Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage floor finish

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 04:26 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default garage floor finish

I'm pouring a new garage floor. Any special finish I should ask for ? and what PSI cement should I order ?

I do plan on a 2 post lift.
How many inches thick ?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:10 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Minimum for a lift is 4 inches I would do 5 or 6 if you can afford it. Get the higher strength concrete. I forget the name but the type I got has fibers in it. I got a hand towel finish. It is smooth but not perfectly so it is not slippery when wet yet easy to clean,etc...
Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with 93Ruby about the extra thickness. I would go 6 inch for my own (when in doubt, build it stout).

The good news is that if you know the proposed post positions, you can go extra thick only there (say a 24 inch x 24 inch area per post). No need to do the entire floor extra thick. Fiber reinforcement is a good idea. As is wire mesh. Well placed Rebar ( steel reinforcing bars) is best.

3000 - 3600 psi will do. But it will take it 28 days to cure to that strength (unless you order high early strength). Regular mix will achieve about 50% of its ultimate strength in 3-5 days.

Last edited by emptnest; 12-01-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The epoxy finishes are nice, but $$$.

I would go with a light color, they are easy to clean anyway & a light color helps you find little fasteners etc when they drop.

Good lighting is a big plus too!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I dug out some big "piers" under where my lift posts would be, probably overkill, but figured it couldn't hurt. We did 5" thick for the slab, with the piers being much much thicker.

I used a 100% solid epoxy from Wolverine Coatings. Don't know if they are still around. They used to be big on garage journal. If I had to do it again, I would have just left the grey base coating and not done the flakes. I may coat it again someday!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I dug out some big "piers" under where my lift posts would be, probably overkill, but figured it couldn't hurt. We did 5" thick for the slab, with the piers being much much thicker.

I used a 100% solid epoxy from Wolverine Coatings. Don't know if they are still around. They used to be big on garage journal. If I had to do it again, I would have just left the grey base coating and not done the flakes. I may coat it again someday!

SAweet #%@!!&#$ garage!
Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I dig that garage and the car.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had to do it again, I would have just left the grey base coating and not done the flakes.
Curious as to why? I'm going to be coating my floor soon and was assuming I'd do flakes.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used a light tan epoxy kit I got at Lowe's. I have a 3-car garage and I was worried that the specs said it would do a 2-car. But there was enough material to easily do the floor. I did not use the flakes as I wanted to be able to sweep the floor and wash clean and use a squeegee to push water out. I also didn't add a non-skid material and it turns out the floor is not slippery when it's wet.

Definitely make sure the new floor has cured before putting down an epoxy finish. Cleaning the floor is very important. I cleaned my floor 3 times using a 50-50 mix of Simple Green and water. It's also important to rinse the floor thoroughly! Most epoxy kits come with a form of citric acid to apply and rinse off as the final prep step.

A couple years ago I bought a Maxx-Jax mid-rise 2 post lift. The specs called for a 4" slab thickness and the install kit included 10 Wej-It anchors that needed only 3.5" of floor thickness to work. The spec on the garage floor when it was poured was for a 4" thickness using a 3000 psi mix. When I drilled the first two holes for the anchors, I measured the pad at that point. The thickness was 2.5" So much for a contractor following the plans... The floor also had some cracks that were within 6" of where the anchors were to be placed and that was too close.

What I did then was to have a company come out and cut out two 4'x'4 chunks of the floor, dig down 12" and pour new pads using a 5000 psi mix. Rebar was used in the pads and also rebar was used to tie the existing floor to the new pads. I had already measured for the jack stand locations so the contractor knew exactly where to install the rebar.

The pads needed to cure for 21 days and at that point I hammer-drilled the 10 holes and used 7" long epoxy anchors. The drilling was easy; the hardest part was cleaning the dust and debris out of the holes.

The finish on the pads was troweled smooth. I recently painted the slab pieces with a paint for concrete porches and got a pretty good paint match.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:30 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Curious as to why? I'm going to be coating my floor soon and was assuming I'd do flakes.
How many times have you dropped a small part on the floor?

Consistent finish makes things easy to see.

Does show dirt and stains and damage much worse though.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
How many times have you dropped a small part on the floor?

Consistent finish makes things easy to see.

Does show dirt and stains and damage much worse though.
About once a day

Figured as much. Didn't know if there was another reason, texture, etc.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I used a light tan epoxy kit I got at Lowe's. I have a 3-car garage and I was worried that the specs said it would do a 2-car. But there was enough material to easily do the floor. I did not use the flakes as I wanted to be able to sweep the floor and wash clean and use a squeegee to push water out. I also didn't add a non-skid material and it turns out the floor is not slippery when it's wet.

Definitely make sure the new floor has cured before putting down an epoxy finish. Cleaning the floor is very important. I cleaned my floor 3 times using a 50-50 mix of Simple Green and water. It's also important to rinse the floor thoroughly! Most epoxy kits come with a form of citric acid to apply and rinse off as the final prep step.

A couple years ago I bought a Maxx-Jax mid-rise 2 post lift. The specs called for a 4" slab thickness and the install kit included 10 Wej-It anchors that needed only 3.5" of floor thickness to work. The spec on the garage floor when it was poured was for a 4" thickness using a 3000 psi mix. When I drilled the first two holes for the anchors, I measured the pad at that point. The thickness was 2.5" So much for a contractor following the plans... The floor also had some cracks that were within 6" of where the anchors were to be placed and that was too close.

What I did then was to have a company come out and cut out two 4'x'4 chunks of the floor, dig down 12" and pour new pads using a 5000 psi mix. Rebar was used in the pads and also rebar was used to tie the existing floor to the new pads. I had already measured for the jack stand locations so the contractor knew exactly where to install the rebar.

The pads needed to cure for 21 days and at that point I hammer-drilled the 10 holes and used 7" long epoxy anchors. The drilling was easy; the hardest part was cleaning the dust and debris out of the holes.

The finish on the pads was troweled smooth. I recently painted the slab pieces with a paint for concrete porches and got a pretty good paint match.
[Thread Jack] (pun intended)
Do you like your MaxJak? How often do you move it out of the way and is it a pain?

I just built a garage and originally planned on an in ground scissor lift (Bendpak SP-7X or Atlas SLP-7K) as I have plenty of overhead room. But when you factor in installation, they're over twice the price of a MaxJak so I'm waffling on just getting a MaxJak and calling it a day.

An asymmetric two post lift would be ideal but I like the idea of moving the lift out of the way (MakJax) or recessing it in the ground (Scissor).

Thanks for any input you have.
[/Thread Jack]
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Now this is slick. I'm certain my cookie cutter suburbian garage floor is much too thin for a stand, good to know there's a workaround that doesn't involve an entirely new floor.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I did the this gray epoxy with a polyaspartic top coat and it is a MF'r to find a dropped screw/nut/bolt! Other than that, I absolutely love it! You can see where my lift bolts were already mounted and taped off.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The flakes are "prettier" the solid color is MUCH BETTER when you drop a tiny part. Also the water/squeegee thing.

Take a look at a picture of any hanger where maintenance is done on aircraft. Not too many flakes.

Last edited by froggy47; 12-03-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I prefer the clean look of the solid color, and as mentioned, its easier to see small stuff if dropped (little clips, or small thin washers, or small nuts/bolts, etc).
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Be careful if you decide to use the Lowe's kit. My floor was prepped properly but really sticky race tires will pull the paint up of left in the same spot for a length of time.

Get notified of new replies

To garage floor finish

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 752 Posts

About a year ago I installed a Bendpak 2-post lift in an existing slab and was concerned about its strength. I contacted Bendpak's tech support, and they said that the column's footprint is sized to support the limit weight on a standard construction slab (4" thick, normal compression strength concrete, mix of steel mesh and rebar).

I think the real point to be watched when using your lift is to keep it fairly balanced. My BP lift came with a set of drawings showing how to place various configurations of vehicles on the lift to keep the c.g. close.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
Be careful if you decide to use the Lowe's kit. My floor was prepped properly but really sticky race tires will pull the paint up of left in the same spot for a length of time.
Even stock C6/C7 tires will lift paint on some of them.

I don't suggest using ucoatit, I followed the directions to the letter, with a 2yr old garage floor that was perfect. Having peeling under tires years later. I do like the flakes and sand though.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:52 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

For a new floor 6 inches thick, 4000 psi concrete with fiber. 18x18 pads for two post lift are 10 inches thick with rebar. The fiber helps the concrete resist cracking in the future.

Quick Reply: garage floor finish