Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ever take your bump steer for granted.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I decide to do delrin bushings, I'll look at getting a bumpsteer kit. I don't think a bumpsteer kit is worth the time and effort when I'm on the super soft factory rubber bushings.

A bump steer kit will help a lot, even with the soft bushings.
You should be able to "0" the toe change.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Horseshow Manager
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
We recently had a customer with a well "Sorted" car thats been running for years. We were asked to drive the car to diagnose a shifting issue thats popped up, and after discovering some issues, we noticed that the car had evil characteristics when driven at the limit.

We found the shocks low on pressure, and the most interesting thing? (The rear caster was close to stock, and all suspension components stock as well.) Was that the bump steer was no where near where it needed to be!

The bump steer curve looked like this:

-1" droop----------0.000
-0- ride height- -----Toe out .020
1" bump--------- .080 toe out
2" bump--------.100 toe out
2.5" bump -----.125 toe out

In the rear, this will completely negate any static toe you set, and will begin to steer the rear of the car from this drastic toe change as the car rolls over. This would help explain why the car became evil when driven hard.

Yes, hate evil driving cars
These guys KNOW what they are doing!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:04 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for posting! I was wondering why my C6z street car was so evil handling and I think this is why. Never had a problem with a C5, but my C6z was basically uncontrollable on throttle going over any bump. Made it no fun to drive really. So I just raised the rear a bit and adjusted the caster back a little and reset toe to see what would happen. Wow, the handling is significantly improved and this was just my first guess at changing the setup. I can finally hit the throttle in 2nd gear around corners and go full throttle down country roads without the car trying to dart side to side uncontrollably.

Last edited by redtopz; 02-04-2017 at 08:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2K8LS3 (03-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Never ever take your bump steer for granted.