Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 05:45 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Operations
This is my experience
The lighter the helmet the lower the lap time. If you give it serious thought it will make since,
This came from one of the professional driving coach's we had hired, he still drives for Audi I think, or Aston Martin I forget which we had several Pro's in working with us, anyway we came off a session and of course there were a dozen things he could have focused on what I need to work on, like brake deeper, etc. But no, the first thing he told me was, Mike, you need a different helmet, yours is heavy, your head is bobbing all around in the turns, your spending to much energy trying to keep your head where it belongs. He pointed to his helmet (Stilo) you need something light like this. I went out in the paddock to the Simson trailer I purchased a Stilo carbon fiber, total shock, the next session night and day improvement, now I was not magickly a pro driver but I no longer had my mental and physicals energy drained away because of this extra weight.
Not everyone would see the improvement that I did, yet some might see more.
-Operations
Good points

Below is a video from this weekend. I was just playing around with GoPro locations so the sound is just wind noise. I'm posting since you can see how much my head bounces around in a few areas. For context, I'm in a full containment seat with a HANS, and a 6-point harness. Looking forward to getting rid of the concrete block on my head. The delta cost of $800 for the carbon fiber helmet I ordered works out to $80/year. Money well spent for less fatigue and more comfort IMO

Last edited by 96GS#007; 12-09-2020 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TRAKOUT (02-14-2021)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

You are never wasting money by upgrading your helmet! I've got the Stilo ST5 Composite and I do not REGRET it for a minute! I had the Bell Star Infusion prior to this one. A world of difference / comfort / performance. On the next go-round I'll be upgrading to the Carbon model. Best bet is try different helmets on though - and to also see what your needs are (ear muffs, active ear muffs, water system, forced air system, radio kit, etc <----can always be added). I was fitted at the PRI Show by one of the Stilo factory engineers from Italy. A note for eye safety: I see a lot of folks with their visors full open - some with glasses, some without...I've been hit in the face (cheek area) with a track turd with the visor open, fortunately, with glasses on...my visor is now CLOSED...you can lose an eye...or worse! If you have to crack it, just barely crack it - many helmets have this setting. Your safety tip for today...

The following 2 users liked this post by Captain Buddha:
C6WNC (12-12-2020), TRAKOUT (02-14-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 10:27 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Good points

Below is a video from this weekend. I was just playing around with GoPro locations so the sound is just wind noise. I'm posting since you can see how much my head bounces around in a few areas. For context, I'm in a full containment seat with a HANS, and a 6-point harness. Looking forward to getting rid of the concrete block on my head. The delta cost of $800 for the carbon fiber helmet I ordered works out to $80/year. Money well spent for less fatigue and more comfort IMO

https://youtu.be/_LpBPQwygRg
Interestingly I've got almost the exact same set up as you....OMP HTE-R seat, six point harness and Hans device. Coming out of turn 3A at Sonoma, my head was literally oscillating back and forth between the seats halo until I braked for turn 4 with my standard Bell M8 helmet. Now with the slightly lighter carbon version of the M8, I get one left/right oscillation and that's it. I realized that my head was going back and forth a lot with my old helmet, but didn't think it was effecting me.....until I went to the lighter helmet and realized that I was much less fatigued after a track session.
I bought the carbon version because my old Bell timed out and I figured that the lighter carbon version would be safer for my neck if I was involved in an accident....I never thought the minimal weight difference would be felt just doing a track session. I wish I had switched years ago.

Captain Buddha is right, track turds can be dangerous if you're eyes are not protected....I've been hit a couple of times on the left side of my helmet. IMO the car that produces the most and largest tire turds is the Corvette C7 Z06....on hot days it looked like the tires were literally shaving sections of rubber off that were large and very visible. I'm guessing other heavy, high horsepower cars that have high track consumables like a Camaro ZL1-1LE will provide a lot of sizeable tire turds too.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
You are never wasting money by upgrading your helmet! I've got the Stilo ST5 Composite and I do not REGRET it for a minute!.....
I'll second the Stilo ST5. I've owned a Bell Vortex, a Simpson which were both good helmets but neither were as comfortable as the Stilo. Throw in the ear cups with option speakers & microphone and the air hose attachment and you've got a great head protector.

Feff
The following users liked this post:
Captain Buddha (12-14-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 06:45 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Great info on helmets. I've been out of the game for a number of years and looking to get back in to some racing in 2021. Is everyone using HANS now? Seems like a no brainer to me but don't see many mentions of it in this thread. Advice appreciated and apologies to OP for hijacking thread!
Old 12-12-2020, 09:47 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
Great info on helmets. I've been out of the game for a number of years and looking to get back in to some racing in 2021. Is everyone using HANS now? Seems like a no brainer to me but don't see many mentions of it in this thread. Advice appreciated and apologies to OP for hijacking thread!
I wear a HANS but it certainly varies by run-group. In Time Trials and Advanced, I'd say usage out here is ~50%-60%. It drops off rapidly below that.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:21 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

[QUOTE=blueray16;1602608265]
Originally Posted by cottoneg
I was glad to see guys like blueray16 are still tracking their car at 74. Maybe I may be doing this longer than I thought.

I will actually be 75 when i go back to Watkins Glen next June. But who's counting. Paul Newman is my inspiration.

Summit point and VIR are great tracks and definitely should be experienced at some point. But know that there are closer options as well. NJMP here in New jersey has two tracks available and Pocono Raceway has numerous configurations combining parts of the Nascar oval and infield portions. Can't speak to the driving schools at any of them.

I usually do a spring tuneup at either NJMP or Pocono just to knock out the cobwebs from the long winter and make sure the car is ready for the big one at my favorite: Watkins Glen. Then one last random event before the weather changes, usually in October . Two years ago it was Club Motorsports in New Hampshire which was great fun and also took in the fall leaves while there.
Nothing at all this year due to the Corona virus.

enjoy the addiction
Awesome! My ability to indulge in this passion came later than I wish it had. As a result, I sometimes wonder how many more years I'll get out of it. You, sir, are an inspiration. Best wishes for many years to come.
The following 2 users liked this post by Les:
blueray16 (12-13-2020), Captain Buddha (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:45 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
Best advice I can give you is to try the various options on and see which one you like best. My team mate wears a HANS, I use the Necksgen...it’s all about what *you* like. Either way, if you are wearing a harness setup, you definitely need a head and neck restraint! There are the hybrids that work with out a harness system (meaning that you are in a car with a traditional seatbelt).
Old 12-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm in to the hans, looking at the new Stilo Hans Zero, an example of a restraint tailored to a specific helmet.

Quick Reply: Need a new helmet