Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought on the source of this whine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Thought on the source of this whine?

Only happens in 5th and 6th gear when under load. Does not happen when coasting. Doesn't whine when coasting in neutral with clutch in or out. Only happens when car is moving. In video you can hear whine when under load and and then disappearing when coasting. Fluids in trans and differential were changed less than 5000 mi ago with AMSOIL.

Mods are in signature. Trans had Tick Level II done 8 years ago if that matters. Also had giubos repl 9 yrs ago with one being aluminum.

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Because it only happens in 5 or 6 its going to be in the overdrive part of the gear box. If in the diff it should be there regardless of gear. The since 1 through 4 are quiet, its unlikely to be in the main part of box. I would be looking at 5-6 aux shaft bearing or maybe excessive end play since it happens under load.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Diff is losing its hardness and the backlash is opening up from accelerated wear, causing the whining. It will get worse with time.

We have replaced several like this over the years.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the same whine in the diff under load... it hasn’t changed in 3yrs and 35 track days. I assume diff was replaced/serviced and backlash wasn’t set perfectly.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:40 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Diff is losing its hardness and the backlash is opening up from accelerated wear, causing the whining. It will get worse with time.

We have replaced several like this over the years.
It seems to be getting worse by the month. Do you repl the complete differential or just rebuild? Not really familiar with inner workings.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
It seems to be getting worse by the month. Do you repl the complete differential or just rebuild? Not really familiar with inner workings.

You just need to replace the ring and pinion, but given you track the car, getting something like an RPM diff will make your down time non existent and all fresh differential parts will improve the cars handling that many overlook.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Mine did the same thing. It got worse and worse until I couldn't hear someone talking to me from the passenger seat on the highway. I had to replace the entire diff. A thrust washer broke and the pieces went all through the diff and basically ate everything. I got a used diff with the same miles as my car from a part out for $500. It whines a bit too but doesn't seem to have gotten much worse in almost a year and 3 track days. I installed a HPE diff mount with it so I'm betting that it doesn't whine more than a normal one, just the mount transfers more sound to the chassis.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:26 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
You just need to replace the ring and pinion, but given you track the car, getting something like an RPM diff will make your down time non existent and all fresh differential parts will improve the cars handling that many overlook.
Thanks Louis!

That is definitely differential noise. We can do an upgraded differential for you. For a track car I would recommend our Stage 2 build with the carbon clutch upgrade. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 1-800-406-1109.

Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Thought on the source of this whine?

Quick Reply: Thought on the source of this whine?