Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150K LS6 winter refresh, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 02:42 PM
Ellis Schwapp
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 150K LS6 winter refresh, what would you do?

I have a 150k mile 2002 z06 as a track day / HDPE car. The season is over and I've got 4 months on my hands. The engine is stock and after suffering a broken valve spring a few months ago I decided I might want to do some preventative maintenance since I've been beating on it pretty good. I replaced the valve springs and valve seals and have good compression (200-205 PSI on all cylinders) and it runs strong but I probably ought to pull the heads and check on things.

I haven't done anything else to the engine besides improved racing oil pan baffles and a catch can set up.

It's long overdue for a water pump. I think it's original, probably everything is. What else would you do for reliability at the track? Timing chain / set?, oil pump, crank damper?

If I pull the heads, any recommendation for where to send them? New lifters I imagine?

Dare I swap the cam "while I'm in there?" It makes 354 hp to the wheels right now, but I wouldn't say no to a little more.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:29 AM
GCZ
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were me: C5R chain, chain damper, harmonic balancer, trunion bearings.

I don't think the oil pump really wears out (gerator), but they're inexpensive if you want to do it while you've got the cover off. Consider porting it and putting in a small shim.

Long may she run!

​​
The following 2 users liked this post by GCZ:
Ellis Schwapp (11-14-2022), Kubs (11-15-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 07:02 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

if you are pulling the engine, I'd put fresh bearings in. If you are just servicing in place, I agree with GCZ. 125/150 thousandths oil pump shim is very easy upgrade....literally just a washer that fits in the cap
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:31 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,768 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

With the many miles I would be tempted to pull it and do bearings anyway. If you have the time and budget to go over it, new rings, bearings, hone the cylinder walls, timing chain, balancer, shim the oil pump.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:11 PM
hamburgerman
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I would not hone unless the block needs it you'll likely loose power.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Ellis Schwapp
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hamburgerman
that's one reason why I was asking for opinions, not losing power per se (although that is
) but just making things worse by messing with it. Trying to balance preventative maintenance vs "ain't broke don't fix it!"

The busted valve spring was a close call and something I should have dealt with proactively - those springs were yellow which I gather likely means original - in retrospect probably ill advised to be tracking a 20 year old 150k mile car for the past three years on original valve springs.

I also have a bad habit of doing things piecemeal and having to do it over again. Partly ignorance, partly being a cheap-skate. I've probably had my rear suspension apart 4 times in the past year, once for hubs, once for tie rod ends, then for balljoints and bushings, and then again to put in X-tracker hubs because I already trashed the standard SKFs. Probably should have just done it right once the first time. So if it's a good idea to do the timing chain @ 150k, I'd like to know what else makes sense to do at the same time. I haven't messed with engines all that much but I'm confident I could do a lot of what is being suggested so far. Pulling an engine would be a first for me and replacing bearings seems a little daunting, but if the consensus it should be done I've got all winter to figure it out. This car isn't a show piece by any means and it's not my daily, just so long as I get it back together by next season!

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 11-16-2022, 08:28 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,768 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by hamburgerman
My only concern would be a tapered wall with that amount of mileage.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

With the heads off, it's pretty easy to check the bores....
Old 11-16-2022, 06:57 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

do not send the heads to advanced induction in north carolina.

Get notified of new replies

To 150K LS6 winter refresh, what would you do?

Quick Reply: 150K LS6 winter refresh, what would you do?