Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coated rims for DD/AX/some track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Al.B
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Powder Coated rims for DD/AX/some track?

New Z06 with stock chrome rims. Not a fan of chrome. I'm interested in powder coating but wonder if it will hold up in Ax/track conditions. Anyone run powder coated wheels on track without issues? Have not found a definitive answer reading through the forums.

Last edited by Al.B; 07-22-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:03 PM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have black powder coat C5z speedline, typically mount/dismount tires twice a year; and I installed them onto the car once per month and store them when they are not used.
6 years passed with a lot of aggressive brake pad dust, no problem
Old 07-22-2021, 06:08 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I've run powder coating wheels on other cars without issues, however, the heating process can weaken the wheels. If you have chrome wheels then they are already plated, so I expect the process to remove that and replace would not be a good idea for wheel strength.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:00 AM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I have multiple sets of powdercoated wheels. Powdercoat holds up fine on track with the heat and everything.

BUT ... I also picked up a set of OEM C6 GS wheels from a friend that were chrome from the factory and he had powdercoated black. The finish on those wheels is absolutely trash (it was already peeling before I bought them, so I knew what I was in for). Painting/Powdercoating over chrome is very difficult to get right. Nothing sticks well to chrome, and the chrome finish is extremely hard to remove. Unless you find a really good shop that has experience with removing chrome, I would just spend my money on some different wheels that were powdercoated from the factory.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:13 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

OEM wheels are crap, many reports of cracked wheels, and several law suits against GM. I have powder coated CCW wheels, and they are great! FWIW, don't spend good money after bad.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:01 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
OEM wheels are crap, many reports of cracked wheels, and several law suits against GM. I have powder coated CCW wheels, and they are great! FWIW, don't spend good money after bad.
YOUR OEM wheels are crap lol. C5Z OEM Speedlines have been regarded as the best bang for the buck for weight and durability. But a good mount of aftermarket offerings are popping up making them fall behind.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coated rims for DD/AX/some track?

Quick Reply: Powder Coated rims for DD/AX/some track?