Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein DRM

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 08:53 AM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

1/8” toe in on rear. I set it up using the old pfadt alignment chart. Car just felt floaty/springy all around and not settled in the higher speed stuff. As if there was no rebound control. Was not confidence inspiring at all.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:05 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

If you are going to spend money on shocks, do it right. ESPECIALLY if you are running the cars hard. Rebound damping, as you can see, is pretty important, having control over that is a handy thing. I just don't see the wisdom in non adjustable shocks when there are good rebound adjustable options with warranties too, out there. Koni are on sale, I've got them in stock. I can do Ridetech's too. Lifetime and 1,000,001 mile warranties respectively. I have other adjustable damping shocks too, though not generally a fan of twin tubes or low to no gas pressure shocks.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:04 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I can’t say I even considered the koni 3013’s. I had the koni yellows on my integra 15+ years ago and liked them a lot
Old 06-01-2023, 01:14 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Viking double and triple adjustable shock options are nice. I swapped from RT HQ's to Viking triple adj mainly due to the adjustment method on RT was less than ideal and slightly annoying. The Vikings are easy to access and adjust.

I've even witness locals switching from JRi to Vikings.

Yes they are twin tube vs RT or Koni etc, but for local autocross I think you need to be realistic on if a twin vs mono will make THAT much of a difference. For me, it did not and I even saved a little $. I also went from SA to triple adj benefit.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:36 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MX621
I can’t say I even considered the koni 3013’s. I had the koni yellows on my integra 15+ years ago and liked them a lot
And those were twin tube... these are inverted monotube, and proven fast. I used them to win my 2017 Solo Nationals title in my C6Z. And they come with killer bumpstops too. Really nice, progressive ones that don't know you are on. Rebound damping is the major thing. Double and triples, most have no idea what to do with, and Corvettes in particular with aluminum control arms and not exactly massively heavy wheels even stock, don't have a million pounds of unsprung weight to deal with, which is what compression damping does. Too much is in many ways as bas as not enough. And I see cars all. the. time. running way, way too much compression because they can. I've got shock dyno's from all kind of shocks even various OEM and none have anything like a massive amount of compression because it's not needed. Even on my Penske 8300's on both my C6 and C7 I never ran it very high up the range.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:37 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I would also just warn you a lot of people are kind of prone to monkey see, monkey do. And there is a fair bit of glad-handing going on in the marketing side of things. The proof is in the results, most typically outside of smaller ponds.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:01 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by strano@stranoparts.com
I would also just warn you a lot of people are kind of prone to monkey see, monkey do. And there is a fair bit of glad-handing going on in the marketing side of things. The proof is in the results, most typically outside of smaller ponds.
IMO the "technicalities" come in depending on the situation and expectations. National level when every "tenth counts" is different than local or/Goodguys autocross where people are there to be competitive, but also for enjoyment.

So I believe people just need to asses their goals/expectations and compare that to how deep their wallet is. Money saved between Penske and Viking is a GOOD chunk of change toward new tires.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:21 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by strano@stranoparts.com
If you are going to spend money on shocks, do it right. ESPECIALLY if you are running the cars hard. Rebound damping, as you can see, is pretty important, having control over that is a handy thing. I just don't see the wisdom in non adjustable shocks when there are good rebound adjustable options with warranties too, out there. Koni are on sale, I've got them in stock. I can do Ridetech's too. Lifetime and 1,000,001 mile warranties respectively. I have other adjustable damping shocks too, though not generally a fan of twin tubes or low to no gas pressure shocks.
All true, but for NCCC events you can't run adjustable shocks and stay in a stock class....

Quick Reply: Bilstein DRM