Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brey Krause harness bar SCCA Solo legality

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Default Brey Krause harness bar SCCA Solo BS legality

I've been reading/receiving some conflicting information on it for stock class and looking for clarity for those that know, appreciate the insight.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 08-13-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Appears to me that the c6 bar is legal as shipped. The c5 bar is legal if you do not use the two bars that run down to the seat mount on the floor.
13.2.h

"A horizontal “harness
bar” may be used as part of the installation hardware for allowed driver restraints provided it has no more than 2 attachment points to the chassis and is bolted at those locations. A C-type harness bar may also be used. It may have 4 bolted attachment points to the chassis (2 primary and 2 sup- porting connections to resist rotation). Truss-type harness bars with more than two (2) attachment points are not allowed.
Pretty sure that the B-K is a truss-type, not a C-type.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 08-14-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:23 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Agreed it's a truss type, but seems like it'd be a safety issue if you didn't install though I'm going see if it rotates without them. I've reached out to Sam Strano with no response, if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. Have a week to cancel going to Nationals and would like to know for sure as I'm not wasting a trip without it when a BMW 1m in the class can run the same tire size as C5Z in AS (275/35r18 & 315/30r18), so need all the help I can get as my rears are the same size as his fronts and the thing isn't much heavier with more torque and better gearing.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 08-15-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 PM
boony1968
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a BK bar in my GS and had the same concerns. Before Dixie 2016 I wrote a letter for clarity. My specific question was not answered in time for Dixie but later in the year the rule was changed to allow truss type bars with two attachment points. Search through the fasttracks from last year.

I assume C5 BK bars are similar to C6's.

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1477062058

Last edited by boony1968; 08-17-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Edit / add link
Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

1. its only not legal if you get protested. (and to get protested, you have to be in the top three beating the expected normal winners, and protested by them).
2. a close look at any ones car can give you ammo (bet they have something illegal too).

I know because someone was going to protest my none stock **** ****. I found just on his car, modded seat (removed seat spring lower cushion) (weight reduction) metal sway bar links (should have been plastic links for his model year)
and he was so far down on time the officials called him on the protest " do you really think a shift **** gave him a 7 sec lead over you", and I was mid pack at best anyway. He ended up blowing his motor because he used a tech 2 to up his rev limiter (to much) causing valve train failure... Karma.

And that why I went from National tour/Nationals to doing track days.

Mark.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by boony1968
I had a BK bar in my GS and had the same concerns. Before Dixie 2016 I wrote a letter for clarity. My specific question was not answered in time for Dixie but later in the year the rule was changed to allow truss type bars with two attachment points. Search through the fasttracks from last year.

I assume C5 BK bars are similar to C6's.

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1477062058
They aren't. C6 bars have two attachment points, one on each end. C5 has 4. It is mounted very differently. Where the c6 has two bolts on the end at the seatbelt mount which keeps from spinning in a crash, the c5 has only a single hole at each end. It'll roll over without the two legs that go to the floor.

Anyway, I can't think of anyone that would protest a B-K bar in either car for any class. The C5 version is useless without those legs and it is only a safety item. The B-K is very well known and well built.

Boony, you ran AS, didn't you? I was at Dixie in SSP with my B-K. The year before I had one in my C5, though I was in CAM-S.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Anyway, I can't think of anyone that would protest a B-K bar in either car for any class. The C5 version is useless without those legs and it is only a safety item. The B-K is very well known and well built.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it either. I can't imagine any of the guys at the top are going to think you beat them because you have a harness bar in the car. But if you're really worried why not just take it out and run with an aftermarket lap belt to hold you in place?

And I wouldn't be worried about the 1M...
Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I pulled the lower braces and it doesn't move enough to be a concern. I don't expect to podium being it's my first trip to Nationals, but hope to trophy and would hate to loose it so looking to be prepared as best possible. I beat the 1Ms owner at last Sunday's event, but it's the co-driver that I'm almost certain will be on the podium as he's predicted to win. Thanks to all for the help, will see how things go soon enough. Just as excited to run Circuit of the Americas the week before!

Godspeed, Chris
Old 08-20-2017, 02:22 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Moto One
1. its only not legal if you get protested. (and to get protested, you have to be in the top three beating the expected normal winners, and protested by them).
2. a close look at any ones car can give you ammo (bet they have something illegal too).

I know because someone was going to protest my none stock **** ****. I found just on his car, modded seat (removed seat spring lower cushion) (weight reduction) metal sway bar links (should have been plastic links for his model year)
and he was so far down on time the officials called him on the protest " do you really think a shift **** gave him a 7 sec lead over you", and I was mid pack at best anyway. He ended up blowing his motor because he used a tech 2 to up his rev limiter (to much) causing valve train failure... Karma.

Mark.
Good to know, thanks for sharing experiences. I thought a shift **** was considered comfort and convenience though?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 08-20-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:26 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by v10climber
I honestly wouldn't worry about it either. I can't imagine any of the guys at the top are going to think you beat them because you have a harness bar in the car. But if you're really worried why not just take it out and run with an aftermarket lap belt to hold you in place?

And I wouldn't be worried about the 1M...
I used to run with the lower cinched and a waders belt around the chest, but that doesn't keep the floppy seat from folding forward and the harness do a much better job at allowing you to focus on steering inputs and making you one with the car.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I pulled the lower braces and it doesn't move enough to be a concern. I don't expect to podium being it's my first trip to Nationals, but hope to trophy and would hate to loose it so looking to be prepared as best possible. I beat the 1Ms owner at last Sunday's event, but it's the co-driver that I'm almost certain will be on the podium as he's predicted to win. Thanks to all for the help, will see how things go soon enough. Just as excited to run Circuit of the Americas the week before!

Godspeed, Chris
Uh, according to Sports Car, there's no mention of a 1M in AS. Daddio is picked to win the class, and Sports Car is picking an all Corvette battle for the win.

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Good to know, thanks for sharing experiences. I thought a shift **** was considered comfort and convenience though?
It is...
Old 08-20-2017, 01:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Mark.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:07 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattastick
Uh, according to Sports Car, there's no mention of a 1M in AS. Daddio is picked to win the class, and Sports Car is picking an all Corvette battle for the win.

It is...
I'm in BS as I have a FRC, believe the 1M was in AS previously though.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:01 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is an awful attitude to take.

Shift ***** are legal in Street.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by dhowdy
This is an awful attitude to take.

Shift ***** are legal in Street.
This was back in the day Super Stock.

To the OP, if you haven't been to Nationals before, don't put much stock into how you do at local events. I was the big fish in our small pond region and not bad at the National tour, and as noted, only mid pack at nat's. And only being a few tenths off the leaders is a mile there.

Kinda like being Valedictorian in High School, and then getting to Ivy League Collage where you just one of the students.

Watch learn, most of all have fun...

Then again you could be the man/gal/what ever. (not a slam, really)

Get notified of new replies

To Brey Krause harness bar SCCA Solo legality

Quick Reply: Brey Krause harness bar SCCA Solo legality