Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
C5/C5Z
Pros: Cheap, light, easy
Cons: Quirky ABS/stability control, lowest power (may be a plus), **** for brakes compared to C6 and C7, no dry sump

C6
Just no. Don't get a C6 unless it's a grand Sport or Z06/ZR1.

C6 Z06/GS/ZR1
Pros: massive tires, good 6 piston calipers, dry sump
Cons: None really. Some LS7s need some head work to be reliable

C7 Z51:
You're gonna upgrade most stuff to GS level so just get a GS

C7 GS:
No real cons except price. 2017 (?)+ has extra cooling. I ran in 103 degree weather and oil temps barely budged.

C7 Z06/Z07
N/A. Can't run laps without overheating.

Honestly through, just buy a spec car (Miata, Boxter, etc) that is built and known to be reliable. street cars just aren't race cars.
Post is appropriate for user name. WTF man?

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-12-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Except your car will sit at the dealer for weeks while GM tries to figure out how they don't have to pay to fix the car since its been "abused".
You are incorrect. At least in my case but I doubt I am special. As I think about it though I do have a number of cars and have some great relationships that have always helped with any issue on any vehicle I have or have had.

I have had my Corvettes and my Viper in for warranty work. Numbers on the car. Safety gear. No tags on it. Never an issue.

Last edited by Racingswh; 08-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I read through about 2/3rds of the posts. I think a lot more questions need to be asked before making recommendations:
  1. Do you have a budget? (everyone does, but it appears you are wiling to spend up to $100k for a C7 Z06)
  2. What is the full purpose of the car? (Will you be driving it on the street, too? Is that required? will it be a daily driver that you take to the track? Will it only be a track car?)
  3. Can you afford to wreck it?
  4. Will you flip out if it gets even a few very minor scratches?
  5. Do you suspect you are going to become addicted to track?
  6. You have a son going to college and that will limit your track opportunities. How does that affect your outlook on spending money for this sport affliction?
  7. Have you come to terms or recognized how much it costs to run these cars if you start doing 20 track days per year?
  8. Do you anticipate heading down a wheel to wheel racing path?
  9. Do you want to be the fastest guy on the track everytime?
  10. Or do you want to really learn how to drive and set-up a race car?
  11. Do you want or need a lot of computer nannies driving the car for you?
  12. Will you work on your own car or have someone else do it?

These are just a few questions that need to be answered to give a more accurate answer for your particular situation. I can think of a lot more questions if I spent 10 more minutes on it, but just answering these completely will be hugely revealing.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
You are incorrect. At least in my case but I doubt I am special. As I think about it though I do have a number of cars and have some great relationships that have always helped with any issue on any vehicle I have or have had.

I have had my Corvettes and my Viper in for warranty work. Numbers on the car. Safety gear. No tags on it. Never an issue.
Well unfortunately that's what happening with my car now. Car sat for 2 weeks with GM denying warranty coverage. Finally they agreed to proceed only if I put a deposit down because it "may" not be covered. Now we are waiting another week because they won't let the dealer proceed with the repair without a GM field engineer.

And this car is 100% stock and I followed all instructions in the owners manual.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Well unfortunately that's what happening with my car now. Car sat for 2 weeks with GM denying warranty coverage. Finally they agreed to proceed only if I put a deposit down because it "may" not be covered. Now we are waiting another week because they won't let the dealer proceed with the repair without a GM field engineer.

And this car is 100% stock and I followed all instructions in the owners manual.
I have had two warranty issues in my life where coverage was initially questioned. A high mileage 2011 Dodge Ram and a new 2003 Porsche 911. In both cases coverage was approved.

With GM I have never had an issue. I have friends that have had engines replaced, transmissions, differentials etc on cars used at the track and covered without any issues under warranty. I can't even admit to stuff that was replaced under warranty on my Wife's C6Z.

Sorry for your situation. Hope it works out favorably.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop
Post is appropriate for user name. WTF man?
which part is rubbing your fur the wrong way?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
What is inherently wrong with a base C6?
I "daily" mine mostly but it will see track duty from time to time. Is there something I should be prepared for? (LS2)
I had a base 2010 (LS3 / 6-speed). With nothing more than upgraded r-comps and track pads, the car was bone stock. I took it to the track a few times and just ROASTED it. I'm not a pro, but I can drive fairly well. Given that the base car has NO coolers on it, I initially had the Z06 engine oil cooler installed. However, the steering, tranny/diff were all getting HOT as well, and the last time I took it to the track, I was black flagged for billowing black smoke from under the car ........... I believe it was the diff, heating up and puking out the vent line, onto the hot exhaust. So I weighed out the option of either upgrading EVERYTHING, or upgrading to an already track-prepped car. So out went the C6, and in came the Z06. I had ZERO issues with over-heating anything on that track at that point.

In retrospect, I think a Grand Sport would have been the best buy when I first bought the C6.

All that being said, I know a couple guys who ran C6 Z51's with no issues that I'm aware of. But at least they had the other factory coolers installed, where the base car has none.

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 08-13-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey - if you want to go full tilt idiot then get an ASA/GTA car!
The following 3 users liked this post by Captain Buddha:
bosco022 (08-16-2017), Racingswh (08-14-2017), village idiot (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

What does a GTA car go for these days?

Spec Boxster is still my pick. $20k gets you a very reliable mid engine car you'll never outgrow.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

$20-25k for crazy fast/safe. Amazing value for the speed and durability.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Yeah, they're pretty awesome. Solid axle racing sounds pretty sweet too.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:57 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

With regard to the ASA/GTA thing, check out the video of Trans Am Champion TA2 class Cameron Lawrence and friends back in his V8 StockCar days. Several GTA cars running together at Sebring in 2012.

The ASA cars are a viable alternative for track day cars with an easy move to wheel to wheel

Old 08-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I don't know why these guys think there's a problem with the C7 Z06!?!?

I have an M7 and have been very happy with the car. My 2016 C7 Z06/Z07 does "hot lap after hot lap without any whining" and has been a great track car!!

https://youtu.be/42o6JLVdhp8
I've rode with Bob (as a ridealong), and he is passing everything, it is always a blast!

I recommend to anyone that is serious about this go to a driving school, and buy the 3 day package. That will tell you how much you really like it, because if you do it right, you are tired at the end of the day. It may save you a ton of money too.

When I bought my 2011 GS, I got a driving school invite as part of a month long incentive for any vette back then.

Spring Mountain was the best thing that ever happened to me. I grew up in WV, flying on curvy roads will poor handling cars, so I was in the fast group of Spring Mountain newbies. But I got a lot smoother and faster as a result of 3 days there.

To me, the key with any vehicle in an HDPE event is learning your particular car, to be smooth, hit the apexes, how late to brake, accelerate in the curves, etc. That is what makes for the fast laps.

You can rent cars at most events, and I recommend paying the extra and renting the newest that they have. They take care of all of them, but the older vehicles feel "sloppy" to me, probably because they have been beat on for many, many sessions.

Then, if you are still interested in it, you will have a much better feel for what track car you want for yourself.

Quick Reply: Track Day Vette?