Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sim Racing Software

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 04:28 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Sim Racing Software

I am new to this and looking to start playing around with this on a PC. Would like to have something that is decent sim quality (not Xbox kid game) and I am thinking only basic equipment, folding seat, logitech wheel, but have an old oculus laying around unused.

Have seen some interesting stuff on youtube about Automobilista. Looks like they have good Corvette representation, including C3 versions. Of course I want to drive all the Corvettes.

Would this be an OK software to start out with, or is there something better for Corvette nut jobs?
Old 09-03-2021, 04:32 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,413 Likes on 1,025 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

iRacing if you want something most realistic.

Assetto Corsa is also realistic, even if it may be more of a simcade. It can be difficult.

I have never played Automobilista, I tend to stick with Gran Turismo.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:22 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts

I have no idea if IRacing has Vettes or not but during covid last summer IRacing replaced real Nascar races and I think some IndyCar races also. Maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the drivers were the real Nascar drivers. I read somewhere that the California Nascar track was starting to plan a redo. Nascar got w/ IRacing and used them to check out potential new configurations. So, if you want realistic, that is where I'd be looking. BTW a bunch of the Nascar guys had pro race rigs. A real seat, three screens, etc. The guy who won several of the races was not a Nascar driver and did his racing w/ a typical desktop rig.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:12 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I racing is a big deal, but I want to start out with something less and not competing with other people at first. Here are a few links from you tube about the software and also one on using oculus vs a nice monitor system.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:15 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

More details about what the software sim is capable of

Comparing VR to using monitors

Old 09-04-2021, 01:28 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

I got back into sim racing last spring after many years away, and I'm mostly using Assetto Corsa. There are a ton of cars and tracks out there for free, which keeps things interesting. Out of the box, it includes a C7R that feels surprisingly close to my (moderately modified) C5, which was a nice surprise. I mostly just do practice laps on my own. The few W2W races I've entered have been fun, though.

I'm told that iRacing is better for W2W racing, mostly because the points system keeps random idiots from interfering with serious racers. But, if you know someone who runs a private server for Assetto Corsa, that can also work out well.

I just like to use the leader boards to give me an idea of what times to shoot for, and then run the same car and course solo. I have a ways to go before I'll be competitive, but in the meantime I'm learning and I'm enjoying the practice.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:27 AM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like the Automobilista C3 stuff is really new and older versions of the software were not that popular. I may just start out with r factor because it has good tracks and the C8 R.

Get notified of new replies

To Sim Racing Software

Quick Reply: Sim Racing Software