Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat options for occasional track duty

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:43 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad

This shows where the bolsters will be on the lower version. Once we finish prepping this we will use it for making the mold. I'm far enough along to take pre-orders now so if you're interested email me at mark@marradind.com to discuss cover options (cloth, simulated leather/suede, leather, etc.) and hardware options (oem track brackets, ultra low brackets with sliders for maximum headroom, or fixed aluminum rails). I expect to have shells in November and to be shipping seats starting in December.

The following users liked this post:
Chrisbequick (11-05-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 PM
mikeC62008
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about replacement seat backs with harness holes?
Old 10-13-2020, 03:59 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mikeC62008
what about replacement seat backs with harness holes?
We did receive the base bracket we need to start making frames but getting the seat back release cable and bezel that surrounds it is becoming a problem. Most cars need ebony/black color and they seem to be discontinued. We will either need to have the customer send the cable and bezel to use or try buying other colors while they are available and painting/dyeing them. I hope to have a sample back ready with a cable I have here by the end of the month.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:48 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

I expect the first lower bolster shell to start working on the upholstery next week. Pictures of the new replacement back and bottom cover are below.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:22 PM
mikeC62008
Intermediate

That looks great. What is price ya think?
Old 12-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 12-29-2020, 04:18 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Pricing (per seat) for the custom replacement back with bottom cover will be:

Simulated Leather - $799
Simulated Leather w/ Suede Inserts - $899
Leather - $999
Leather w/ Suede Inserts - $1049

Options:
Contrasting Double Stitching - $50
Install Customer Supplied Seat Back Heater - $30

As I have more info I will update. We can also stitch the C5 standard or C5 sport pattern for the cover. If you have a C5 and like the C6 pattern just buy C6 bottom foam and order a C6 pattern back and bottom cover. You may need to supply the seat back release cable and bezel. We can supply them when available and charge a core charge.
Sox-Fan (12-29-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:29 AM
mikeC62008
Intermediate

Yea but I have a white car and none of those insert colors go with it.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:57 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

We lost our supplier for the welded bottom assembly that matches the oem back during the pandemic. We have an order in with another manufacturer since July but are still waiting on them. We cannot begin to assemble frames, foam them and start upholstery without this part. I should know more in a few weeks.

On another note, we have begun work on a lower bolster version of our ST3 seat for easier entry and exit. It will also be the lowest sitting sliding seat in a C5 - C7, touching the carpet when slid back by the rear floor studs on our hardware. I will make brackets to mount it to the oem C5, C6 tracks as well for those who don't need to gain inches of headroom. You can see a comparison of the bolster heights below. OEM belts could come over the top of the lower bolsters like with the Cobra Nogaro seat.

Here are the first pictures of the lower bolster ST3 seat. I should have a picture in black cloth in a week or two. They will be added to the site soon.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:37 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

I expect the first lower bolster shell to start working on the upholstery next week. Pictures of the new replacement back and bottom cover are below.

Updated pictures with leather suede covers. I will be adding to the site soon. The bottom cover isn't fully installed; pulled over the foam for the picture.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:17 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PKStyles
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my OEM C6 Z06 seat to keep me better planted on the track.

Thus far I'm just doing HPDE's with track pads and Nitto NT01 tires. I don't plan on much for aero, but I'm seeing 3g spikes in corners and I really have to brace my self in braking zones. My car if I clocked hours of use yearly would be 95% street as my car is a daily driver. But I plan on 5-8 track days a year and when I run, I run it hard in advanced group.

I was contemplating a one piece competition seat like a Sparco EVO 2 and a harness but I've read that is only a half measure - that if you go that route, you need to get a HANS and roll cage to make it a complete safety system. I also don't want to be swapping seats before events, swapping tires and pads is enough prep for this guy.

Would I be better off with a more factory looking seat like a Carrivagio or a Sparco Chrono Road and skip the harness all together? Or could you safely run a 5 point harness with a seat like that? I keep reading conflicting things about it, I would love a definitive answer.

Thanks!
Several years back was tracking my ZO6 multiple times a year with stock seats.

After every event would return home with the left side of my left knee bleeding as a result of bracing myself on the driver's door.

And so began looking at seats designed for the track. I finally decided on Caravagios'. At an Autobahn event I encountered a fellow with the exact same seats I was considering. He allowed me to set in them. Discovered the drivers left bottom bolster was a big big impediment to ingress/egress. So much so decided they weren't for me.

Subsequently, discovered a seat insert called Angel Wings that seemed to firmly fix me in the stock seat. However, wasn't able to drive the car with the device in place. Recall the device was about $90/100.

A second point, many of the event sponsors required the passenger seat configuration to be identical to the drivers. And track shoulder belts must run through the seat back.

Cage not required for HPDEs.

The ability to lock your shoulder belt is also helpful.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:57 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't have it both ways..........more aggressive bolsters hold you in place, but are an impediment to ingress/egress. I have a Kirkey Road Race seat and have to enter/exit with my left hand on the rocker panel and lift my left hip over the seat side. It's not as bad as it sounds and the seat holds me firmly in place; now I can concentrate on my driving instead of trying to hold myself in place.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:51 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Couldn't agree more.

But like most every thing else that damn seat bolster is, for me, a comprise. The problem is I'm old and stiff. If you watched me get in/out you'd know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 03-28-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:30 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
Couldn't agree more.

But like most every thing else that damn seat bolster is, for me, a comprise. The problem is I'm old and stiff. If you watched me get in/out you'd know what I'm talking about.
Well, I'm no spring chicken myself.......to help with this issue I got a very stiff piece of foam 4-5 inches thick and place it in my Kirkey Road Race seat when I drive the car on public roads. It boosts me about 2-3 inches so that even though I am still using my left hand on the rocker panel to get in and out, it is not as much a chore. This also puts me at a normal seating position vs a lowered one for the track.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:40 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Recaro reclining 'Speed-V' seats:

Designed specifically for the C5-C6-C7 Corvette.

These are not hardcore road racing seats, but should be real comfortable for long drives ... and certainly an improvements over the stock 2005-2011 C6 seats.

Attachment 48331163

Attachment 48331161

Attachment 48331162

Attachment 48335127

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-29-2021 at 10:57 AM.
ubervic (03-29-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 09:34 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

I would avoid bolting a seat to stock power sliders due to the bad design and they break on C5's.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:58 PM
Ted5155
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angel Wing Alternative

As an alternate to the Angle Wings, you could try these instead. They also work for there torso.www.bolsterboost.com

Originally Posted by PKStyles
Cool, I had stumbled upon Angel Pads in my research. I think I may try the Angel Pads... seems like a logical step before going full race seat, harness etc. Cheers for the tip!

Quick Reply: Seat options for occasional track duty