Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 04:50 PM
E46Pittsburgh
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Power steering cooler

I need to get my rack rebuilt, and may need to cut off the pipes to the rack as they're frozen in place and may need a socket to remove them rather than a flare nut wrench. The one from the pump to the rack is easily replaced but the exit pipe goes to my Z06 cooler (2003 Z06). At this point, i'm contemplating upgrading the cooler.
Anyone have any good ideas for kits for this? May also bite the bullet for a TurnOne pump at the same time so that I don't need to look at the system again.
The car is 99% track use.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:34 PM
TimbrSS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I used a Setrab 113. that's really all I could fit with my setup.

The following users liked this post:
Kubs (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:56 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On my car I used a "frame rail" transmission cooler with AN -6 connections. I believe it's either perma cool brand or derale. Very similar in construction to the factory cooler, but a bit longer for my particular part number. In my case I simply wanted more room in front of the engine which is why I replaced the factory cooler with a longer one and installed it in the radiator shroud.
Pump upgrade is a good idea.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:18 AM
EZ Glider
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I was upgrading the radiator, I got one with the engine oil cooler and used if for the Power Steering instead. I put in the Improved Engine Oil cooler in for the engine oil. Worked really well as the proximity of the PS lines and the In/out of the radiator are very close.
The following users liked this post:
Hatepylons (09-10-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:13 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i have the same setup on the c6zo6 and always wondered why it has been done like that. did you experience high temps of the ps fluid? did you measure it? i want to measure ps temp and wonder what the best way would be.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:17 PM
E46Pittsburgh
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
i have the same setup on the c6zo6 and always wondered why it has been done like that. did you experience high temps of the ps fluid? did you measure it? i want to measure ps temp and wonder what the best way would be.
TurnOne said to measure the reservoir temperatures after a track session.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:24 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i should have said logg instead of measure. i would like to find out how much castor really matters. can anyone recommend a well working sensor, maybe even wireless to install in the cap?
Old 05-26-2022, 10:20 AM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I put a giant Setrab 619 in place of the stock PS cooler on my C6GS while I had the power steering apart for a new pump last month. The 6 series Setrab is the perfect width to easily land mounts on the stock cooler mounting bolts.

I never got stock cooler temps, but in talks with GSpeed, they put a similar cooler (not sure what size, but I know they have a kit using a Setrab cooler of some sort) on their cars and have seen significant temp drops.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering cooler

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler