Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Best Corvette Track Car Platform to Start With

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Trust me it's hard to say this, just read my username, but I'm TRYING not to worry about power right out of the gate, LOL. That said, I totally see where you're coming from with being slower than a GT3RS in straight line speed.

What's everybody's thoughts on mileage? I don't want to get a cream puff low mileage car because it's just going to get modified/thrashed anyway. But at the same time, buying a car with 50,000+ miles means the wear life on calipers, brake lines, bushings, valves, etc. is already very high, meaning I'll spend more right out of the gate before even taking it to the track getting all of those things done. What else would I need to watch with mileage on say a C6Z?
Old 08-02-2019, 09:09 AM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Honestly your gonna change calipers, rotors, pads, hoses (not lines) valves either way on a C6 Z06. and probably on the others. Just put it in budget up front. 10 year old bushings are SHOT either way, and not really good for track, even if they were new.

I got a 40k mile 2008, since I didnt wanna get one with 80-100, and not one with 5-10.

You can see the porsches PDK getting the edge onto straight at beginning when Im in 2nd, but when I hookup and start pushing 3rd and 4th I close.

Beeing fast in corners, and not on straights, gets old pretty fast. I remember one of my fully race rigged porsche put out 249RWHP due to class limitations, it sucked beeing sooooo fast in corners (2292lbs), and watching everybody pass on straights. The layout of the tracks is of course a factor,The track you see here allows you do do 135mph+ on straight, but also on the backside you can do the same speed, while pulling 1G+ sideways :o

Last edited by andersnor; 08-02-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

My C6Z has less than 13k and I am pretty sure every part has been replaced at least once. Repeated track environment is hard on cars especially as they age. Too easy to just buy a C7GS or C7Z and completely minimize your aggravation level.

If straight line speed is that meaningful then you need a C7Z unless you're willing to go Poorsha's route with a GS. Stock power, same set up and comparably driven a C7Z is always a couple seconds, or more depending on the track, quicker than a C7GS.

I still like the C7GS for a cheap, fun track day car and recommend them to all of my friends who are tired of owning cars that never run for entire events. 4 or 5 have made the switch to the C7GS and everyone so far is extremely happy with that decision.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM
outsideline
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default C5 z06

Not trying to hack your thread but I have a 02 Z06 that I am going to sell that is all set up for Road Course.
Engine,dry sump,coil overs,transmission, radiator, brakes, turnone rack, And much more.
30 hours on professional build forged engine.
It would save someone the time and money I put in it. $28,500.
you can pm me if interested, Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Race Prepared (09-01-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

That's a beautiful car and well worth considering given somebody has already done all the major prep work - saves a lot of heartache and buck$ - GV

Originally Posted by outsideline
Not trying to hack your thread but I have a 02 Z06 that I am going to sell that is all set up for Road Course.
Engine,dry sump,coil overs,transmission, radiator, brakes, turnone rack, And much more.
30 hours on professional build forged engine.
It would save someone the time and money I put in it. $28,500.
you can pm me if interested, Thanks

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Best Corvette Track Car Platform to Start With