Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAPA Rotor explode C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope somebody is alerting Raybestos about these. I'm sure they have some exclusion in their warranty information about race track use but they still need to know about the failures. You guys should at least do an Amazon review and post these pictures to let folks know not to track them.

I am trying to recall what brand rotors I bought for my Mustang last time but I think they were labeled Raybestos. That was back in 2006 and I bought two sets. I still have the spare sets but the boxes got wet and were thrown away. They are just plain rotors. I probably have a dozen or so track days on the set on the car. I remember the boxes said Made in USA and the rotors had Made in Canada cast in them.

I understand you can't find any rotors that are not made in China now. I just bought Centric rotors for my BMW and they were made in China.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM
41zo6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
If you're asking me about the cracks going to the edge of the rim, yes definitely could feel and almost hear it every time the crack passed through the rotor. Very pronounced.
Luckily I've never had a rotor break off the center hub....I'm thinking that there is no warning which is scary.

Apologies.

1) I edited my original post to fix the brutal grammatical errors.
2) no the questions was directed at the two people who had the rotor ring separate from from centre hub area.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

I've been running Advance Auto C5 rotors at the track for years. I buy a fresh set in the Spring and usually warranty them mid season. Never had a catastrophic failure like what's posted here.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 41zo6
Was there any pulsing or vibrations leading up to the failure?
No.
I heard a loud bang and then the abs went crazy. It pulled hard right. Unfortunately I was unable to keep it on the road surface and once off I started to rotate and had no control in the wet grass.

Last edited by Craiger77; 10-20-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Originally Posted by Han Solo
I hope somebody is alerting Raybestos about these. I'm sure they have some exclusion in their warranty information about race track use but they still need to know about the failures. You guys should at least do an Amazon review and post these pictures to let folks know not to track them.

I am trying to recall what brand rotors I bought for my Mustang last time but I think they were labeled Raybestos. That was back in 2006 and I bought two sets. I still have the spare sets but the boxes got wet and were thrown away. They are just plain rotors. I probably have a dozen or so track days on the set on the car. I remember the boxes said Made in USA and the rotors had Made in Canada cast in them.

I understand you can't find any rotors that are not made in China now. I just bought Centric rotors for my BMW and they were made in China.
I absolutely plan to let others know.

I don’t feel I was abusing my brakes. I used the rotors in a manner consistent with how the car is designed to be used. but, I know the manufacturer will say otherwise.

I’m not willing to disclose much right now.
I’m in the process to see what recourse I may have with what I feel was a defective and unsafe product

I posted here because I saw that I was not the only one who experienced this failure in this manner.

Last edited by Craiger77; 10-20-2019 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MURDEREDOUT (10-22-2019)
Old 01-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Originally Posted by Craiger77
I absolutely plan to let others know.

I don’t feel I was abusing my brakes. I used the rotors in a manner consistent with how the car is designed to be used. but, I know the manufacturer will say otherwise.

I’m not willing to disclose much right now.
I’m in the process to see what recourse I may have with what I feel was a defective and unsafe product

I posted here because I saw that I was not the only one who experienced this failure in this manner.
So it’s been sone time since I first alerted all of you of my NAPA rotor failure and I think it’s time and appropriate for an update:

View this post on Instagram
Here is link for you to follow.

But I know some don’t like links so here is quick rundown;
I was at Pocono North course for a Hpde. We did a Warm-up for the first session (a very cold morning) and then we went out for the second session. A few minutes into the second session, the center of the rotor separated from the friction ring.
When the rotor failed I heard a loud crack and the car pulled right very hard. I tried to correct it to stay straight but I was pulled off the surface and the abs was going nuts. It started to spin and once I was in the wet grass - I was just on for the ride. It slid through a chain link fence and I destroyed the quarter and a wheel. Other small parts were damaged all over and most of the paint is damaged

The rotors were brand new, replacements for a another pair I timed out. They only had a bed-in and the first warmup session that morning since, thankfully, I trailered the car that weekend.
After I got it home I found the passenger side rotor had failed in the same hat area but not separated yet.

The rotors are Napa rebranded raybestos, so I didn’t think they were complete junk... I was clearly wrong. I had been communicating with Napa since the failure. I sent all information requested.

I held off on this since then. They are denying any assistance or responsibility.

They fell back onto legal language stating I violated the use and warranty agreement when I operated the car on a track surface.

I’m not going to deny what I was doing while enjoying the car for what it was designed to do. (I mean, there are directions in the owners manual on prepping it for track days.)

Besides, with everyone Youtubing, posting pics, etc. those days are now gone. They’ll find it if they look hard enough.

At this point, I want you to know so you can make appropriate choices.
Clearly mistakes and poor choices were made and hard lessons learned, but I’m sure there might be some of you running these rotors or may think about it in the future.

Good news is the car is being repaired. Some parts have already been located and I’m planning to have it ready by Spring.

Last edited by Craiger77; 01-05-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks for update
Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

NAPA .. UFB ..
Old 01-06-2020, 06:09 PM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to learn of your problem,and no help at all from Napa,thats terrible.
Glad you did post this problem. I was going to order the same rotor from
NAPA,not anymore.
Is there a decent "safe" rotor rto use on a mostly street driven Vette?
Old 01-06-2020, 06:30 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,013 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Another example of "You get what you pay for"
Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Originally Posted by 449er
Another example of "You get what you pay for"
I dont disagree and I could have accepted a rotor that faded easily or even warped and chalked it up to T&E.

But I don’t think it’s too much ask for one that won’t break apart so easily. This was simply picked up at my local NAPA, and any other corvette owner could have, and probably has, unknowingly done the same

Last edited by Craiger77; 01-06-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:20 PM
Budwise
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought the Raybestos version of these for the street. They look nice, will probably be fine for the daily grind. I'll stick with DBA's for track work.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:24 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

GM: When driving your Corvette on a track, take these steps first...
Napa: Yes, we make brake rotors for your Corvette.
(Crunch.)
Napa: No, we never claimed our rotors are good enough for track use.

I'm no lawyer, but if Napa claims that these parts are as good as OEM, then I think you might have a case, because GM clearly feels that OEM parts can handle track days. But, given that the damage is repairable, a lawsuit probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

It's good that you're sharing this publicly. If someone else has a much worse accident as a result of rotor failure, Napa can't claim they weren't aware of their products's shortcomings. And that possibility might even motivate them to improve their product before it's too late.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Originally Posted by NSFW
GM: When driving your Corvette on a track, take these steps first...
Napa: Yes, we make brake rotors for your Corvette.
(Crunch.)
Napa: No, we never claimed our rotors are good enough for track use.

I'm no lawyer, but if Napa claims that these parts are as good as OEM, then I think you might have a case, because GM clearly feels that OEM parts can handle track days. But, given that the damage is repairable, a lawsuit probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

It's good that you're sharing this publicly. If someone else has a much worse accident as a result of rotor failure, Napa can't claim they weren't aware of their products's shortcomings. And that possibility might even motivate them to improve their product before it's too late.
Agreed.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Used to be NAPA had better stuff than PB/Kragen/etc. Not any more.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

That's an infrequent type of failure and if it happened on the same application rotor twice then there looks to be a defect. That section of the 'hat' is curved and thin on purpose to manage/limit heat transfer to the hub and to allow the friction portion of the rotor to float as the rotor heats up. These are design cues mostly learned by Brembo as they are probably the largest actual engineering company to work on stuff like that. While simple - rotors still do have many design features.

The aftermarket foundries who make these parts nowadays will brand/make it to any spec you want with options for material selection, tooling and all sorts of other options with of course varying degree's of quality and what not.

I wanted a track worthy 1 piece disc so I had DBA make them for me KNS Brakes. I addressed as many design issues as I could. We have more than a few years of mostly track use with these and the results speak for themselves. This is the first I have seen this thread - and yes it's somewhat in poor taste to 'sell' where a failure occurred so sorry if that offends.

Ask around - I'm sure you can get feedback on KNS Rotors.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:43 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
That's an infrequent type of failure and if it happened on the same application rotor twice then there looks to be a defect. That section of the 'hat' is curved and thin on purpose to manage/limit heat transfer to the hub and to allow the friction portion of the rotor to float as the rotor heats up. These are design cues mostly learned by Brembo as they are probably the largest actual engineering company to work on stuff like that. While simple - rotors still do have many design features.

The aftermarket foundries who make these parts nowadays will brand/make it to any spec you want with options for material selection, tooling and all sorts of other options with of course varying degree's of quality and what not.

I wanted a track worthy 1 piece disc so I had DBA make them for me KNS Brakes. I addressed as many design issues as I could. We have more than a few years of mostly track use with these and the results speak for themselves. This is the first I have seen this thread - and yes it's somewhat in poor taste to 'sell' where a failure occurred so sorry if that offends.

Ask around - I'm sure you can get feedback on KNS Rotors.
Its all good with me. Regret is a terrible feeling. If I only would have had a KNS rotor to begin with...

Last edited by Craiger77; 01-15-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NAPA Rotor explode C6 Z06

Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM
fore
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man just seeing this. I posted the original failure. Glad you were okay. Sucks NAPA is not taking responsibility.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:28 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder if they’d be liable if the rotor cracked and came apart while in the mountains? You could easily heat these rotors up a lot doing the Tail of the Dragon or any similar road. Very scary thought. I have the OEM replacement NAPA ones, the ones with the cross drilled holes not the wavy slots. No track days but many spirited drives. I do have a set of power stops waiting to go on though.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I think if would be an interesting sticky, especially for track rats if we could do a comprehensive list of brake rotors and components and their country of origin. Just because something is made in China (most common example) doesn't necessarily mean its going to be bad, but many companies market products under a name (Napa Auto, Power Stop, Stop Tech, etc) that may or may not be made off shore and give the impression of USA manufacture. I think a lot of people would be surprised if they researched and found out where their name brand rotors are actually made. When it comes to brake components, I've found the highest quality to be made in either the USA or Europe.

If somebody is going to be doing six or more track days a year in a fast car like a Corvette, in my experience going to a two piece rotor makes a lot of sense to me, especially the fronts.
The following users liked this post:
Craiger77 (02-06-2020)

Quick Reply: NAPA Rotor explode C6 Z06