Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 on trailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 09:56 AM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I like tieing to the tie-down points on the frame. Letting the car bounce on the trailer completely unrestrained isn't a good idea for trailer control. The trailer has a suspension and with the car bouncing, you can get a harmonic resonance between the two. The tie-down straps don't completely restrain the car but they help dissipate the bouncing quicker. As for the straps stretching while on the road they don't stretch any more tied to the frame than they do to the suspension or the wheels.

Bill
I leave my car in gear and parking break on, so the straps are not getting a work out. Merely prevents the car from moving around if there is a big bump or tilt. I tow a 22 foot enclosed with a very short wheel base SUV. I do not use sway control and the car is stable at 75mph with me tying the wheels down. When I had an open I towed at 80-85mph.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:27 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
I leave my car in gear and parking break on, so the straps are not getting a work out. Merely prevents the car from moving around if there is a big bump or tilt. I tow a 22 foot enclosed with a very short wheel base SUV. I do not use sway control and the car is stable at 75mph with me tying the wheels down. When I had an open I towed at 80-85mph.
The times I have used straps around or through the wheels did not allow a straight shot to the trailer tie down point. The front bumper or deflector got in the way. Of course, this could mar the contact with car and/or possibly chafe the strap. Also the straps would become loose with car shifting back and forth in the slack. Not a good idea to put strap through the lowest point on wheel since a trailer bounce could let wheel rotate under the tension and result in a great deal of slack. Have you figured out a way to eliminate these negatives?
Old 05-30-2021, 11:30 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

I use the tie down points on the frame. I also crisscross the straps. I have trailered my 15 z06 back and forth to the track for the last 5 years and have had no issues. I have 7ft ramps for my trailer and had to get a set of race ramps so I don’t scrape the front splitter. Make sure your trailer is wide enough, mine is 82in and is still snug.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:43 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Basil2000
I use the tie down points on the frame. I also crisscross the straps. I have trailered my 15 z06 back and forth to the track for the last 5 years and have had no issues. I have 7ft ramps for my trailer and had to get a set of race ramps so I don’t scrape the front splitter. Make sure your trailer is wide enough, mine is 82in and is still snug.

That's the way I do it, too. Also, I back the rear of the tow vehicle up on ramps to raise the front of the trailer giving less angle for the back of the trailer/ramps. And, too, I don't have to worry about my C5 rolling on through the front of the enclosed while winching in.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:18 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I only leave the car on hand-brake, but not on gear. I remember reading from a forum member that the rocking back and forth on transport has damaged their transmission...
Old 05-30-2021, 03:29 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW, I use the permanently installed jacking pucks from ACS, and the tie down brackets from ZL1 Add Ons:

Trailer tie downs for C7 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 AM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
The times I have used straps around or through the wheels did not allow a straight shot to the trailer tie down point. The front bumper or deflector got in the way. Of course, this could mar the contact with car and/or possibly chafe the strap. Also the straps would become loose with car shifting back and forth in the slack. Not a good idea to put strap through the lowest point on wheel since a trailer bounce could let wheel rotate under the tension and result in a great deal of slack. Have you figured out a way to eliminate these negatives?
I have the spats that are in front of the front wheels removed. But when I did have them on they touched the strap. However there were no marks on the straps and I never had the wheels rotate. I mean the car would have to be almost airborne to get almost all the weight off to be able to rotate a set of sticky tires. I don't know how strong you are but I can only get the straps so tight. Also technically you only need to have one end of the car tied down. I used to use a uHaul trailer and they only have a single side tie down system. Car never budged.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:35 PM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have seen the straps get a little loose from transport when using wheel straps. I tend to go down the road, hit the brakes a bit and go re-tighten. That said they are not that loose...just a click away from being tight again.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
I have the spats that are in front of the front wheels removed. But when I did have them on they touched the strap. However there were no marks on the straps and I never had the wheels rotate. I mean the car would have to be almost airborne to get almost all the weight off to be able to rotate a set of sticky tires. I don't know how strong you are but I can only get the straps so tight. Also technically you only need to have one end of the car tied down. I used to use a uHaul trailer and they only have a single side tie down system. Car never budged.
I guess that is a little different. When strapping cargo for hauling in ocean waters or even the gulf you tie it down as though it were going through a hurricane even if only going to next port. When I ride my bikes I dress for the accident, not the leisure sunny flip-flop, short pants, no helmet kind of ride. When I put cargo in my truck I place it against the very front of the bed in case I have to come to a sudden stop. Personally, I would never only strap one end or one side of a vehicle for transport. That just has ugly possibilities written all over it.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:52 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Personally I prefer tying the cars down through the wheels over the T/J Hooks. Both are good at tying the car down, but it is easier to reach with the tire method. I also put the parking break on and criss-cross the rear tie downs to keep the car from shifting sideways. I have never ever left a car in neutral, Always in park or in first gear depending on the transmission. Unless you are going 4-wheeling when the trailer is loaded there should never be that much pressure on the car it self to cause an issue.

Last edited by Bajaholic; 06-01-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:43 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the issue is more vibration than pressure. If the car keeps getting rocked, it might bang on the gear. Anyway, it never happened to me, but I also stopped leaving it at the gear after hearing about it..
The following users liked this post:
SouthernSon (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:30 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

E-brake on for me and I take it out of gear.

I also cross the rear but that is because the tie-down points would have so little strap if I went straight, so I think it just depends on your particular setup. I would honestly rather cross the front end and go straight to the the wheels on the back but my trailer/straps wont allow it.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:00 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't imagine leaving it in 1st gear would damage anything. If you're worried about trans damage, leave it in Reverse.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:48 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The possible detriment to leaving in gear is the minute rocking back and forth creating a wear pattern between the same teeth as it makes the trip. There is no fresh lubrication being applied to the teeth. The constant wear at contact point is soon devoid of lube and there is constant metal to metal contact, back and forth. That is the theory anyway. I personally don't want to test it. I tow out of gear. If the straps are not enough to hold the car you might need better straps. I wouldn't depend upon the gear engaged to hold it.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:54 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

When GM ships cars from point A to point B, do you think they are in neutral ? I know they ship with little fuel as possible, but that is it.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:37 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know how GM ships the cars, but they do it ONCE. I tow my car dozens of times a year, and need to be mindful of any accumulated wear. The e-brake is much more secure than the traditional hand brake, and is always at same tightness due to its design. You can trust it much more than a hand brake..

Quick Reply: C7 on trailer ?