Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the swaybar always be centered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:33 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Should the swaybar always be centered?

I was looking at the rear swaybar on my C5 Z06...it is a Hotchkis unit with 3 mounting holes to adjust the stiffness. I just had adjustable endlinks put on the car in all 4 corners and the car corner weighted.

My question concerns the placement of the swaybar left to right between the mounts...should it always be pretty close to staying in the center or is it normal that it shifts to either the right or left maybe 1/2" to 1" during track use?

If it should be staying centered, would a locking collar on either the inside or outside of the swaybar mounts be installed to keep it centered?

I have not noticed this issue on the front Hotchkis bar.

TIA
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The sway bar should be centered to keep it from binding. I used the Hotchkiss bars on my C5 and had to install locking collars to keep the rear from walking to the right hand side. No problem with the front bar.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just installed a rear bar on my 02 Z06. The bar came with the collars and directions to center the bar.

Gene
Old 04-10-2016, 09:17 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corv
Just installed a rear bar on my 02 Z06. The bar came with the collars and directions to center the bar.

Gene
Hmmm, ok thanks for the input. My swaybars where on the car when I bought it, I'll call Hotchkis tomorrow and see what they have available or something off the shelf locally they can recommend.

Thanks again for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Should the swaybar always be centered?

Quick Reply: Should the swaybar always be centered?