Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 08:55 AM
dbawannabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14

Tried low speed autocross last year and loved it. Thinking about this high speed school being offered at Blackhawk race track in Illinois - if I can still get in. Anyone ever try it ? Is it worthwhile ? I just bought some Michelin A/S Zero Pressure tire - will this ruin my tires ? Can I just run an unmodified 98//MN6/Coupe ? Any advice ?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2002, 08:46 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (dbawannabe)

I started with autocross on track with the council and now run wheel to wheel. The autocross school next weekend is run with our drivers school for wheel to wheel and is limited to 15 cars. I would be very surprised if its not full with a stand by list. You can still come to the track to check it out and see what we do for autocross and wheel to wheel. I would invite you to work a corner to see the action up close. There will be other corvette drivers there and I am sure you can get advice on how to prepare for track autocross.

As far as the tires most of the autocross cars are on street tires.

Yes you can run a stock 98 but you will be in X prepared class and need a five point harness. All drivers need a current auto racing helmet and long pants and shirt.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Also let me know if you are coming out this weekend I will be at the track for the drivers school and race sunday

Old 09-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Triple White 92
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (dbawannabe)

All I can say is JUST DO IT!!! I'm signed up for my third MCSCC driver school. I can't get enough. I will be there Saturday only. The entry deadline was Wednesday the 4th. I received a confirmation email Saturday with 15 names listed (probably full). I'm new to high speed autocrossing. Baby steps for me. I'm running GY F1 GS Non Runflats on a second set of rims. Stock 97-99 rims are very cheap (less than $300). I purchased the tires from the Tirerack for $612. The price has already come down since May. I figured I would beat up some street tires (I can also drive to and from the track) before I move up to stickier tires and a small tire trailer. The autocross school is just one group, so you don't need to be in a Prepared or Stock class. They will bring you out of the grid based on the cars power.
Mat covered the other items. I have a harness bar and dual six point harnesses, helmet, and long pants and shirt. Hope you can make it out to the track. Most fun you can have with your clothes on......

Mike Boggs
1997 coupe
1992 convert.
formerly of Dixon, IL (Hi Mat)
Old 09-09-2002, 07:04 PM
90z
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (Triple White 92)

How did you get in three times?? I did it once in the spring and it was so cool I wanted to do it again too, but they won't let people repeat. I thought about giving a fake name just to get in again :D
Old 09-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Triple White 92
Instructor

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (90z)

90Z,

I raced the first time at the June 8th School. Raced the second time at the August 3rd School. My third time will be Sept 14th.
All of these schools were at Blackhawk Farms. I've never been told I could only attend one school. I thought that is what the
school was all about (practice, practice, practice). Instructors can show you the lines if you have developed any bad habits.
Lots of track time!! Best $85 a guy can spend. :yesnod:

Mike Boggs
1997 Coupe
1992 Convert
Old 09-10-2002, 01:25 AM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (Triple White 92)

90Z the entries are picked based on experience, and how many slots are available, and the number of entries. In case of too many entries the names are drawn. At least that's my understanding of how its decided. We also run a high performance drivers school in the autocross format that is open to more drivers. Lastly we have a novice class at all autocross events and you can come out and have an instructor ride with you for your practice in the morning. So even though you did not sign up for the school come to the next autoX.

Mike,
I will be there Sat and Sunday working safety and rescue. I haven't got my car back together since the road america incident.
See you there.
MAC
Old 09-10-2002, 10:43 AM
90z
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (MAC95 6SPD)

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to be more persistent I guess. I agree that for the track time, it's the best $85 I've ever spent :yesnod: I would like to do another one of the autocrosses at Blackhawk yet this fall if time allows.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Triple White 92
Instructor

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (MAC95 6SPD)

Mat,

I will look for you on Saturday. I will be driving my wife's white 1997 Corvette coupe.
I watched several of the video's from Road America. I couldn't believe my eyes. Best of luck getting her back together. We will talk on Saturday.

Mike Boggs
1997 Coupe
1992 Convert.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:18 PM
A.D.Malmquist
Instructor

MAT:
I hope that all is going well with your cars rebuild and also the new house. I keep hearing about all these videos floating around but I am yet to see any of them, other than the one I saw that day. If you could, send me a link. The air Sunday should be good for the first time since spring so I am hoping for some 17's. (assuming no computer problems)

To everyone else: MC is a great group were the racing is racing is competetive, especially in the group Vettes race. Furthermore, you get plenty of track time with drivers that won't run you off the road (Mat might disagree). If anyone sticks around for the W2W races on Sunday, stop by and say hi, I am the Blue #9 C5 and my Father drives his white #50 C4.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:08 PM
Triple White 92
Instructor

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (CARGASM)

Adam,

I have two video's on my hard drive at home. I will send them to you on Sunday after I get back. I'm on dial up, so I hope they go through OK. I seem to always lose connection just before the file is done sending. Oh well.

Mike
Old 09-18-2002, 12:29 AM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Default Re: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14 (CARGASM)

Adam,
I don't have links so I sent you the files at your AOL address.
Let me know if you get them.
MAC

Get notified of new replies

To Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14

Quick Reply: Midwest Council of Sports Car Club Autocross School in Illinois Sept 14