Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette, Tires spinning on wheels, getting out of balance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:22 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default C7 Corvette, Tires spinning on wheels, getting out of balance

I searched but could not find this anywhere.
Had a new set of Pilot SS's put on my C7 Z06. left the next day for Colorado from Cincy. By St. Louis, they were so far out of balance I had to stop and get them re-balanced in Kansas. By Colorado, same thing. Had the balanced for the 3rd time once back in Cincy. 300 miles later, a 4th balance. They keep saying a weight fell off. BS, on all 4?
I suspect the tires are spinning on the rims. They said they had to use a lot of goop to get them to seal. I marked all today and it looks like the left front has already moved about 1 cm.

Is this a matter of taking tires off, cleaning bead very good and remounting or will the fix be beyond just that?

Very frustrating so far.

Thanks for any advice
Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM
ckchan10
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

On my C6Z I used to have a lot of problems with tires spinning on the rims. I marked the tires and it rotated like 6 inches during about 2 hours of track driving. I solved the problem by requesting the tire installer to use bead sealer. In my experience I have to give the sealer a few days to dry. One time I had them install the tire with sealer and went to the track the very next day..tires spun a lot. Next time I waited a week between and no spin at all. Hope this helps and best of luck with your situation.
The following users liked this post:
WNeal (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by ckchan10
On my C6Z I used to have a lot of problems with tires spinning on the rims. I marked the tires and it rotated like 6 inches during about 2 hours of track driving. I solved the problem by requesting the tire installer to use bead sealer. In my experience I have to give the sealer a few days to dry. One time I had them install the tire with sealer and went to the track the very next day..tires spun a lot. Next time I waited a week between and no spin at all. Hope this helps and best of luck with your situation.
Thanks,
I have not even had it on the track. Just some spirited driving is all. I hit the brakes a bit harder than usual tonight and think it was enough.
I will discuss the bead sealer with them
Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You only feel the out of balance if your fronts are off balance. You don't feel the rears. Also, you get real bad vibration when your tires slip about 1/4 turn or more. An inch or so won't matter much, and hard to feel

On my track tires, I take a strong hair spray to the shop and ask them to use it instead of soap. The trick is to mount tires quick after spraying them, before the hair spray dries.

Hair spray is very slick when wet, with substantial adhesion when dry.

I wonder if bead seal leaves a mess to be cleaned when time comes for the next round of tires.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

AquaNet, is slippery when wet and practically vulcanizes when dry. It's also cheap.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
You only feel the out of balance if your fronts are off balance. You don't feel the rears. Also, you get real bad vibration when your tires slip about 1/4 turn or more. An inch or so won't matter much, and hard to feel

On my track tires, I take a strong hair spray to the shop and ask them to use it instead of soap. The trick is to mount tires quick after spraying them, before the hair spray dries.

Hair spray is very slick when wet, with substantial adhesion when dry.

I wonder if bead seal leaves a mess to be cleaned when time comes for the next round of tires.
Works on every track tire I've ever run.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Mounting the run-flat tires on a C7Z is a PITA - the sidewalls are so small and offer no give - getting the tires to seat is a real chore. I believe some of the dealerships have newer equipment to help them but it's still tough. I've spent over an hour just getting one tire to seat!

Whenever I have customers who brings in used slicks I balance the wheel then mount the tire - most used slicks have so much rubber build up on them that it doesn't pay to balance the wheel and tire since the balance will change once the build up is rubbed off. On a track car this works since you are not cruising at the same speed for too long, also the tires will slip on the rims a little bit at first but after a day or so they find a happy spot and settle in.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:32 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Once the tire is on the rim, all the goop can be wiped off or cleaned with a degreaser before the tire bead is set. Then the tire should stick for road use. The key is cleaning off the goop
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

1+ aquanet. My tires are spinning badly on the wheels as well. I think my local guy used too much soap. I forgot the aquanet...

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette, Tires spinning on wheels, getting out of balance

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette, Tires spinning on wheels, getting out of balance