Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ncm hpde @ vir

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:52 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ncm hpde @ vir

Can anyone here say what the tech inspection for this event consists of? They're making it very difficult for us to get to tech, and we're trying to plan around it.

The NCM's chosen tech location is at a hotel, which means we'll either have to arrive at the hotel parking lot with trucks and trailers, or do tech in the morning, which I detest doing in case of issues. The inspection time Sunday is 2-5pm, and we can't make it into the track to unload our cars until after 5.30pm.

I wonder why they don't just do tech in the shack, the evening before, like every other group.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:04 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DinkyDonut
Can anyone here say what the tech inspection for this event consists of? They're making it very difficult for us to get to tech, and we're trying to plan around it.

The NCM's chosen tech location is at a hotel, which means we'll either have to arrive at the hotel parking lot with trucks and trailers, or do tech in the morning, which I detest doing in case of issues. The inspection time Sunday is 2-5pm, and we can't make it into the track to unload our cars until after 5.30pm.

I wonder why they don't just do tech in the shack, the evening before, like every other group.
They are not like every other group and few, if any, in the 80+ times I've been there do what you're suggesting as I recall. I don't see hot they are making this difficult for anyone and as I recall this is their normal procedure.

The hotel parking lot is big enough for tractor trailers so that is not an issue.

Sounds like your real issue is you don't want to arrive before 5 or do it in the morning. They usually have a limited tech in the morning for the late folks but trying to do it ahead of time serves almost everyone well.

Nothing at all magic or difficult about it really. Should take 5 minutes or less.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:16 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Originally Posted by rbl
They are not like every other group and few, if any, in the 80+ times I've been there do what you're suggesting as I recall. I don't see hot they are making this difficult for anyone and as I recall this is their normal procedure.

The hotel parking lot is big enough for tractor trailers so that is not an issue.

Sounds like your real issue is you don't want to arrive before 5 or do it in the morning. They usually have a limited tech in the morning for the late folks but trying to do it ahead of time serves almost everyone well.

Nothing at all magic or difficult about it really. Should take 5 minutes or less.
Thanks for the reply!

No, I'm fine with arriving early! I'm also more than happy to take trucks and trailers by the hotel!

I was simply led to believe that it wasn't what they wanted -- hence my post here. Apart from that, yes, I very much prefer to do tech the day before, and not the morning of, in case of any potential issues. If we can do it on the way to the track, without unloading the cars, I'll be happy to arrive promptly at 2. If there's enough room to also unload cars, I don't see any potential issues.

As for how groups typically do it, from my perspective, I must disagree with your assessment. VIR is our home track, and we're there as much as possible. We've run with about 7 groups at VIR over the past year -- THSCC, SCCA, SVTCMC, TCUSA, Chin, and so on -- and every single one of them has done tech the evening before, in the tech shack, after the track opens. This is the first time we've been asked to do off-track inspection. Since this is not standard operating procedure, I just want to get it right, without holding anyone up.

So, does NCM want to see the car, or is it a tech sheet and sign-in formality? Again, groups differ. I just want to get it right.

Last edited by DinkyDonut; 06-22-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Are you a student or an instructor? If you are an instructor all you have to do is take your helmet to the tech inspectors and get their approval before you register. The tech inspection does get sort of interesting in front of the Sleep Inn because there is sort of a party atmosphere due to everybody congregating there. What I have noticed at the NCM event Vs local groups is NCM draws more people from outside the area including from West of the Mississippi.

Bill
Old 06-22-2018, 02:39 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are you a student or an instructor? If you are an instructor all you have to do is take your helmet to the tech inspectors and get their approval before you register. The tech inspection does get sort of interesting in front of the Sleep Inn because there is sort of a party atmosphere due to everybody congregating there. What I have noticed at the NCM event Vs local groups is NCM draws more people from outside the area including from West of the Mississippi.

Bill
Hi Bill! Student for this one.

I'm not sure if you remember me, but we met and talked at the THSCC event back in February. I'm still chasing my sub-2, but I'm getting very close now -- I would be there on slicks, but I'm not too sure I want to go that far yet. I'm only doing HPDEs after all, and it isn't a race.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:27 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are arriving from the West,(Danville), Drive just past the Sleep Inn, turn across the median, into the large lot that will then connect to the Sleep in parking lot. The tech crew will be very accommodating. NCM runs a top tier event.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:10 PM
rbl
Drifting

Thanks for the reply!

No, I'm fine with arriving early! I'm also more than happy to take trucks and trailers by the hotel!

I was simply led to believe that it wasn't what they wanted -- hence my post here. Apart from that, yes, I very much prefer to do tech the day before, and not the morning of, in case of any potential issues. If we can do it on the way to the track, without unloading the cars, I'll be happy to arrive promptly at 2. If there's enough room to also unload cars, I don't see any potential issues.

As for how groups typically do it, from my perspective, I must disagree with your assessment. VIR is our home track, and we're there as much as possible. We've run with about 7 groups at VIR over the past year -- THSCC, SCCA, SVTCMC, TCUSA, Chin, and so on -- and every single one of them has done tech the evening before, in the tech shack, after the track opens. This is the first time we've been asked to do off-track inspection. Since this is not standard operating procedure, I just want to get it right, without holding anyone up.

So, does NCM want to see the car, or is it a tech sheet and sign-in formality? Again, groups differ. I just want to get it right.
You won't have any issues with the parking lot ... plenty of room.

I have run with all of those groups but as an instructor so tech was never an issue and my wife always did it the morning before. We did however, go to the track after 5:00 just to set up but never noticed tech going on. It has also been over 5 years since I was there ... VIR was my home track as well -- great facility!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:11 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Originally Posted by ponycar
If you are arriving from the West,(Danville), Drive just past the Sleep Inn, turn across the median, into the large lot that will then connect to the Sleep in parking lot. The tech crew will be very accommodating. NCM runs a top tier event.
That's what we've heard, and that's why we're excited!

Sounds like we have nothing to worry about. Thanks for helping out!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:23 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Originally Posted by rbl
You won't have any issues with the parking lot ... plenty of room.

I have run with all of those groups but as an instructor so tech was never an issue and my wife always did it the morning before. We did however, go to the track after 5:00 just to set up but never noticed tech going on. It has also been over 5 years since I was there ... VIR was my home track as well -- great facility!
Thanks again! I know of about a handful other people, who have had the same questions and concerns as I have had, so I'll be sure to spread the word.

Over the years, VIR is the one track I've spent the most time on -- and that's saying a lot as I pretty much grew up on various tracks in Europe. I'm rather fortunate that my better half has taken to track life as well over the recent couple of years.

If you haven't been to VIR in 5 years, I'd definitely recommend another visit. The repaving and widening did crazy things to the flow. It changed the character of the track somewhat.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:43 PM
rbl
Drifting

Thanks again! I know of about a handful other people, who have had the same questions and concerns as I have had, so I'll be sure to spread the word.

Over the years, VIR is the one track I've spent the most time on -- and that's saying a lot as I pretty much grew up on various tracks in Europe. I'm rather fortunate that my better half has taken to track life as well over the recent couple of years.

If you haven't been to VIR in 5 years, I'd definitely recommend another visit. The repaving and widening did crazy things to the flow. It changed the character of the track somewhat.
I'd like to go but sold my spec racer and the Corvette, moved to Alabama and too damn old now!

We spent so much time there that I bought a double wide in Milton and we could go home for lunch!!. Sold it when we hung up the rotors and made a handsome profit on it in the process. The re-work at VIR looks to be top flight.

Have a great time
Old 06-22-2018, 06:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
I'd like to go but sold my spec racer and the Corvette, moved to Alabama and too damn old now!

We spent so much time there that I bought a double wide in Milton and we could go home for lunch!!. Sold it when we hung up the rotors and made a handsome profit on it in the process. The re-work at VIR looks to be top flight.

Have a great time
What is too old? 80 or 90?

Bill
Old 06-22-2018, 06:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

It’s a brake light and wheel torque tech, many people find the hotel convenient but I too prefer tracksid.

ill be instructing and shooting Drone video. Safe travels

Old 06-23-2018, 10:03 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What is too old? 80 or 90?

Bill
Hahahah ... 72. BUT, the eyes and reflex isn't all that great anymore and the track is just too far now. Was 4 hours when I was in Virginia.

Is Norbert still there all the time?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 95 Posts

They are very accommodating with tech, I’ve done it with vehicles on or in trailers. And as several mentioned it’s quite a party atmosphere and a lot of fun. I know a bit about the event and can vouch for the group that runs it.. I’ll be arriving Sunday after 2 days at Dominion this weekend.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

If anyone here sees a burgundy C6 ZR1 with no.63 on the side, or a dark green C4 ZR-1 with the no.64, please feel free to stop by and say hi!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
It’s a brake light and wheel torque tech, many people find the hotel convenient but I too prefer tracksid.

ill be instructing and shooting Drone video. Safe travels

If I see a drone operator up there, I'll be sure to walk over and say hi!

Originally Posted by rbl
Hahahah ... 72. BUT, the eyes and reflex isn't all that great anymore and the track is just too far now. Was 4 hours when I was in Virginia.

Is Norbert still there all the time?
Yes he is! He's doing the Teen Driving Solutions work again this weekend, and will be instructing Monday and Tuesday as well -- he'll actually be instructing my better half.

Originally Posted by rocsvette
They are very accommodating with tech, I’ve done it with vehicles on or in trailers. And as several mentioned it’s quite a party atmosphere and a lot of fun. I know a bit about the event and can vouch for the group that runs it.. I’ll be arriving Sunday after 2 days at Dominion this weekend.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm no longer too worried about the logistics, and, yes, have heard nothing but good about the group.

Last edited by DinkyDonut; 06-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 95 Posts

Glad to hear Norbert will be there.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Anyone have to cancel? I tried to register before the registration ended and failed, now it is closed. Would pay your cancellation fee. tw78911sc@yahoo.com
Old 06-24-2018, 03:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

have you contacted Matt? Can't imagine they would turn away your money unless it is crazy over-booked!

Get notified of new replies

To Ncm hpde @ vir

Quick Reply: Ncm hpde @ vir