Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual road racing steering rack for c5/c6

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 11:04 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Manual road racing steering rack for c5/c6

I'm building a mid engine car using the C6 front and rear cradles.

Anyone changed to a manual steering rack?

I found this one but it doesn't have a good ratio for road racing.
https://www.lpracing.net/product-pag...g-rack-adaptor

Want to use the electric steering from https://epowersteering.com/purchase/.../universal-kit.

I know that I can de-power the stock steering rack but I didn't want to do that.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:43 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Flaming River makes racks in all different ratios?

Have you seen the Porsche cup car Electro Hydraulic unit? Its an Electric pump attached to a PS reservoir. YOu can mount it any where and just plumb the PS lines from your rack to the unit. Apparently pretty easy to set up and I think the resistance or "feel" can be adjusted with a **** to your liking. I have not looked into it in detail but I also think I read that similar systems are available fom some late model cars used on Ebay etc.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:53 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Erik L
I think Flaming River makes racks in all different ratios?

Have you seen the Porsche cup car Electro Hydraulic unit? Its an Electric pump attached to a PS reservoir. YOu can mount it any where and just plumb the PS lines from your rack to the unit. Apparently pretty easy to set up and I think the resistance or "feel" can be adjusted with a **** to your liking. I have not looked into it in detail but I also think I read that similar systems are available fom some late model cars used on Ebay etc.
Flaming River makes one 'Road Race' rack, https://www.flamingriver.com/fr40040...ack-and-pinion, but I need someone to make it work. I asked LP Racing if they would do it with their setup but haven't heard back.

I'll checkout the porsche unit.

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:42 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Why not use a sweet Dual Power Rack & Pinions (sweetmanufacturing.com). Your already doing a custom build why use a factory style rack.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:37 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
Why not use a sweet Dual Power Rack & Pinions (sweetmanufacturing.com). Your already doing a custom build why use a factory style rack.
The problem is finding someone to do a custom build.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:14 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by winstonc
The problem is finding someone to do a custom build.

Thanks.
Seeing your using corvette crossmembers and suspension? You could have Louis at Gspeed design and weld the sweet mount to the front cossmember.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:52 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
Seeing your using corvette crossmembers and suspension? You could have Louis at Gspeed design and weld the sweet mount to the front cossmember.
Awesome!

Thank you!
Old 09-13-2022, 06:56 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow I had no idea there is an entire world of custom PS ...amazing.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:09 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 303 Posts

EPS is an amazing new thing for race cars, kit cars etc. I come from the Factory Five cobra replica world and there are several guys who have adapted standard systems to their FFR. There is one that is basically a cylinder 4-5 inches OD and 8-10 inches long which you put into the middle of the steering column. Just a pure assist to make rotating a shaft easier. The one thing I would be most concerned about is what is the feel like. There were a LOT of standard cars that came out w/ 1st gen EPS and the road testers comments were that the feel was terrible. When I got my 19 Stingray one thing I really enjoy is the steering feel. So much better than many. My wife's 15 Mustang GT has EPS and it is pretty good. But when I drive it I notice that, compared to the Stingray, it is heavier at parking lot speeds and there are times I can feel it changing assist level at a certain speed.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual road racing steering rack for c5/c6

Quick Reply: Manual road racing steering rack for c5/c6