Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil cooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Engine oil cooling

Hi guys. I'm looking to add oil cooling to my 02 Z06 this year. I'm a high end of intermediate to advanced driver and my oil temps are getting way up there...300F easy if I don't pay close attention and give a cool down lap or two sometimes.

I've been looking at stuff from Improved Racing and they seem to have the goods...

But would I be better off to just get a new bigger radiator like Dewitt's with integrated EOC? I could get two birds stoned at once this way and it seems the price is pretty reasonable. I won't have to worry about coolant temps if I ever go with some stupid power adders.

I want to get my oil temps down closer to 230 in sustained track sessions (30 mins, hot southeast USA summertime). What's my best bet? Are the integrated EOC radiators as good or better than a standalone unit? I definitely like not having to fabricate parts to mount a standalone...

Luke
Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 714 Likes on 495 Posts

A separate oil cooler will do a better job of lowering oil temps. Ideally you’d run a large aluminum radiator and a separate oil cooler. I’ve personally not had satisfactory results with the integrated solutions
The following users liked this post:
oharal (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Best bet is to go stand alone. A good combo is the DRM Oil Cooler using an Improved Racing Thermostatic Adapter, then add in the Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffles if you're running slicks and aero. Pair it with a DeWitts or Ron Davis radiator.
oharal (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 322 Posts

Similar discussion with good feedback recently here;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-duty.html
oharal (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Agree with all of the above. Ultimately having stand along coolers will give you more cooling capacity.

I put together my stand alone oil cooler with components from Improved Racing. Used their thermostat adapter block, Setrab 625 cooler, 10 AN braided lines, Raceflux heat sheathing to cover the braided lines, and I fabricated a simple cooler mount from sheet metal.

I documented my install here... (it's a little long, but you can skim to the sections that interest you).

And recently, while I had my engine out for a rebuild, I installed the I.R. oil pan baffles, and also a DeWitts aluminum radiator. I did installation videos for these too on my YT channel that you're welcome to check out if that interests you.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigmackloud:
oharal (04-03-2018), RocketRod (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:43 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

You won't get your oil temps down enough with an integrated cooler. You will have to go with a standalone cooler.

We are actually working on an oil cooler kit for the C5, but it's probably still a couple of months away from being ready.
The following 2 users liked this post by ImprovedRacing:
JHrinsin (04-03-2018), oharal (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Best bet is to go stand alone. A good combo is the DRM Oil Cooler using an Improved Racing Thermostatic Adapter, then add in the Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffles if you're running slicks and aero. Pair it with a DeWitts or Ron Davis radiator.
Both the DeWitts and Ron Davis radiators are excellent all aluminum fabricated units but they can be a bit on the expensive side of things for some folks. There have been those here on the forum that have also reported success running the less expensive ECP fabricated all aluminum radiator #1480A (C5 manual trany)

http://www.speedcooling.com/1997-200...-Radiator.html
RocketRod (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM
oharal
Drifting

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds nearly unanimous that standalone is the only way to go. I also found I can relatively simply mount the cooler behind the front fascia on the metal bumper and give it good air flow through the mesh vent next to the license plate closeout. Next I'll have to somehow arrive at a length of hoses to buy and hope I'm right......
Old 04-03-2018, 03:55 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by oharal
Next I'll have to somehow arrive at a length of hoses to buy and hope I'm right......
I used a section of basic rubber hose (cheap) and test routed how I wanted to run my lines to get an idea of length. It takes more than you think, so definitely buy a little extra.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 PM
oharal
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
I used a section of basic rubber hose (cheap) and test routed how I wanted to run my lines to get an idea of length. It takes more than you think, so definitely buy a little extra.
Ohhh good call. I can probably find a crappy old water hose or something to try with!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

If you can find one in the PDF link in the below (vendor gone), it's one of the best stand alones

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-install.html

dropped temps 30 degrees.........it is in a vulnerable location but ya can't have it all
Old 04-08-2018, 02:33 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5

This is exactly what I did minus the Thermostatic Adapter thingy. I also run a 160 stat. On a hot day at The Glen, beating on it, the highest observed oil temp has been 245*. A single cool down lap drops oil temp to under 200 by the time I hit the pits. Water temp max is about 195, 25% Dexcool and 2 bottles of Water Wetter. I got my radiator from DRM and removed the extra shroud material as suggested in the instructions. Oil cooler is large Setrab, also purchased from DRM; mounts cleanly in front of the A/C (when I had A/C) condenser.

Very early on I went to an Oil Integrated radiator. As soon as I started running sticky tires I was back up to near 300* range. Your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, I also put a smaller Setrab on the power steering, mounted up front with the oil cooler. The reservoir is aluminum and after a session you can keep your finger on it. In addition to the added cooling, you significantly increase the volume of PS fluid. The rack seems to like it as well.

Last edited by kmagvette; 04-08-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine oil cooling

Quick Reply: Engine oil cooling