Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCE update w/Wilwood Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:16 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Default TCE update w/Wilwood Brakes

Greetings Everyone!

Been away from the forums for a bit but not away from helping many Forum readers with their Big Brake Kit needs this past (Covid) season!

Just wanted to let new (and old) Forum readers that TCE tries its best to be your Go-To for all your Wilwood needs. From complete kits, to pads, to service parts and master cylinders. *To keep costs low most kits are shipped directly from the Wilwood warehouse. Our pad prices include USPS Priority Mail and are competitive with others in the market. I personally want to thank those readers and past customers for keeping the TCE name active the past few month as well as their continued purchase support. It's been a challenging time and I appreciate your support.

C5 and C6 Owners:
There was some discussion about the loss of Wilwood Polymatrix H compound pads. Yes it's true and not simply a rumor. H compound pads are no longer available for the 6617 or Aero pad plate. There are some options yet for 7420 and 7416 users but in time they too will be eliminated. The 'new' pads for all Race kits and suggested is the (revised) BP-30 compound. I personally have no experience with this compound however it's report the 30s are the equal or better than the H pads. That said TCE has a good quantity of 6617 H pads in stock now for those who want to stock up before they are no longer available.

NEW, NEW, NEW..... For C4 owners:
One build we did not too long ago for a customer was what TCE is calling the C46 Front Caliper kit! For owners running 18" wheels on '88-'96 spindles we've combined the 14" C6 Z06 front rotor with the ultra popular Aero6 caliper. You get the proven street and track performance of this huge package; but back dated to C4 fitment requirements. Simple, attractive and extremely effective! All for $1329 including ground UPS.

INCLUDED WITH EACH KIT
BLACK or RED Aero6 Calipers
BP10 or 20 Pads
SS hose kit
TCE brackets with ARP studs
Mount hardware and centering shims
*Rotors not included

As always; TCE knows there are other Wilwood suppliers out there and we may not always have the absolute lowest price, but when it comes to product knowledge, options, or just plain old "how to get it done" hands on experience with Wilwood Brakes we've got your back! Check out the web page for all your Corvette needs as well as our page XXX Customs for those of you with 'alternative' vehicles who need help with their Big Brake needs!

Happy Holidays to all.
Todd Cook
Owner
TCE Performance Products LLC

The following 4 users liked this post by Todd TCE:
crimlwC6 (12-08-2020), DaOtherOne (12-08-2020), IndyMikeC6 (06-17-2021), Sox-Fan (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:30 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

anything for C7 (front brake kit for Z51 disks)

Last edited by ErnieN85; 12-09-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:19 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

When I asked them about ten months ago, Wilwood customer support told me in specific terms that they recommend the BP-30 over the H and, for me as a relative novice, BP-30 over BP-40 as well. I guess that was an early warning.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:22 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
anything for C7 (front brake kit for Z51 disks)

Was not intentionally omitting the C7 Ernie, but 'no' the kits for the C7 are limited to 14-15" complete Big Brake Kits. Nothing on the radar for the 'caliper kit' format like that of the C5/6.

Be happy to discuss doing a custom Caliper Kit for you however understand that you'll be much closer to the price I can offer you some of the complete kits. Normally a set of hats/rotors will run about $900 but doing the caliper kit alone will be close to $130-1400 making rotors included a better value. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss it if you wish.

Here's the list of ALL kits for the C7: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...on=Grand+Sport
Old 12-09-2020, 09:30 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

And BTW we can get you into the discussed budget Race kit for under $1600. Plus ss lines and applicable UPS fees. Direct from the warehouse.

*For those who can't follow all the options, which can be almost everyone including me at times....the 'budget' kit is derived from the base 20mm pad Areo6 fit with SS pistons (not Thermlocks) and uses the fixe mount (bolted) hats and rotors rather the the full floaters of the higher priced kit.

I believe many are referring to this as the Spec Corvette kit. *I have seen some new four pot versions also so if I'm wrong for your Club just hit me up and we'll figure it out! Too many options....!

Last edited by Todd TCE; 12-10-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Todd, do you sell the "Spec" corvette setup? Or is that only through other vendors? Alternatively, I may be interested in something for my Trailblazer SS.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:16 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Todd, do you sell the "Spec" corvette setup? Or is that only through other vendors? Alternatively, I may be interested in something for my Trailblazer SS.

Should be this kit here: https://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch?q=14557 and referenced above.

I refer to it as the 'budget race kit' on my pages. ie. no full floaters and no thermlocks.

It's been on my C5/6 pages along with the standard rear kits for some time. The all inclusive, to the door, price of $1737.

*The Trailblazer builds are more 'one-off' so figure a couple of weeks on those. Thanks for noting it!

Last edited by Todd TCE; 12-10-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Appreciate the info! I'll be in touch about the truck for sure.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:22 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Appreciate the info! I'll be in touch about the truck for sure.

In case anybody is wondering....shameless self promotion as it may be! lol

15" Aero6 front kit. About $2300 today.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:47 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Have you seen the new 14 and 15" Wilwood kits for the C5, C6 and C7 ??

Wilwood has combined the new SX6R caliper with full floating rotors for Maximum street performance and visual impact!

The SX6R is a whopping 14" tall end to end and is one of the first to incorporate a more universal standard D1792 pad. This pad combined with the body of the SX6R is a bit wider than that of the Aero6 so buyers are encouraged to check the required wheel clearance.

Available with both GT slotted only or optional Drilled and Slotted rotors the kit is fit with Wilwood's exclusive Dynamic Lug Drive full floating hats. Unlike many 'pin' drive kits, the Lug Drive not only allow expansion but greater surface contact for longer life and more durability. The good news: these high tech hats and rotor come to you FULLY assembled and ready to install. No need for assembly, Loctite or Safety-wire; off with the old, on with the new!

* Kits are available for all C5, C6 and C7 front (only) applications.
* Hose kits are platform specific as well as brackets.
* 14" kits require 18" or larger wheels, 15" kits require 19" or larger wheels.
* Customer to verify wheel clearance requirements based on the platform

C5 Kits:
14" complete kit
15" complete kit

C6 Kits:
14" complete kits
15" complete kits

C7 Kits:
14" complete kits
15" complete kits

>>>TCE is offering substantial discount pricing on these new SRX6 kits. Please pm or email the shop for a quote.
>>>And of course if that's not what you're after TCE offers the entire line of kits for you car which to date include nearly a Dozen options from direct replacement calipers for C5 and C6 up to Carbon Ceramic kit options!

Last edited by Todd TCE; 12-18-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:42 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Wilwood and TCE update:

Things are dragging....if you have product on order now please be patient. Production, assembly, the warehouse....they're all running far behind. This is due in part to Covid issues, materials and supplies as well as a labor shortage at times. Even down machinery is taking effect on production of you caliper. Here in my shop the trickle down has gotten to me now with Powder Coat, plating, sublet machine work....it's a mess. But a Good Mess to have as the industry remains on fire. Last year was a banner year for most in the automotive aftermarket. Who'd have thunk? Yep; lots of time on your hands we have guys finishing that build, prepping the race car for a return to the track and frankly just buying things they'd put off for months! I don't think it will last much more than the end of this year as production catches up with demand but overall I think I can speak for all of us when I say "thank you" for the business!

Expect your orders to be quoted 6-8wks and probably split ship. Meaning you may get rotors on day and calipers could be three weeks behind that. "Gee Todd, can't they just ship it all when it's ready?" Yeah in my shop that could possibly happen. Not in a warehouse that ships truck loads of parts daily, there's simply no room to "set aside" your items (and the other 2500 peoples) order to wait. You are likely to get split ship deliveries for this reason.

Pads- Most if not all Wilwood race kits are now coming with BP30 pads. I personally have not run them as gravel doesn't produce the needs. But..I have a number of customers who are quite pleased with them. If however you are a die hard Poly H pad user know that supplies remain limited and TCE has some of the last 6617 pads for the Areolite and W series caliper in stock. Once they are gone that's the end of them.

Caliper kits- TCE continues to sell a lot of the popular Areo6/FNSL4 caliper kit combos. These are probably the most popular kits on the market for BBK buyers who don't want to break the bank. You can still get this fantastic combo for under $1800. For C6 Z06 users we still offer the parts and or service to convert the rear kit to accept your 13.4" rear rotor. Pleas call and ask on that one.

New kits- Some time ago Wilwood released the new 14 and 15" SX6R kits. This kit uses the new six pot caliper that is one of the largest bodies on the market today at 14" tall making it look fantastic on 14 and 15" rotors! These us the popular D1792 pad available from many suppliers. Right now the only down side to this monster is the cost. Even at the TCE discounted price it remains about $1200 more than the Aerolite kits. That could change maybe in the future?

Custom work- The shop has been buried in custom builds for over a year. From early Caddy work to Scouts, to a Delmot custom! Even a Jag project got some TCE love. Follow along on the TCE Instagram page for updates as I have time. Got a project that needs something you can't find now? Give me a call and let's take a look. Generally you'll find TCE custom work will be about 35% more than Wilwood list price of similar product. Try my best to give customers a good value but one offs are clearly far different than mass produced builds.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:59 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

So I already have the Aero 6 on my c5 with the upgraded c6 z51 rotor. If I wanted to upgrade to the type 3 ano and brackets so I can run the 20mm pad and thermlock pistons is that available?
Old 06-15-2021, 03:59 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chetly
So I already have the Aero 6 on my c5 with the upgraded c6 z51 rotor. If I wanted to upgrade to the type 3 ano and brackets so I can run the 20mm pad and thermlock pistons is that available?

Two part answer, neither of that what you want to hear.

1. There's no "upgrade" to the Type III ano. You already have that, it's under the chosen powder coat color. All bodies go through this process before color.

2. Moving to the 20mm pad Aero6 can only be done by way of a new bracket. The current 'mount offset' of the caliper is 1.82" and the wide body is 1.95....so....to do this you'd need not only the new calipers and pads but to take the brackets you have now to a machine shop and have them mill down .130" off the current threaded portion. I don't think that's a good plan. While I don't haver a bracket in hand I suspect you'd be taking at least 25% of of the threads away. The only other real (rather out there) option would be to flip the bracket to the inboard side of the knuckle and see what shakes out. I don't know. Reference something now and mark it. Then flip things over and see if the centerline of the stud moved inboard about 1/8". Could be close, dunno. Lastly you may well need wheel spacers now with that change as the outer body is also wider due to the thicker pad. It also will need 1/8" more room. So if you don't have that to the back of the wheel now; boom, spacer needed.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

"upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder. The thermlock piston and thick pads are what I'm after, so it works for me. Cant I purchase the brake bracket separately along with the calipers? That would allow me to sell current calipers and brackets as set and recoup some of my money. I have plenty of room behind the wheel for the caliper.

Last edited by chetly; 06-16-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:28 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chetly
"upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder. The thermlock piston and thick pads are what I'm after, so it works for me. Cant I purchase the brake bracket separately along with the calipers? That would allow me to sell current calipers and brackets as set and recoup some of my money. I have plenty of room behind the wheel for the caliper.
The standard caliper can be fit with thermlock pistons- they're the same piston. And the standard caliper can be had in ano. The only thing different about the caliper in question is that it's not machined "down" to fit the 17mm pad but rather is full body width for the 20mm pad.

Be more than happy to set you up with any combo of the parts you'd like. Be priced out as you spec it is all. Get me the bracket part number you want and I'll see what I can do for you. Please know that the cost of the current Caliper Kit is a bit under a grand- shipped. The cost of do what you want is going to be much closer to $1800 shipped.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:10 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

CLOSE OUT ON 6617 POLY H PADS
As you may know the very popular Wilwood Polymatrix H compound pad is on a short leash. Many configurations have been exhausted. TCE purchased a large qty of the H compound for the Aerolite / W series caliper when the word got out that they were going away. Currently the shop has about 24 boxes of 6617 H compound pads left in stock.

I've droppped the price today to $189- to the door USPS (US) for these last boxes. If you are a die hard user of the H compound over the years you know the popularity this compound has had for a looooong time. Stock up before they are gone for good! If you're new to this pad and run the popular Aero6 on the front (or Aero4 rear) and want a proven winner for the track with long life and predictable response the H pad is a worthy option.

The 6617 H compound is available now until exhausted for $189 to the door. HERE

Last edited by Todd TCE; 09-01-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To TCE update w/Wilwood Brakes

Quick Reply: TCE update w/Wilwood Brakes