Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what c5 to build into dedicated track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 02:59 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Hardtops are the best, I can feel the difference on track vs a coupe and the hardtops are a lot more fun to drive on the edge. For the brakes, all C5 calipers are the same and great for the street but they aren't strong enough for the track. The caliper will start to bow out from running track pads.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 374 Likes on 310 Posts

Dedicated track car for hpde? SCCA class? My first thought would be to buy a spec corvette already built.

There are some C4's still running and going to the Holly hp / dominator sequential makes a cool old school engine, I think!

The following users liked this post:
C5 Hardtop (07-08-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 04:14 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If he's going to gut the car and start from the frame up why not buy a an older GT-1 car and just go thru it. You'd have a safe stiff chassis, you can build whatever motor you want to suit your desires, and you don't have to spend a lot of money for parts you aren't going to use. It seems to me that if you're going to gut a car and start all over you can get a decent GT-1 car that isn't competitive and it isn't going to be as much work as starting with a stock car that you've got to remake from the ground up.

There's a GT-1 C7 Corvette on Racing Junk right now including a nice enclosed trailer, with spares and a ton of extras for $65k. And there's a professionally built C6 for the same price. By the time you built a C5 from the ground up you'd likely spend a lot more than that.

GT1 / TA 1 CORVETTE RACE TEAM PACKAGE W/TRAILER for Sale in Jupiter, FL | RacingJunk

Old 07-09-2023, 07:22 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
If he's going to gut the car and start from the frame up why not buy a an older GT-1 car and just go thru it. You'd have a safe stiff chassis, you can build whatever motor you want to suit your desires, and you don't have to spend a lot of money for parts you aren't going to use. It seems to me that if you're going to gut a car and start all over you can get a decent GT-1 car that isn't competitive and it isn't going to be as much work as starting with a stock car that you've got to remake from the ground up.

There's a GT-1 C7 Corvette on Racing Junk right now including a nice enclosed trailer, with spares and a ton of extras for $65k. And there's a professionally built C6 for the same price. By the time you built a C5 from the ground up you'd likely spend a lot more than that.

GT1 / TA 1 CORVETTE RACE TEAM PACKAGE W/TRAILER for Sale in Jupiter, FL | RacingJunk
While those cars are bad ***, thats just not something I am looking at even remotely.

I do 99% HPDE stuff simply due to my work schedule. Rules at HPDE, even if solo certified, are GENERALLY you have to have a passenger seat for an instructor. NOW the groups I run with, if you know them well, signed off solo advanced, etc... allow stuff like the Rush and Radical type cars that dont have a passenger seat... I know some of the radicals "technically" have a passenger seat but you better be small to sit in it.

So that means, for me, a full up "race car" like what you posted, is out. Again, I think they are cool and if I had a place I could run one at, I would be more interested, but I am not a member at any of the tracks around us to be able to run a car like that at member days. There are a few times a year that "open lapping" opportunities present themselves, but they are like north of 1k bucks a day which is generally outside of my track day budget.

Im looking at building a "basically" stock driveline car but with a cage, suspension, brakes, and aero. Just to have fun with... gotta win the HPDE trophy right...

Quick Reply: what c5 to build into dedicated track car