Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Tall for C7Z - Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 08:46 PM
DD4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too Tall for C7Z - Seat Question

I've been following the threads on here in order to find a way to stuff my tall frame into my C7Z. Mark Petronis has been a big help and when I thought I had a plan figured out I drove 6 hours to go sit in a seat only to find that my shoulders were above the top of the harness holes, Drat! I presume it's frowned upon to modify the harness pass-thru's in any fashion?

The seat in question was a Sparco QRT-L and unfortunately the store I visited didn't have any other brands to try out. Being in Las Vegas, I'd be willing to drive to LA or PHX if I could find a good selection of seats to plop my tall *** into and purchase. Any suggestions for retailers in the Southwest?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-20-2022, 08:11 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

aluminum seat on the floor. No composite seat will ever give enough headroom, and I'm only 5'10"

The following users liked this post:
NVR2L8 (05-05-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:46 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed. All the composite seats are thick. Not only do they raise the seat up from the floor because of it, but they are wider which make them hard to install in an already narrow opening in regards to the corvette. When I upgraded the seat in my car I went with the kirkey deluxe road race seat. For some reason they no longer produce that model, but it was an excellent non-containment seat for road race use as well as for a dual purpose car.
Just to add here, prior to installing the kirkey in my street car I had only used aluminum seats in dedicated race cars. I tried to install both a cobra and then a sparco in my car. Both were garbage quality. I returned both and actually went to the retailer and checked out several others all with the same problem. The issue is that the seat sides were not parallel and the holes with the inserts, for mounting, were not even close to square. When I bolted up the seat rails one rail was further forward than the other and the front of the rails came out wider than the rears. Totally unacceptable to me. Keep in mind the hardbar rails I used had oversize holes in them to allow for some misalignment and the seats were just too far off to compensate. Never will I consider one of those seats again. I can't imagine how they even offer some piece of crap like that for sale.
That all being said, I did speak with racetech (not available locally at the time) and they guaranteed their seats to be accurate and not have any of the issues I ran into with the cobra and sparco offerings. If I were to use a composite seat racetech is the only brand I would consider.
Keep in mind ALL seats should have a seat back brace if used with race harnesses. Many, if not all, of the composite seats are FIA approved without a seat back brace. Unless the shoulder belts were to attach directly to the seat they can be dangerous simply because a seat without a back brace will move independently of the roll cage in a severe accident and it will be possible for the driver to slip out from under the shoulder belts.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:06 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DD4me
I've been following the threads on here in order to find a way to stuff my tall frame into my C7Z. Mark Petronis has been a big help and when I thought I had a plan figured out I drove 6 hours to go sit in a seat only to find that my shoulders were above the top of the harness holes, Drat! I presume it's frowned upon to modify the harness pass-thru's in any fashion?

The seat in question was a Sparco QRT-L and unfortunately the store I visited didn't have any other brands to try out. Being in Las Vegas, I'd be willing to drive to LA or PHX if I could find a good selection of seats to plop my tall *** into and purchase. Any suggestions for retailers in the Southwest?

Thanks,
Dan
I am 6'5" and I have a 2019 C7Z. I have installed 18" Kirky Intermediate Road Race Seats on sliders, using a BK Harness Bar. They barely fit in the seat well, and I have a little over 1" headroom with my helmet on. I also use the I/O Port Seatback Brace to allow for the seat to be moved forward. My seating position is completely back, but the fit is perfect for me.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:10 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I ended up just sitting in other people's cars when I was looking for a seat as it seems no one keeps much in stock - ended up with a Sparco Evo II. Ditch the sliders and you can gain headroom with a fiberglass seat. You can gain even more headroom if you pull the bottom cushion for the times you wear a helmet.
NVR2L8 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 05:16 PM
blckss
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm 6'4" with the low AMT mounts and a Sparco QRT-K seat (kevlar and carbon seats are basically the same, unsure if they are thinner than a QRT) My issue is that my head will hit more on the door/edge of the roof area (think top left side of your helmet), not necessarily the roof. This is not ideal as it "kinks" your head over towards the center of the cabin.

Like others have posted, unless you go with a full race seat / aluminum no padding, I doubt you're gonna fit comfortably with a helmet.
The following 2 users liked this post by blckss:
KnightmareLS1 (05-31-2022), NVR2L8 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 09:22 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
I am 6'5" and I have a 2019 C7Z. I have installed 18" Kirky Intermediate Road Race Seats on sliders, using a BK Harness Bar. They barely fit in the seat well, and I have a little over 1" headroom with my helmet on. I also use the I/O Port Seatback Brace to allow for the seat to be moved forward. My seating position is completely back, but the fit is perfect for me.

Can you post pics of your setup? CUrious to see it
Old 05-11-2022, 01:51 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Can you post pics of your setup? CUrious to see it
Here you go:

Old 05-11-2022, 08:43 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

That's a beautiful setup.
and looks like you can go back to stock rather easily.
NVR2L8 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:49 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

Have you pulled the leather off the seat bottom? You may be able to thin down the foam pad and get some extra room.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:17 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Grid-Q in AMT mounts. I'm 6 feet and 200 pounds and don't hit my head anywhere and easy to get in and out. The position in the picture isn't even all the way down and the cushion not removed. I've since lowered it another 3/4 on the back portion and it sits on the carpet. I guess a major factor is where the majority of your height is, legs or torso. My dad is 6.2 and he also doesn't hit anywhere.
KnightmareLS1 (05-31-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Too Tall for C7Z - Seat Question

Quick Reply: Too Tall for C7Z - Seat Question