Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 vs C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Smoltz
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default C5 vs C5Z

Looking to buy a street car primarily for use at HPDE. I know that for the same money the C5Z is the way to go over a C5, but what I am finding at least in my local market (New England) that I can buy a regular C5 for probably 4-5k less than a similar condition C5Z. I am having a hard time seeing the value in the extra money for my purposes (I don't care about being able to go a couple seconds faster). I know the Z weighs less, has more power and came with better suspension when it left the factory. But I can't help but think that with the 4-5k difference I could address some track prep that I would have to do either way (harness bar, seats, track pads, additional cooling). Am I missing something?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

Try driving both and see what you think. Numbers on paper don't really do justice to how they differ.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Smoltz
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have driven both and definitely prefer the C5Z, still struggling with the price delta. I know I like the Z more, just not sure I like it 30-40% more. :-)

I am finding clean C5 manual cars in the 75-85k mile range in the 13-15k range. Having a hard time finding a C5Z for less than 18-20k. Maybe I just need to keep looking and hold out. Seems like aside from being down on power the LS1 is pretty tough. I know that the suspension on the base C5 could use some upgrading but given the age and mileage of most of the C5Z out there at this point I am likely looking at some freshening up regardless. This car is going to be a pure track car, so trying not to break the bank right out of the gate.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd say you want a Z06. Not that there is anything wrong with a normal C5. But I prefer the non-creaky roof. More power is something most of us like. The gearing is better. There is ducting to the rear brakes (better than nothing). There are a lot of Z06's out there, even if it's a little higher mileage I vote that as you better choice. FRC's are the most rare and 'tweeners but at more Z06 like pricing.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,951 Likes on 5,344 Posts

The Z06 is also geared differently than the standard C5. 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 have different gear ratios. The difference is noticeable when you make the shift from 3rd to 4th since that is where the biggest gap in ratios is located.

That difference also makes the Z one hell of an autocross car Vs the C5. On very high speed tracks where you need to use 5th gear the C5 OD is higher than the C5Zs so it is harder for the lower HP engine to pull the car faster.

The gearing is probably the main reason the Z has a little worse gas mileage.

Bill
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Z51 equipped base car could help bridge some of that suspension disparity.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was set on a Z06 and the condition I wanted (under 50k miles) I couldn't find a Z06 under $25k. The closest I found was one with 60k miles listed for $23k that I drove and it had a bad synchro discovered on the test drive... After looking at 3 different Z06s, I bought my '99 FRC with 30k miles for $17k however.

It also depends on what you want to do with the car. I put my FRC in STU and the chassis will end up far beyond what the Z06 offers. Just lacks the LS6 power and the shorter 1-3 gearing. But I don't personally like the M12 gearset for the track. 3rd gear topping out at 100 mph and then doing over 140 mph in 4th gear seems a little annoying.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoltz
I could address some track prep that I would have to do either way (harness bar, seats, track pads, additional cooling). Am I missing something?
Buy a car that has already had this track prep done, it costs a lot of money and adds ZERO resale value.

As for Z06 vs regular cars, if I could do it over again I'd get a base/z51 coupe every time. Better 3-4 track gearing, better autox classing (STU), better trunk with the hatch for carrying stuff to the track, the removable top is fun on the street and convenient for autox, the little bit of extra weight is mostly in the back which actually makes the car more balanced anyway, and there are more of them available and at lower prices.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I was looking for a Z, but ended up with z51 due to pricing. I can't compare to Z on the track, but been a great car. AFAIK the main diff that can't be easily altered is tranny and FRC body... I have harness bar and tunnel plate, and don't have creaks.

Not sure how important a PS cooler is, but non-z51 should be fine too if you will mod suspension. Used springs are few 100 at most I think.

I did a few track mods that likely have to do anyway with either... which they add up.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM
2CrazyBob
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

I have driven both and definitely prefer the C5Z, still struggling with the price delta. I know I like the Z more, just not sure I like it 30-40% more. :-)

I am finding clean C5 manual cars in the 75-85k mile range in the 13-15k range. Having a hard time finding a C5Z for less than 18-20k. Maybe I just need to keep looking and hold out. Seems like aside from being down on power the LS1 is pretty tough. I know that the suspension on the base C5 could use some upgrading but given the age and mileage of most of the C5Z out there at this point I am likely looking at some freshening up regardless. This car is going to be a pure track car, so trying not to break the bank right out of the gate.
Hey Smoltz,
May have something of interest to you,2003 Z06 dual purpose HPDE/street car,typical mods (seats,harness bar,harnesses+) and upgrades (radiator,susp,intake+),new Toyo street tires and battery
many spare OEM wheels,track tires (Toyo,Conti),spares.It's higher mileage but has been very solid and reliable.
Was on same thought of eventually going track only, but finding less time nowadays to go.(only 4 track events last 2 years)
I would like to sell,feel like it would be close to your price range
email and I'll give you details - bbrammer@verizon.net
located in central va
Old 07-20-2015, 01:44 PM
2CrazyBob
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Smoltz,
May have something of interest to you,2003 Z06 dual purpose HPDE/street car,typical mods (seats,harness bar,harnesses+) and upgrades (radiator,susp,intake+),new Toyo street tires and battery
many spare OEM wheels,track tires (Toyo,Conti),spares.It's higher mileage but has been very solid and reliable.
Was on same thought of eventually going track only, but finding less time nowadays to go.(only 4 track events last 2 years)
I would like to sell,feel like it would be close to your price range
email and I'll give you details - bbrammer@verizon.net
located in central va
Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Buy a car that has already had this track prep done, it costs a lot of money and adds ZERO resale value.
This is the way to go, there are a couple for sale in the classifieds section. Less than you'd buy the car for and all the mods are already there. I rarely drive my car on the street now that I've done some track basics.......
Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
This is the way to go, there are a couple for sale in the classifieds section. Less than you'd buy the car for and all the mods are already there. I rarely drive my car on the street now that I've done some track basics.......
I concur!!!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:35 AM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Biggest issue on track with C5 or C5Z is cooling (and oiling when temps get too high and you take a high speed sweeper). I agree with going for one that is already track prepped (ideally with bigger radiator and/or oil cooler). Reliability benefits of Z (in addition to performance) include additional coolers and an oil pan with "wings" to help prevent oil starvation. If going to use primarily for HPDE, I'd definitely go Z.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:47 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Identical car. The slight differences do not equal 4000$ especially if you are going to mod it
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Identical car. The slight differences do not equal 4000$ especially if you are going to mod it
If he's conflicted with the difference in entry, what makes you think he wants to do HCI, coilovers, etc? At least that's the impression I got and no, they're not identical cars. There are enough small differences to necessitate real money spent to get a base model to outperform a Z.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 PM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
and no, they're not identical cars. There are enough small differences to necessitate real money spent to get a base model to outperform a Z.
This.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 vs C5Z

Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have both and am glad that I went with a hatch car for on the track. If it was a C6 that'd be a different story as the Z06 is hugely different than the base car, but on a C5 you can do up a base model to Z specs relatively cheap. Keep in mind that a number of things on the Z will still need to be upgraded, and that if you're new to running on the track, the base model engine is more than enough to learn with.

Sacrilege time: In my experience, most people at HPDE's don't have near the skill it takes to run a 400hp car near its limit. I'm not that good of a driver and have still passed a number of C6's and C5Z's at track days in my <300hp C5
Old 07-28-2015, 01:00 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
If he's conflicted with the difference in entry, what makes you think he wants to do HCI, coilovers, etc? At least that's the impression I got and no, they're not identical cars. There are enough small differences to necessitate real money spent to get a base model to outperform a Z.
Sorry, it's not. I think z guys are just mad because other than some hp, they feel identical, drive identical, brake identical, ect..
Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I don’t see how it could be night and day with a few mods… of course I need to justify my non-Z purchase. Basically Z vs Z51:

FRC and windshield for a few pounds and stiffness
Rear spring and dampeners
243 heads, cam, springs, PCV for HP and RPM… supposedly better oiling, but many 01+ have same block
Tranny ratios and stronger pressure plate + temp warning
More tire and larger wheels

Cam, springs, and headers will give you greater HP and similar RPM… but it is fairly tedious. Suspension is easy.

EDIT: I did look up stock track times and Z was 4sec faster on shortish track IIRC, which is a lot and a little surprising.

Last edited by Joshboody; 07-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 vs C5Z