Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Corvette Challenge [The Update You've Been Waiting For!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for the update. Wonder what they have for side impact protection in the C7 that makes it "adequate". Hopefully more than an aluminum tube and a piece of fiberglass like the C5 has!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Interesting. Thanks for the update. Wonder what they have for side impact protection in the C7 that makes it "adequate". Hopefully more than an aluminum tube and a piece of fiberglass like the C5 has!
Just for the record.....That is no aluminum tube in the door of a C5!
Wait until you try to cut it out. It weighs about 16lbs.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ajderzie
I don't know the exact story but something to do with chevy dealers trying to get involved, I think? The series has been completely reorganized. The Corvette Challenge is now part of a racing school. I think the winners of each school will be invited back for a shootout. Spring Mountain will keep the cars so the costs should be less. That's all I know at the moment.

I found out about the cage. Please don't shoot the messenger or flame me, just passing along the info from one of the top pro drivers there who works with Ron Fellows. My understanding was that GM and Ron Fellows worked together on the Challenge car and GM felt that the side impact protection on the new Stingray was more than adequate according to their testing. They did not feel that the rollover protection was sufficient so that's why there is an addition of a roll bar (not a harness bar).
Are there pics of this roll bar yet floating around?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm really surprised at GM and Michelin getting involved in such a dicey concept. A race car without a full roll cage is a fatality waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: Michelin Corvette Challenge [The Update You've Been Waiting For!]