Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question re Raybestos ST 43 compounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Quick question re Raybestos ST 43 compounds

I have an event coming up about 4 hours drive from home with a lot of track time. I have new bedded in Raybestos ST43 pads up front bedded in to some street conditioned newish rotors.

I can change rotors and pads at the track but would prefer not to unless I have to (I always have spares). Any issues with driving these pads this sort of distance considering they will be cold all the way.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that similar recently and had no performance issues. The pads were just noisy on the street.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 PM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have no issues.
My situation is very similar.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:24 AM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default st43

I daily drive my st43's during track season...stop excellent on the street, just noisy.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Same here........I drive my car to the track and only issue is noise on the street.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Soloontario
Pro

How about wear on the rotors and pads? Not really worried about noise or ability to stop as needed.

Should I cover up my brake ducts?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
How about wear on the rotors and pads? Not really worried about noise or ability to stop as needed.

Should I cover up my brake ducts?
Nah, don't worry about covering the brake ducts. Even doing that, you won't get them up to temp. on the street anyway. You won't notice any wear at all driving them a few hundred miles on the street.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:26 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They'll be fine on the street. You may not reach the optimal temp range, but they'll at least be in the functional temp range, which is wide on the ST43. I drove mine on the street a good bit without significant rotor or pad wear, and the bedding seemed to hold up fine despite the cool temps.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I just put these on as my first track pad coming from stoptechs. They feel great to me on the street and track so far... yes, they are noisy.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:50 PM
TAlli
Advanced

Like others have said, you'll be fine.

The thing I don't get is the pads didn't add significant noise vs. stock pads. Are they louder? yes, but a few reviews on here made them out to be the banshee of all brake pads when used on the street.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAlli
Like others have said, you'll be fine.

The thing I don't get is the pads didn't add significant noise vs. stock pads. Are they louder? yes, but a few reviews on here made them out to be the banshee of all brake pads when used on the street.
They can be banshees........right now my pads are pretty quiet, but I have not found a consistent pattern of noisy vs quiet.......just be prepared for those looks from other drivers when you pull up next to them as your brakes are literally screaming.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:50 PM
TAlli
Advanced

Originally Posted by harrydirty
They can be banshees........right now my pads are pretty quiet, but I have not found a consistent pattern of noisy vs quiet.......just be prepared for those looks from other drivers when you pull up next to them as your brakes are literally screaming.
Does it require a certain number of miles? I bought ST43 front and rear pads with new Centric rotors (front and rear).

Since then I have completed two 10/10ths track days at NCM. Also maybe 75 street miles and still pretty quiet.

A guy next to me at the track event was on Hawk DTC 60s and they were quite a bit louder when he was coming to a stop than I've ever been.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:51 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAlli
Does it require a certain number of miles? I bought ST43 front and rear pads with new Centric rotors (front and rear).

Since then I have completed two 10/10ths track days at NCM. Also maybe 75 street miles and still pretty quiet.

A guy next to me at the track event was on Hawk DTC 60s and they were quite a bit louder when he was coming to a stop than I've ever been.
Not sure I have found a pattern to whether they will be noisy or not. I just run them knowing they could be noisy on the street; however, they seem to be a bit noisier when braking gently vs hard, but it's difficult to brake hard during normal street driving.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Soloontario
Pro

I have been doing this long enough to have experienced Hawk Blue pads (not sure anyone uses these anymore). Wonderful feel and modulation but terrible release characteristics.

You COULD drive them on the streets but the pads were so abrasive they worked like mini-lathes on the rotors. Made the rotors nice and smooth but way too thin in no time and left a mess on the driveway the next time you washed the car.

No such issue with the Carbotechs I have used for the past 2 seasons but the Raybestos pads are new to me and I gather a bit more aggressive on the rotors.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soloontario
No such issue with the Carbotechs I have used for the past 2 seasons but the Raybestos pads are new to me and I gather a bit more aggressive on the rotors.
Nope, Raybestos ST43 pads are rotor-friendly........been using them for over 8 years, first on my Mustang, now on my C6z.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:34 AM
evo&stang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Nope, Raybestos ST43 pads are rotor-friendly........been using them for over 8 years, first on my Mustang, now on my C6z.
I'm considering using ST-43s on my weekend only (spirited driving and occasional track car) with Giro Disc 2pc rotors and wanted to know how many miles you were getting with those pads out of your rotors? I'm more concerned about rotor wear since the 2pc replacements are pricey.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by evo&stang
I'm considering using ST-43s on my weekend only (spirited driving and occasional track car) with Giro Disc 2pc rotors and wanted to know how many miles you were getting with those pads out of your rotors? I'm more concerned about rotor wear since the 2pc replacements are pricey.

Thanks.
I'm getting about 40 racing hours from the C6 front rotors on my C5, that's before the heat-checking gets too bad, but they're not wearing. Rears I got close to 80 racing hours before they cracked.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question re Raybestos ST 43 compounds

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM
evo&stang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I'm getting about 40 racing hours from the C6 front rotors on my C5, that's before the heat-checking gets too bad, but they're not wearing. Rears I got close to 80 racing hours before they cracked.
Do you only put the pads on at the track or do you also get some street use out of them? Wondering if an 80% to 20% split of street to track driving will eat the rotors (Giro Disc 2 piece) in under 20k miles.

Last edited by evo&stang; 11-12-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:26 AM
LateBreak
Pro

The car is a dedicated racecar now, but when I first built it I drove it on the street with these pads a good bit and there wasn't any visible wear. They're noisy, but don't seem to mind lower street temps for function or rotor wear, pad wear was fine on the street too.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LateBreak
The car is a dedicated racecar now, but when I first built it I drove it on the street with these pads a good bit and there wasn't any visible wear. They're noisy, but don't seem to mind lower street temps for function or rotor wear, pad wear was fine on the street too.
same here...........

Quick Reply: Quick question re Raybestos ST 43 compounds