Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So which C6 should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:44 PM
SS Performance
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default So which C6 should I get?

I'm looking into getting a C6 to do some road racing HPDE type events. I don't think I will be autoXing.

So I'm not sure which one I should get, Z06, ZR1, Grand Sport or something else.

I was going to build a 4th gen Camaro but I think I can get more from a C6 and be in it for less.

I'm leaning towards a Z06, I know they have oiling problems but they can be overcome.

ZR1 is a bit pricey.

Car will see some street use but will primarily be a track car.

Thanks for any input/advice
Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you were looking at a 4th gen f-body, what made you skip considering a C5?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM
SS Performance
Cruising

Originally Posted by dhowdy
If you were looking at a 4th gen f-body, what made you skip considering a C5?
I don't know, I just figured the C6 would offer more options & performance.

If I'm wrong please educate me.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

C5 is your best bang for the buck.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Performance
I don't know, I just figured the C6 would offer more options & performance.

If I'm wrong please educate me.
I would say you have the same good options between both variants, maybe a smidge more for the C5. C5Z vs C6 performance is negligible. C6Z is a bit faster than a C5Z for double the price, but way more in consumables, LS7 head concerns, and a driver mod in the C5Z will trump an extra 100 HP in the C6Z every time.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 10-19-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:30 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Like others have mentioned, the C5Z is a lot more bang for the buck and the way I see it, if you are considering a C6Z you can get the C5Z and spend some of the savings addressing issues that will be required on either car for track use. Like engine cooling, brake upgrades (the C6Z brake consumables are expensive and offer a marginal upgrade for track use over the C5Z), seating and safety. Plus the C5Z engines seem to be far more reliable than the C6Z's for track use. Not dissing the C6Z, but for me, the extra 100 hp was hard to justify for another $15K.

Last edited by ZedO6; 10-19-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:22 PM
SS Performance
Cruising

Since several people have mentioned going C5Z I have done some checking. Local to me the difference in price between the C5Z and C6Z is $5-$10K unless I want something with 100K plus miles. Granted $5-$10K isn't chump change but I am still conflicted.

Looking some more a C6 coupe LS2/LS3 is about the same as a C5Z. How is the performance/handling between these?

I guess the question is do the Z's have superior suspension packages or just engines?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 12:56 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A C5 is a great track car. The Grand Sport is the way to go in a C6 track car. The C6 Z06 is a monster on track, but can be very costly to track for many reasons. I know several people who have sold C6/7s to buy a C5 for track use.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

bah skip them all and be unique and save a bunch of money, go C4!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ual-trans.html

similar lap times as a C6 Z06 driven by instructor.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:06 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since several people have mentioned going C5Z I have done some checking. Local to me the difference in price between the C5Z and C6Z is $5-$10K unless I want something with 100K plus miles. Granted $5-$10K isn't chump change but I am still conflicted.
Where do you live? C5Zs seem to go for low 20s and C6Z for low 40s in comparable condition.

Personally, I'd go C5Z...

LS3s apparently have oiling issues on the track.

LS7s have head issues.

Suspension on all of them is super similar in design and it's easy enough to swap springs/shocks/bars and then it's all level playing field.

Last edited by dhowdy; 10-19-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:11 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Since a zr1 is in your budget, go with the c6 z06. It will need the least modifications since it already has the dry sump, wide wheels, additional cooling, and best powerband.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ponycar
The Grand Sport is the way to go in a C6 track car. The C6 Z06 is a monster on track, but can be very costly to track for many reasons.
I went this route for the exact reason that a C6Z could be very costly if something goes wrong ($14k motor to pay for if you drop a valve).
The Grand Sport (6speed Manual) is basically a C6Z with different fenders, an LS3, and a steel frame. Plus the money I saved going with a GS went toward an oil cooler, bigger radiator, and other track oriented parts to combat this Texas heat during the track season.
Just food for thought.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:50 PM
SS Performance
Cruising

Are Grand Sports & Z51 the same?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
I went this route for the exact reason that a C6Z could be very costly if something goes wrong ($14k motor to pay for if you drop a valve).
The Grand Sport (6speed Manual) is basically a C6Z with different fenders, an LS3, and a steel frame. Plus the money I saved going with a GS went toward an oil cooler, bigger radiator, and other track oriented parts to combat this Texas heat during the track season.
Just food for thought.
2nd Vote!!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 PM
ridenrunwv
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a situation similar to the OP and recently joined the forum to do research. Base C5 cars are a decent bit cheaper than C5Z so if you don't mind spending the extra to modify is a C5Z worth the extra? I know they appear to be the most popular choice along with the FRC but wondered if the hardtop is really worth the premium.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Speed cost money, so It is important to think through what you are really going to use the car for and define your budget expectations. I did Track events with my Corvette for years and had a great time doing it. As I started to get a bit faster I realized that my car wasn't a great race car and it wasn't a great street car anymore. A few years ago, I decided that I wanted more safety than I could get in a dual purpose car, so I turned my Corvette back into a street car and bought a dedicated racecar. At first I was looking at barely street legal C6z, then I looked at dedicated C5 caged race cars. But then I decided to go a different way and got a Radical which is a light weight (~1,300lbs), high down force (~1,700 lbs) racecar that is capable of 2.5g turning. You can get a used Radical for a similar price as a C6Z...but their are pluses and minuses. Consumables are minimal, for example brakes last forever... But engine overhauls are expensive. So think through what you really want to do with the car and how much you are willing to pay. If you can afford a dedicated car I would look at something with a cage and fire extinguishing system. Then have fun with the path you pick.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 10-19-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:23 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

No. The Z51 was the predecessor to the Grand Sport. It (Z51) had different gear ratios, brakes, and suspension from the base model, as well as a small oil cooler. The Grand Sport has the flared fenders for wider tires, bigger brakes, dry sump, better suspension, etc as compared to the base model and Z51. If you can afford both, then definitelygo with the Grand Sport!

Get notified of new replies

To So which C6 should I get?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:27 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
I'm in a situation similar to the OP and recently joined the forum to do research. Base C5 cars are a decent bit cheaper than C5Z so if you don't mind spending the extra to modify is a C5Z worth the extra? I know they appear to be the most popular choice along with the FRC but wondered if the hardtop is really worth the premium.
Not to thread hi-jack, but R&T did a good article on a C5Z.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...trackday-hero/
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

No, they are similar but a manual grand sport is basically a Z06 with a smaller engine (LS3) and a steel frame (approx 150lbs heavier). I've been tracking & daily driving my stock GS for a little over 3 years and it has been great. If I was building a dedicated C6 track car I would start with a manual grand sport then add after market radiator, tires, sways, headers, tires, and race seats/harness. I guarantee with good driving you would be 95% faster and more reliable than most cars at any given HPDE.

If I really wanted to go all out I would add a big brake kit (AP Racing), high dollar coil-overs, upgraded drysump system, a mild cam to get at about 475 RWHP, and lastly true aero ala splitter/side-skirts/wing.

In short, 10K in additions builds you a track monster.

Queue shameless stock Grand Sport vid

Last edited by truth.b; 10-20-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM
SS Performance
Cruising

Originally Posted by truth.b
No, they are similar but a manual grand sport is basically a Z06 with a smaller engine (LS3) and a steel frame (approx 150lbs heavier). I've been tracking & daily driving my stock GS for a little over 3 years and it has been great. If I was building a dedicated C6 track car I would start with a manual grand sport then add after market radiator, tires, sways, headers, tires, and race seats/harness. I guarantee with good driving you would be 95% faster and more reliable than most cars at any given HPDE.

If I really wanted to go all out I would add a big brake kit (AP Racing), high dollar coil-overs, upgraded drysump system, a mild cam to get at about 475 RWHP, and lastly true aero ala splitter/side-skirts/wing.

In short, 10K in additions builds you a track monster.

Queue shameless stock Grand Sport vid

Personal Best 2016

Hot Laps NCM 2016 @ VIR
Nice thanks.

What data logger/camera system are you using?

Quick Reply: So which C6 should I get?