Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One - United States - TV Times (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,403 Likes on 751 Posts

Very entertaining race. I thought Nico and Lewis raced clean and hard (including lap 1 turn 1), but once again Nico threw it away more times than Hamilton did (LH really struggled with T1 in the wet, along with many others).

And someone needs to tell Rosberg to not be a petulant child while ON THE WORLD FEED!!! Regardless of your interpretation of Hamilton tossing him his hat (personally I thought it was a casual toss of required hatwear to a teammate), Nico throwing it back at Hamilton was something I'd expect from a thirteen year-old.

Now, on to Mexico City!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Very entertaining race. I thought Nico and Lewis raced clean and hard (including lap 1 turn 1), but once again Nico threw it away more times than Hamilton did (LH really struggled with T1 in the wet, along with many others).

And someone needs to tell Rosberg to not be a petulant child while ON THE WORLD FEED!!! Regardless of your interpretation of Hamilton tossing him his hat (personally I thought it was a casual toss of required hatwear to a teammate), Nico throwing it back at Hamilton was something I'd expect from a thirteen year-old.
I think that for the past couple of races Hamilton has been less than respectful (I'll put it that way) with the forcing of Rosberg out of bounds. This became such an issue in the Michael Schumacher days with his "cut across the entire track and force your opponent into the wall before the first turn" routine (reason #329 I dislike MS) and now it appears that LH is seeing this as the way to glory. At some point it's going to dawn on Rosberg that the way to put an end to that crap is to let Lewis hit him.

Lewis says it was accidental. Hardly the skill set we'd expect from the guy the media is crowning "one of the top 5 ever" and all that malarkey.

I do agree that Rosberg needs to man up a bit but IMO he certainly has a legit beef.

I really do think that whatever the Merc team did and/or said to Rosberg after last year's Spa collision with Hamilton has damaged him deeply - he's been a different driver since then. He needs to man up in these situations, too. If he *lets* Hamilton be the dominant driver then he's got only himself to blame for all that flows from that. If he doesn't want the team (and the entire planet) to think of him as the #2 driver then he needs to quit BEING the #2 driver. He needs to learn from Verstappen who told his team to get bent a few races ago when they wanted him to let his teammate by.

From Autosport:

With Nico Rosberg’s disappointment palpable after losing to Lewis
Hamilton in Austin, Toto Wolff concedes Mercedes need to take action
to prevent a breakdown in the relationship.

Last season Mercedes had to cope with the fallout after Rosberg and
Hamilton clashed at Spa. The German was deemed responsible for that
collision, although this time around he feels Hamilton is to blame.

Rosberg accused his team-mate of being “extremely aggressive” as
they fought for the lead on the opening lap of the United States GP.

He lost out in the battle and later also lost the win to Hamilton after
running off the track. The British racer went onto claim the win and his
third World title.

But while it was a moment for celebration, Wolff admits Mercedes need
to deal with the opening lap antics.

“Yes, if we don’t take any action,” he told Autosport when asked if
Sunday’s tussle had the ‘potential to repeat’ Spa 2014.

“It’s never easy for things to cool down. It wasn’t easy the first time
around, but we have some experience. We just need to have a calm
approach, a firm approach of how we would like them to compete.”

The Mercedes motorsport chief does however believe that Rosberg has
a right to feel aggrieved over the incident.

“I think he [Rosberg] has reason to be upset for that particular
incident,” Wolff told Motorsport.com. “It was too hard and we need to
pick it up and discuss it.

“During the race I was happier because emotionally the race panned
out for Nico to win it, and that would have recovered the situation
finally.

“But Nico made that one mistake that cost him the race win. So I think
it is important that we sit down in a couple of days and discuss it
because we don’t want it to escalate in to something bigger.”

And with the title no longer at stake, Wolff acknowledges that the
“danger is, for sure, imminent” that Rosberg will treat his team-mate
different in future races.

And from Planetf1.com:

Nico Rosberg insists throwing the cap back at Lewis Hamilton
in Austin was "nothing, just typical games."

After losing the United States GP - and the World title - to
his team-mate a video of Rosberg appearing to vent his
frustrations made the rounds.

Hamilton tossed the runner-up’s cap to the German as he
prepared for the podium ceremony only for Rosberg to throw it
back at him.

This raised eyebrows, however, Rosberg insists it wasn’t a big
deal.

"The cap was nothing, just typical games," he told the
official F1 website.

As for what he needs to do in 2016 to dethrone Hamilton,
Rosberg says that is for another day.

"I haven’t thought about that yet. I’m still in today and
today’s a disappointment. I don’t know. What am I going to say
to that?

"Whatever happens in the past doesn’t change me going forward.
It’s always full attack, big push, that’s the way I am."

Despite his disappointment Rosberg later celebrated with
Mercedes before reportedly partying with Hamilton.

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 10-26-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
I think that for the past couple of races Hamilton has been less than respectful...
There were really two points I was trying to make: 1. that Nico needs to be aware of the presence of the world feed cameras, and express his frustrations privately. He comes off looking bad.

Second point was that I thought the 1st turn event was handled pretty well by both drivers. Hamilton had a much better start, got completely beside Rosberg, and while Hamilton pushed Rosberg way off-line, Rosberg kept his head, gave the position(s) up, came back and took the lead. Then he blew it and gave it back to Hamilton.

Nico's got to get the mistakes under control before he's going to be able to give Hamilton a run for his money.

BTW, I thought Rossi's drive was pretty good. Yeah, he was the last car running, BUT there were a lot of other drivers that took themselves out of the running in pretty trying conditions.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I think that for the past couple of races Hamilton has been less than respectful (I'll put it that way) with the forcing of Rosberg out of bounds. This became such an issue in the Michael Schumacher days with his "cut across the entire track and force your opponent into the wall before the first turn" routine (reason #329 I dislike MS) and now it appears that LH is seeing this as the way to glory. At some point it's going to dawn on Rosberg that the way to put an end to that crap is to let Lewis hit him.

Lewis says it was accidental. Hardly the skill set we'd expect from the guy the media is crowning "one of the top 5 ever" and all that malarkey.

I do agree that Rosberg needs to man up a bit but IMO he certainly has a legit beef.

I really do think that whatever the Merc team did and/or said to Rosberg after last year's Spa collision with Hamilton has damaged him deeply - he's been a different driver since then. He needs to man up in these situations, too. If he *lets* Hamilton be the dominant driver then he's got only himself to blame for all that flows from that. If he doesn't want the team (and the entire planet) to think of him as the #2 driver then he needs to quit BEING the #2 driver. He needs to learn from Verstappen who told his team to get bent a few races ago when they wanted him to let his teammate by.

From Autosport:

With Nico Rosberg’s disappointment palpable after losing to Lewis
Hamilton in Austin, Toto Wolff concedes Mercedes need to take action
to prevent a breakdown in the relationship.

Last season Mercedes had to cope with the fallout after Rosberg and
Hamilton clashed at Spa. The German was deemed responsible for that
collision, although this time around he feels Hamilton is to blame.

Rosberg accused his team-mate of being “extremely aggressive” as
they fought for the lead on the opening lap of the United States GP.

He lost out in the battle and later also lost the win to Hamilton after
running off the track. The British racer went onto claim the win and his
third World title.

But while it was a moment for celebration, Wolff admits Mercedes need
to deal with the opening lap antics.

“Yes, if we don’t take any action,” he told Autosport when asked if
Sunday’s tussle had the ‘potential to repeat’ Spa 2014.

“It’s never easy for things to cool down. It wasn’t easy the first time
around, but we have some experience. We just need to have a calm
approach, a firm approach of how we would like them to compete.”

The Mercedes motorsport chief does however believe that Rosberg has
a right to feel aggrieved over the incident.

“I think he [Rosberg] has reason to be upset for that particular
incident,” Wolff told Motorsport.com. “It was too hard and we need to
pick it up and discuss it.

“During the race I was happier because emotionally the race panned
out for Nico to win it, and that would have recovered the situation
finally.

“But Nico made that one mistake that cost him the race win. So I think
it is important that we sit down in a couple of days and discuss it
because we don’t want it to escalate in to something bigger.”

And with the title no longer at stake, Wolff acknowledges that the
“danger is, for sure, imminent” that Rosberg will treat his team-mate
different in future races.

And from Planetf1.com:

Nico Rosberg insists throwing the cap back at Lewis Hamilton
in Austin was "nothing, just typical games."

After losing the United States GP - and the World title - to
his team-mate a video of Rosberg appearing to vent his
frustrations made the rounds.

Hamilton tossed the runner-up’s cap to the German as he
prepared for the podium ceremony only for Rosberg to throw it
back at him.

This raised eyebrows, however, Rosberg insists it wasn’t a big
deal.

"The cap was nothing, just typical games," he told the
official F1 website.

As for what he needs to do in 2016 to dethrone Hamilton,
Rosberg says that is for another day.

"I haven’t thought about that yet. I’m still in today and
today’s a disappointment. I don’t know. What am I going to say
to that?

"Whatever happens in the past doesn’t change me going forward.
It’s always full attack, big push, that’s the way I am."

Despite his disappointment Rosberg later celebrated with
Mercedes before reportedly partying with Hamilton.

Z//
I watched the t1 replay a few as we all did. IMO Ham clearly forced Nico off way further and with deliberation, than should have been "allowed".

I think that can get in a drivers head & mess up a few laps if not a race.

NASCAR style should remain in NASCAR.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:42 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

There were really two points I was trying to make: 1. that Nico needs to be aware of the presence of the world feed cameras, and express his frustrations privately. He comes off looking bad.
No argument there except to say that the stakes these folks are playing for are high with commensurate disappointments. Note that it's taken Hamilton a few years to get his own emotional flareups and poutiness in check. (It seems to have coincided with finally ridding his life of Nicole Scherzinger.)

Second point was that I thought the 1st turn event was handled pretty well by both drivers. Hamilton had a much better start, got completely beside Rosberg, and while Hamilton pushed Rosberg way off-line, Rosberg kept his head, gave the position(s) up, came back and took the lead. Then he blew it and gave it back to Hamilton.
It was handled well but, IMO, it should never have happened. One or two fewer pounds of pressure on Hamilton's brake pedal and they both would have been showered by carbon fibre confetti (or worse.) My suspicion is that Hamilton fell prey to the semi-wet track and slid further than he wanted to which forced Rosberg off the track. That might have been something that Nico could have accepted *if* Hamilton hadn't done the same to him at the last round. Fool me once and all that...

Nico's got to get the mistakes under control before he's going to be able to give Hamilton a run for his money.
Indeed. But *everyone* was making mistakes at Austin. Including Hamilton. That's why these "changing conditions" races are almost always a treat. Whether NR can *ever* give LH a real run for his money, that's another question that's more than a little debatable.

BTW, I thought Rossi's drive was pretty good. Yeah, he was the last car running, BUT there were a lot of other drivers that took themselves out of the running in pretty trying conditions.
Rossi is good. And he's smart. He's quite aware that his only real competition (for now) is his teammate so he drives accordingly.

I really got a kick out of Grosjean's interview with Matchett where he was educated on what to expect from his new American supporters.

Z//
Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

That's why these "changing conditions" races are almost always a treat.
Absolutely!

Rossi is good. And he's smart. He's quite aware that his only real competition (for now) is his teammate so he drives accordingly.
BTW, I've lost track; has Rossi clinched 2nd in GP2?

I really got a kick out of Grosjean's interview with Matchett where he was educated on what to expect from his new American supporters.
I missed that one, I've got to go digging!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

BTW, I've lost track; has Rossi clinched 2nd in GP2?
No. With two races to go the points look like this:

Vandoorne 277.5
Rossi 169.5
Haryanto 126
Sirotkin 121
Lynn 90
Evans 90

There are two race weekends remaining this year (Sakir & Yas Marina) with a maximum number of points available 0f 44 per race weekend. So, mathematically any of those on this list below Rossi are still in the game. Rossi needs to come out of Sakir 45 points ahead of those behind him to nail it down.

I missed that one, I've got to go digging!
I believe it was during the Sunday morning qualifying show on CNBC. It was one of those pre-recorded packages. It was cute and funny but short and not really anything to bust your butt over trying to find.

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 10-28-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hamilton runs Rosberg off of the track in turn one at the Japanese Grand Prix and now at COTA. I really don't think that a driver with his talent does this by accident. While other drivers in the past have swerved all over the track to block or force off the opposition, Hamilton is doing this to his own teammate.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This isn't club racing. In that situation, Nico can brace himself and stand his ground and the carbon fly and fall where it may. If Hamilton hits him, then maybe Hammy thinks twice the next time, and maybe changes his mindset of "I can go wherever I want b/c I am ahead" (which is essentially what he said about the move).
Hammy certainly wouldn't try a move like that with Maldonado on the outside.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
This isn't club racing. In that situation, Nico can brace himself and stand his ground and the carbon fly and fall where it may. If Hamilton hits him, then maybe Hammy thinks twice the next time, and maybe changes his mindset of "I can go wherever I want b/c I am ahead" (which is essentially what he said about the move).
There ya go.

I think that Merc are (knowingly or not) fostering a situation with Hamilton and Rosberg that the "personal relationship geniuses" at Red Bull did with Vettel and Webber. They may *claim* to be even-handed but even a 6th grader watching from the outside would see what a steaming pile that idea is.

Or anywhere else within range of his car

Z//
Old 10-28-2015, 01:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben

I don't buy that Ham got caught out by the wet conditions on the turn, 100% deliberate IMO. Wish Nico had held his line.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Anyone who's interested in "insider" and "background" stories, should enjoy this new piece from Adam Cooper:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...-deal/?v=2&s=1

Z//
Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Z//
Yep, that was interesting when Steve commented how many fans are up at the odd hours to watch not only the GP but also FP, Quali, and basically anything we could get. RoGro was genuinely shocked. I guess EU residents are not aware that we are the country who has turned a 60 minute game (football) into a day long media hog where Superbowl tv coverage starts at 6 am.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by steve J06
Yep, that was interesting when Steve commented how many fans are up at the odd hours to watch not only the GP but also FP, Quali, and basically anything we could get. RoGro was genuinely shocked.
There was a written story this past weekend (can't find it now) that told a similar story from when he showed up at Haas' he was surprised by how many folks were there to greet him, etc.

I guess EU residents are not aware that we are the country who has turned a 60 minute game (football) into a day long media hog where Superbowl tv coverage starts at 6 am.
They wouldn't do that if people didn't watch it (which begs the question...)

And you're forgetting that those same EU folks have turned a simple "kick a ball around in the park" game into *hundreds* of games played every week in every podunk village across the continent; played almost as blood sport. The fans actually kill *each other* now and then just to be sure everyone's paying attention to a game seemingly designed to put you to sleep.

Z//

Quick Reply: Formula One - United States - TV Times (U.S.)