerned if you need a rollbar you need to consider a cage as the rollbar won't do any more than the stock roof brace to protect you. My student and I had ringside seats to this incident as we were about 100 ft behind the car when it rode up the fence. It was amazing since when it stopped moving forward it looked for a brief instance that it was gong to be stuck sideways on the fence about 5 ft above the ground.

Over the years I have attended several BMW driving schools and have attended several safety sessions put on by Joe Marko of HMS Motorsports. He has some videos of what happens in rollovers and most of the time the roof doesn't collapse but one of his videos shows what happens when you are in a car with stock belts and a rollover. The belts stretch because of the G forces involved and the occupant's heads come out of the windows and contact the ground. To protect yourself you need a roll cage, a seat that holds you in place, a belt system that holds you in the seat, a window net and an inside net between the driver seat and the dash to protect the driver from that side.

Given that most driving schools rarely have rollovers where is it better to spend your safety dollars?

Bill

Old 12-26-2023, 04:08 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,028 Posts

As many have already covered, it's a very hard task to really prep a C8 for pro racing, and anything less might compromise safety as well, while providing improvements.

Unless you can go all the way in, I think it's best to utilize car's own safety mechanisms as much as possible. In my case, I picked OEM competition seat for my build, and only added a harness bar (that actually supports the dome ring), and Schroth 4 point Profi II ASM racing harness, which comes with a double-stitched inner shoulder belt that pops open during an accident, letting you crumble down like what would happen with the OEM belts, mitigating that risk of becoming a 'pillar' to support the roof if the car ever flips... This allows you to use a 4 point harness safely along with an OEM seat that's not designed to work with a 6 point.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:35 AM
mfain
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The C5-C8 cars have a strong roof brace that is part of the B pillars and right behind the occupant's head. ..... Notice the roof brace held up well but the A-pillar on the passenger side didn't.

Bill
Agree with your assessment. Here is an observation from the photos you posted. The C6Z is a little different than the C7/8 in that its fairly substantial roof panel is bolted between the A and B pillars with 10 bolts.
Notice that it does not appear the roof structure separated from either pillar. Also notice that the rear hatch glass is shoved rearward an inch or so. This indicates that the A-pillar collapsing probably pushed the roof panel structure rearward and bent the B-pillar. The B-pillar has some strength in the vertical plane by design, protecting the occupants from a "simple" rollover like the one pictured. I would hate to experience a violent rollover that involved a lot of forward velocity that stressed the B-pillar in other than a vertical (downward) manner.

Old 12-26-2023, 02:37 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

here's another pic, from a more rearward angle. But, i did not actually witness the crash (re above). It occurred in a student run group.
I'm not sure what there is to learn from all this other than risk/reward must be weighed...

there was another, quite different crash the following year...in T10...into the inside wall. Very fast, tweaked car. Experienced driver, was ruffled up and sore but fortunately not seriously hurt. I think it had race seats and harness bar. Not sure if he was wearing a HANS, or if the car still had airbags.
I think that back then, track-out was still a kind of alligator type edging, then pea gravel. I don't remember when they changed it.
I recall he mentioned that car started skittering over the track out berm and he ended up rotating counterclockwise almost 180* and hitting the inside. Thats a very fast turn, even if it scrubbed off a lot of speed. I was first car there after the crash, but didn't actually see it happen.
Since then, track out has been updated with a smooth wide berm, and plenty of paved runoff (guess that it had caused more than a few issues, hauling cars out during races).
I was relieved he was ok, but, just thought this was interesting with regards to crashworthiness of the passenger compartment.
That car was brought back in 2 pcs. Sobering for sure...and good reminder that nobody wins a track day (a good reason why at my ripe old boomer age, i no longer use a laptimer...I just don't care, and know that it encourages me to push harder)

Old 12-26-2023, 03:06 PM
mfain
Drifting

Just for grins, I'll go to an extreme example that goes beyond our road course expectations. When you are doing 280+ and are belly up to the direction of travel, nose down and 40' in the air, you are about to have an appreciation for a well built cage that is about to endure the ultimate test. Driver/owner survived.

tommyc6z06 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 12:08 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Disagree!

Quick Reply: Harness bar instead of a rollbar???