Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT?

Yes, I'm digging up brake pad talk again.

I was going to get a set of the CarbonTech Panther+ pads, but after looking through some old messages maybe something else is a better choice.

After the Panther+ I was thinking about Hawk Blues, but the forum discussions seemed less than favorable. Now it appears that PFC is the way to go (bummer I missed the GP) I'm completely unfamiliar with their compounds. Also unsure of why people are running different year pads.

I typically run a few driver schools per year, will be changing back and forth between street and track pads, want average rotor life, better than OEM pad life, good modulation, and non-finish eating dust.

Any recommendations of manufacturer, compound, and year, and front/back differences?

I do have the DRM bias spring installed.

Here's the info I have on the CarboTech Pads (I just assumed that I'd be running them front and rear as spec'd for the 2000):

Panther + (track pad that can be used on street to drive to track)
150-1250 degF
.54-.56 Coef of frict
$149 F / $129 R

Panther XP (I didn't plan on using these)
Race only with R compound tires, not rec for street
250-1450 degF
.58-.60 Coef of frict
$166/$139

Oh ya, I've been reading that CarboTech uses Hawk material.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:52 PM
David Lively
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (Rx7Rob)

Call Fichtner for the Hawks; I had great results with them and you can't beat the price.
As a more expensive alternative, try the Porterfield R4. http://www.porterfield-brakes.com - I've run them on the C5 and a Ferrari 360 with fantastic results.

[Modified by David Lively, 1:27 PM 9/5/2002]
Old 08-07-2002, 11:25 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (David Lively)

I ran the hawk blacks, nasty evil dust that will rust everything in site. rusty rims, rusty suspension, rusty driveway, not to mention eating the rotors in no time.

this weekend I'm running the panther plus. I see you don't like them? what should I expect???
thx
Larry
Old 08-08-2002, 09:14 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (larryfs)

!@##!ASQW$!@3 F'n GD CRAP!! I typed in a long response and my machine crashed.

Here's a quick summary of what I've gleaned from reading all the previous brake postings:

Hawk black and blues: Need to be warmed up, don't want to use on the street, tough on rotors (very tough if the pads remain cold), corrosive dust, noisy, great initial bite.

PFC 01/99: Very expensive, fairly easy on rotors, good pad life, good stopping power.

CarboTech P+: About the same stopping power as stock, slightly longer life, easy on rotors, some have had delivery problems.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:55 AM
01C5fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my PFCs. I run the 01/99 setup. Have had them on for 5 or six track events and they have held up well. The fronts are probably just under 50%. They bring the car down from speed very fast with only moderate pedal pressure. I have not tried other brands, but these were recommended by several forum members with lots of track experience. They are pricey, but I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for". Good luck!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:37 AM
ET
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another Porterfield R4S user.Two years.I have nothing but nice things to say about them!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:41 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (01C5fan)

I really like my PFCs. I run the 01/99 setup. Have had them on for 5 or six track events and they have held up well....They bring the car down from speed very fast with only moderate pedal pressure. I have not tried other brands, but these were recommended by several forum members with lots of track experience. They are pricey, but I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for"...
Old 08-08-2002, 01:03 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Wilwood "J" compound or the PFC 01, or Hawk 12, 14 for track use, stock for street. The Hawk blues are not appropriate for a heavy car like a Corvette. I have used all of the above except the Carbotech, the above opinion is based on personal use. I used the Hawks alot, but have moved away from them and now like the Wilwood best. The thing I like about the Wilwood pads in general is that they have a very flat torque/temp curve and are way more rotor friendly compared to the Hawks (and about the same as the 01).

[Modified by ghoffman, 12:10 PM 8/8/2002]
Old 08-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (ghoffman)

Thanks everyone!

Think I'm going to try the PFC 01/99 if I can manage to still get them for the GP. Someone have a phone number??

If not, I'll give the CarboTech Panther + pads a try.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-08-2002, 06:56 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT?

in response to above comments:
my friend runs hawk blues on a C5 and loves them.

someone said panther + feels the same as street pads???
not on my car. I just stuck panther + in there for this weekend, and whoa .. what a difference from bendix street pads. totally different car. we'll see how they hold up at the track?
Larry
Old 08-08-2002, 06:58 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (larryfs)

on the carbotechs. you can get 10% off if you get a few people together. they give us F-body people 10%. don't let them Cryo your rotors unless you want to wait 2 months.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:07 PM
ifeeltheneedforspeed
Instructor

I run the Carbotech Panther plus pads. They are very rotor friendly. At all day road course events I run off about .100" of the pad. The pad material thickness (not counting the backing plate) is .375". I have never had them fade on the track (or otherwise).

Whoever said they are not much better than a stock pad is foolish :jester

I only have experience (on a C5) with the Carbotech, Durastops, and stock pads.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (ifeeltheneedforspeed)

The Group Purchase price is still available. Just last week I received a letter from the company stating I could buy another set at those prices. Just get their phone number from previous postings and they will give you the price. I haven't used them (PFC) but expect them to be better than the PFC 83s were on my 86 which I thought were great. I have used the Hawk HP Plus pads and found them to be about the same as the GM OEM pad. Not a lot of torque and very subject to tapering thus low pedal after a while on the track. I have been using the Hawk Blues the last couple of times I have been to a track event and they have been great. I haven't burned off the brake piston dust covers and they have a lot of brake torque so you just have to breathe your foot across the brake pedal to get plenty of stopping power. Currently they have been used for 3 days of track sessions and still have about 40% of the pads left with minimal pad taper. They are hard on the rotors until they warm up and then are more forgiving. I have the GM thick cheek rotors on the front and I could probably get another track day out of them. Hopefully, the PFCs will give me the same performance without the rotor wear. It really is a trade off some times between pad price and rotor wear. The Blues cost less while the PFC 01s are supposed to be more rotor friendly but they cost a lot more. In total the cost may be the same once everything is considered in the equation.
Bill
Old 08-08-2002, 10:37 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill Behling
Behling Racing Equipment
5170 North 125th Street
Butler, WI 53007

(800) 255-4117
(262) 783-7474
Old 08-12-2002, 01:40 AM
Mako
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (C5inNY)

What is the difference between PFC Zs and PFC '01s?
Old 08-12-2002, 03:13 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (Mako)

PFC Z's are aggressive street pads. PFC 01's are serious race pads. The PFC 01 pad is used on StockCars (i.e. Winston Cup cars) and CART race cars. And not some exotic compound PFC makes for the race teams... it's the exact same pad material in the C5 pad.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Mako
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (Dreamin)

Do the PFC 01s chew up the rotors? Sounds like they would. Sometimes we have to choose between the pad and the rotor (windshield and bug thing).

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT?

Old 08-13-2002, 08:40 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Thanks all!!

I ended up with the PFC 01/99. Went with 99 on the rear because I already have the bias spring installed. PFC cautioned me about being careful when driving to the track with these pads on. They said to leave lots of room between me and the car in front when driving on the highway because the pads will cool down.

Old 08-13-2002, 05:14 PM
01C5fan
Racer

The PFC 01s are very easy on rotors.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:36 PM
Mansier
Intermediate

Default Re: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT? (01C5fan)

PFC's are the deal!

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - PFC, Hawk, or CarboT?